Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • "New"shape Mondeo question.
  • zippykona

We currently have a mk3 1.8 petrol. The new shape comes in 1.6 or 2.0 engines.
    For such a big car is the 1.6 big enough? Mrs Zip mainly drives it around town , but if we are going any distance it tends to be 4 up.
    Are we doomed to stay in the slow lane in a 1.6 or should we go for the 2.0? Is there much of an mpg difference?

speed12
    Free Member

The 1.6 is turbocharged and will be plenty in a Mondeo (~160hp/240Nm I believe), significantly more ‘gutsy’ than our current 1.8 – you will notice quite a big difference. From what you have said above, I’d say the 1.6 would be ideal.

daveh
    Free Member

As above, 1.6 ecoboost is a very nice engine, a far better choice than the 2.0.

renton
    Free Member

My old man has a 58 plate mondy with the 1.6 non turbo engine and it is horrendous!!

New ecoboost one is meant to be a very good engine!

zippykona

I’m always a bit turbo phobic as we will obviously be paying to look after it and it just seems like an extra really expensive bit to go wrong.
    Am I living in the past?

porter_jamie

on the other hand there is a non turbo 1.6 with a 5 sp gearbox and it is shockingly slow!

rocketman
    Free Member

Are we doomed to stay in the slow lane in a 1.6

Yes

Mondeo is a big old barge and although the 1.6 may seem pokey enough on paper it’ll be a horrible experience in practice. My 1.6 Focus was adequate – no more – and a test drive in an ecoboost Mondeo felt as flat as a fart.

2.0 TD takes an eternity to warm up but has gobs of creamy torque and is a joy to drive. 50 mpg most of the time driven with a modicum of mechanical sympathy.

Hopeless as a town car though imho.

DezB
    Free Member

My 2.0l petrol estate feels underpowered after the Saab turbo I had before.
    Dunno anything about the 1.6

strackbaz
    Free Member

Can’t comment on the petrol engines but I have the 1.6 tdi eco centric (I think it’s around 115bhp). It’s a fantastic car. I thought it’d be too underpowered due to it’s size, but it copes well with town, country & motorway. Overtaking is fine. I return an average of 53mpg.

My colleague has the 2.0 tdi, which I also drive regularly. There’s very little difference around town, but the larger engine becomes more apparent on the motorway. He returns 39mpg.

I get to order another car soon and I can choose from most mainstream manufacturers. I’ll be having another mondeo, probably an estate this time. The heated windscreen is excellent 🙂

SkillWill
    Free Member

I used to have the 1.6 turbo and it was OK once it was up to speed, very efficient fuel-wise but I now have the 2.0 turbo and prefer it.

I concur with strackbaz about the mpg values, I had similar. If you’re after pokey and are happy with ~40mpg get the 2.0, if you are happy to be slower but like 50+mpg get the 1.6

Think the 1.6 might be £0 VED as well?

strackbaz
    Free Member

SkillWill – Member
    Think the 1.6 might be £0 VED as well?

It is indeed nil road tax, I had to physically check the tax disc 🙄

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘"New"shape Mondeo question.’ is closed to new replies.