• This topic has 14 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by nixie.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Nexus 6, Moto X or something else?
  • petrieboy

I picked up a Sony m4 Aqua for my wife a few months ago following positive feedback on here. 8g was the only option but as her old nexus 4 was an 8gig and the Sony has a card slot, I wasn’t too bothered.

It’s not as simple as that because android and all the useless bloat ware Sony insist on is on there, there’s less than 2g left and whilst you can move some of the apps to storage, it’s not all of them and some just won’t work from storage (sonos controller in particular)

She only really uses her phone for photos, social media, online banking and a few remote control apps for sonos, TiVo, Xbmc etc so no gaming or big stuff. But it’s just too much of a ball ache to clear cache and remove apps just to free up enough space to update the banking app so it’s getting binned

So now I’m looking at the deals on the moto X and nexus – both are £250 with 32g storage. Both claim to be pure android (which is very appealing) so other than one being huge and the other enormous (not really an issue either way) I can’t really see any meaningful differences? But they sell both handsets so I must be missing something??

Priority is a decent camera and a reliable device that will work smoothly now and with a bit of luck beyond the next update.

slackboy

16Gb motorola moto g for £169 at amazon. Good phone.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Both good phones. Nexus 6 has no expandable memory ie no sd card slot the nexus 6 made by moto anyway. Very similar specs on paper but the sd slot a must imo as in reality there will be about 25gb of free useable space after os etc.

The moto g is a good little phone just one issue… The speaker on calls breaks frequently (research online just to see how bad it is) i got the father in law to buy one he loved it until 5 month donw the line he told me “it sounds tinny and crackles”.

Sent to moto for repair and two weeks later same again. Sent him. New handset and 6 weeks later… You get the idea he gained a third replacement and sold on.

Moto know about this issue and the speaker is a pain to get to and put back a well known weak point.

spooky_b329

I had similar on my Z3, phone out of space. Checked the cache and it was around 5gb, but when I went to check which apps were hogging all the space, all their caches came to a fraction of that. So I just cleared the lot. No issues since and I’ll never know what was clogging it up…

thegreatpotato
    Free Member

Would the OnePlus 2 be a contender for spec/price? They’re buyable invite-free for Black Friday.

petrieboy

The Moto X that’s on offer is the 2nd gen which I assume is the old one (doesn’t appear to have a card slot) but with 32g for £250 It’s better than the 1.3gig on the Sony!

Moto G is out if it’s likely to be unreliable, especially when he higher spec models are only a wee bit more money.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Apparently the nexus 5 is in the clearance bin around the world, cracking phone on pure android. The moto has the same feel. Been pure android for over 2 years and it’s great, just got the 6p which is a very nice phone.

Kuco

Very happy with my Moto G. On the flip side I looked at a M4 Aqua but was put off with all a lot of negative comments about the camera.

retrorick

Huewei Honor 7. That’s what I went for. Decent camera, cpu, expandable memory, 6.0 early next year, made by the company thats making one of the google phones. £209 I think is the current price but £250 otherwise.

mikey74
    Free Member

Don’t get the Moto G if taking pictures is important to you: in good light, the camera is average; in poor light it’s terrible.

midlifecrashes

The Moto X Play in the offers is a newish phone, came out late summer, 1080 screen, Sony sensor 23MB camera, huge battery, SD card slot which takes 128MB cards, maybe more. Migrated my stuff to it today, it seems fast and easy to use. Camera seems very good. Only two non-stock android items, one called Droid which is a voice activation gimmick like OK Google, the other a migration tool for shuffling your stuff from your old phone. Neither were activated and using RAM until you used them. Marshmallow version of Android due for it in early December.

Lazgoat
    Free Member

LG G4, a pretty decent phone and great camera, has dropped massively in price recently.

peterfile
    Free Member

Moto X is £199 today on Amazon.

I’m thinking of picking one up as my 3rd Nexus 5 is currently away being repaired/binned.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Bought my partner and daughter a Moto X 2014 each in an earlier sale this year. It’s a lovely phone, nice in the hand, good size as long as you’re a non-hobbit, lovely screen, pure-ish android (although no marshmallow yet), camera is ok, although not that fast or great in low light, plus I see that Moto Maker is free at the moment. The 32bit 801 processor is a match for any of this year’s 64bit Snapdragon processors in real world use.

Moto X Play is also worth looking at if you want a larger phone with massive battery. Nexus 6 is massive but a very good phone (particularly if you turn off the encryption which I believe slows it down, although not sure if they fixed that) and has pure android, should be supported by Google for the next two major software releases.

nixie

Moto X Play looks pretty good to me, tempted to order one today.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Nexus 6, Moto X or something else?’ is closed to new replies.