Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • News page – silent EFNEO hub
  • cynic-al
    Free Member
    Conan257
    Free Member

I don’t really get how it works, but haven’t thought about it that much…

I’d be interested to know what the difference in friction is between their hub and a Hope hub, for example.

brakes
    Free Member

it works because it’s been scribbled on in green pen.
    it doesn’t describe well how it works, only that instead of remaining static, the engagement mechanism (pawl/ roller) rotates so that wear is reduced. silence is a bi-product of this.
    surely it would be easy enough to publish a 3D animation of how it works.

Karl33to
    Free Member

Sorry, our website is currently unavailable on mobile devices

Sack the developer!

njee20
    Free Member

And, as I commented on the article, I like how they say “just as durable and lightweight as the pawl-and-ratchet freewheels” then say: “Active Hub is about 50-100 grams heavier than traditional hubs of the same class.”

So what’s “the same class”? I assume they’re talking about a heavy hub, otherwise they’d just say “it weighs x grammes”… Wehay, deceiving buyers, where do I sign up!?

BigJohn

An untested and heavy solution to something that isn’t a problem.

All this drag of which he speaks…

When I turn my bike upside town, wind up the cranks and let the pedal go, there isn’t enough drag to keep them going round.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

And also, clicky freehubs are brilliant.

moshimonster
    Free Member

Yep, love the sound of a quality free hub. It would seem odd without it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

does no one else have flashbacks of the silent clutch shimano hub that came on the classifieds usually with some horrible clothing for sale every week , sometimes twice a week.

Flaperon

The rollers are not grinding at all so the rollers do not wear out nearly as quickly as other roller freewheels did.

They’re not selling it to me, to be honest. So they still wear out quickly, just not *as* quickly!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Glad no one else understands it – I thought I was being thick.

There was a high end clutch hub in the 80s that lasted about a week, before the Shimano ones.

crocodilian
    Free Member

Does anyone care about the minutiae of “take-up”, is this a thing now? Can you even notice it?

STATO
    Free Member

does no one else have flashbacks of the silent clutch shimano hub that came on the classifieds usually with some horrible clothing for sale every week , sometimes twice a week.

Did you know you can get a disc version of that hub!? Ive just built one up for the cross bike, weighs a ton!

cynic-al
    Free Member

crocodilian – Member
    Does anyone care about the minutiae of “take-up”, is this a thing now? Can you even notice it?

Yup, various have been saying how they prefer hub “x” with 240 engagement points or whatever.

Must save at least 0.3s over a 24 hour race

brakes
    Free Member

trials riders like lots of engagement points.
    I think my freewheel has 30 which seems like plenty to me and it didn’t seem worth another £10 for another 30, or another £30 for another 90!

TimothyD
    Free Member

As far as I can gather from the picture, it works because the internal rollers can’t move out of the way of the flat faces of the nut shaped piece in the centre of the free-wheel when that piece moves, and then when the piece on the inside doesn’t move and the rider free-wheels, they act as roller bearings as the circle around the outside moves around them.

Something like that…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘News page – silent EFNEO hub’ is closed to new replies.