Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • nexus 7 rescue
  • richardkennerley

My nexus 7 is sometimes pretty much unuseable, when it first connects to wifi it takes an age to get going, quite often locks up, sometimes I get a warning that launcher has stopped, or UI.

I’ve done a factory reset which speeded it up for a few weeks, but I’m back to knackered again. Regularly wipe cache partition but that doesn’t help much. I’ve got the bare minimum app’s wise, no photo’s/videos/music stashed on it. There’s plenty spare memory.

Any tips for speeding it up e.g is there an alternative launcher that works? Or is it just old and outdated and in need of replacing?

Only need it for emails, chrome and kindle app really.

Cougar

2012 version? I got a new lease of life on mine by installing an AOSP ROM from XDA.

nuke

Don’t think old/outdated is reason… we have 3 nexus 7 (2 original and 1 2013 version) and they’re all running fine. One thing we haven’t done is updated to the latest Android version after reading horror stories of slow running so first question would be what version of Android have you installed?

richardkennerley

I’m on 5.1.1.

Once it’s got going it works ok, but I can waste 10 minutes trying to gently coax it into life. It’s like an old pc that takes forever to boot up..

Cougar

That’s your problem. Lollipop killed the 2012 Nexus 7. (Also, if you have the Facebook app installed, remove it.)

I’m running the first Marshmallow AOSP ROM I found. For example,

http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-7/development/rom-6-0-android-marshmallow-pure-aosp-t3226012 (Wi-Fi version, the 3G one will need a different ROM).

richardkennerley

I’ve downloaded those files but Nexus just says “can’t open file.” I’m a bit of a cretin, I take it it is more complicated than that!

I’ve seen an alternative AOSD download which involves connecting tablet to computer and getting all sorts of new boot loaders etc, I’m not really sure what I’m doing with stuff like that. Plus I don’t have a computer I can connect it to!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘nexus 7 rescue’ is closed to new replies.