Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Newsnight tonight – individual or collective responsibility?
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Could be interesting tonight – the euro followed by:

Plus, in the light of a survey which suggests that Britons are less willing than ever to pay higher taxes to support the National Health Service, schools or the environment, is the UK moving more towards an attitude of individual responsibility?

The survey quoted is the British Social Attitudes survey that concludes:

Last year we reported that continuing concern about the gap between rich and poor wasn’t matched by support for welfare and redistribution. This year that trend is confirmed….We’re living in a society where a sceptical public appear unconvinced by our current collective responses to…welfare, inequality, housing or the environment. Less engaged or willing to make sacrifices for the common good during challenging times, the British public increasingly sees it as the responsibility of the individual to get through.

Is history repeating itself?

http://ir2.flife.de/data/natcen-social-research/igb_html/content.php?bericht_id=1000001&lang=ENG&ref=&pic=21

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

TJ – i though this would be your cup of tea. Newsnight has gone a bit down market recently but this could be a good debate.

totalshell

that spending on health care debate grows ever more as more and more people begin to appreciate the vast scale and rewards of the work force, far from every one is on minimum wage and a large proportion will recieve a handsome retirement package well before they reach state pension age
    as this divide grows so will resentment on the monies spent on health care and already the welsh assembly is saying that it will reduce health care spending.
    the recent public sector strikes that were recently well supported by health care workers only served to reinforce that many health care workers will not strike because of reduced services to the public, but threaten to reduce thier personal benefits and they will walk out.

druidh
    Free Member

“British” Social attitudes survey? I’d like to see that broken down by country/region as I suspect the North-South divide would soon be apparent.

Stoner
    Free Member

druidh, in the support tables they show ENgland and Scotland splits to the peception questions.

Try P49 and 50, 51 (see end of url)
    http://ir2.flife.de/data/natcen-social-research/igb_html/content.php?bericht_id=1000001&lang=ENG&ref=&pic=49

druidh
    Free Member

Stoner – thanks. I was thinking there would be a similar difference within Englandandwales too.

druidh
    Free Member

Woah – I just saw Prof. John Curtice get a mention there. I’d put a big red “read with caution” flag on any of that report if he’s has a major say in it.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Why is that druidh ( I am being too lazy to look myself!)?

CountZero

Totalshell; read william burroughs much, have we? Long screeds, with no capitalisation, and almost no punctuation,
    makes it very difficult to make sense of what you’re trying to say.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Am I the only one who the more I am told I should be doing something, the less I want to do it? Enforce national consideration and you won’t get it from me. Ignore me and I’ll help.
    Just wondering.

mattsccm
    Free Member

We are getting more selfish.I am. My point of view about the recent strike was that it cost me, as a supply teacher, a days money. Can’t afford to think about anything else this week.
    I do wish it was otherwise.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its hardly surprising when for decades we have been fed propaganda on a huge scale that says government spending is bad, the health service and other public services are rubbish and inefficient and now that public servants are lazy and have gold plated pensions paid for by the taxpayer. All nonsense, all pushed by the right wing press for decades.

Its hardly suprising this “big lie” has had an effect

TheBrick
    Free Member

Individual responsibility only works on issues where we experence the conquence of our actions. Issues srrounding the enviroment is an area where this does not hold true.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Sorry for flagging this – it was actually a pretty dull program and shame that this item was left to the end with two rather weak guests. 😥

Keep it up TJ – good to see you never flag! Perhaps the RWP are merely the counterbalance to most people’s experiences!!

Frodo

Its hardly suprising this “big lie” has had an effect ….

meanwhile …back in the real world 😈

stumpyjon

Don’t read the written press, but my experiences with public services never cease to disappoint or infuriate. I’m sick of being made to feel like I be should grateful for receiving services that I have paid for through my taxes.

Tat’s why most working people are less and less inclined to contribute to the state coffers.

Its hardly surprising when for decades we have been fed propaganda on a huge scale that says government spending is good, the health service and other public services are there to serve the puiblic and we have choices about how to recieve those services. Public servants are hard working saints doing absolutely essential jobs that no one else could or is prepared to do. All nonsense, all pushed by success governments and the unions.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Newsnight tonight – individual or collective responsibility?’ is closed to new replies.