Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • NHS Health and Safety
  • BullFrog
    Free Member

On boxing day my Nan was taken into hospital 🙁

That evening the tea lady came round offering warm drinks to the patients. I asked if i could buy a cup of tea from her. She told me she wasn't allowed to provide any drinks to visitors and directed me to the nearby vending machine.

Now, this ward is full of old people who are unfortunately a little doddery. I was worried watching some of them trying to pick up a large mug of tea/coffee and watching it spill from the table to their mouth.
    I went to the vending machine and got a nice Mocha. I walked back to the ward to be stopped by the staff nurse. She told me i couldn't go into the ward with a hot drink for Health and Safety reasons. I asked her why and she said "In case i spilled it over a patient or any visitors" She then said i could drink it in the day room. This room was enormous and had one elderly man sitting in the far corner. She wouldn't let me in in case i spilt it on him.

Needless to say i binned the Mocha and sat with my Nan.

Has STW got any other stupid H&S stories?

BF

jon1973
    Free Member

Unfortunately we're now living in a 'no win no fee' culture which makes organisations like the NHS paranoid about H&S and getting sued. It's only going to get worse.

We're victims of our own greed.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Here we go…

I take my daughter to work now and again in the lorry. A lot of my work involves telephone exchanges. My daughter (8) need to go to the little girls room. In this particular exchange (york) the loilets are directly behind the loading bay where I was parked. I took her hand and led her through. I was informed by the security guard that she could not use them as she was a "fire hazard". WTF.!

I informed him that she was going for a slash and not a crafty fag.

smell_it
    Free Member

My Nan's in a care home, and one of the other old girls and her have become good friends. Both are pretty confused and their communication is pretty garbled, but in their own way they offer each other a lot of comfort. We role up twice a week and over recent months we had stopped taking my Nan out for lunch and the like as they were both getting upset when seperated. Staff take them out to the pub for lunch etc, and despite being confused neither are any fuss when out, and neither require any personal care support when out. So I had the idea that we could take them both out for lunch, as both enjoy being out and about together, and we were quite happy to pay for my Nan's mate (she has no family so only has just over £20 a week for bits and bob's). But the home won't let this happen for H&S, as they can't risk assess it, police checks, no family to check with etc etc. It's a shame, but I don't really blame the home, must admit I agree whole heartedly with jon1973.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘NHS Health and Safety’ is closed to new replies.