Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 268 total)
  • News of the World RIP
  • j_me
    Free Member

Allegedly this Weekend’s issue will be the last.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

BOOM!

Alcopop
    Free Member

And all this Sunday’s revenue going to good causes looks like news international attempting a bit of damage limitation …but will it be enough?
    glad to see NOTW go though

Stoner
    Free Member

with ad income evaporating….well, inevitable.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

i can’t be alone in hoping the Daily Mail has done some phone hacking as well…

derp
    Free Member

…and Ms Brooks strolls off into the sunset.

Stoner
    Free Member

If the Daily Mail didnt exist, youd have to invent it though HH.

donsimon
    Free Member

Allegedly this Weekend’s issue will be the last.

I have it on good authority, although I clearly can not publish either the transcripts or the original voicemail messages, that this is indeed true.

Klunk
    Free Member

to be replaced by the sunday sun no doubt.

j_me
    Free Member

I’m sure they will just rebrand it “the World of News” and have a relaunch next week.

nickf
    Free Member

This Sunday’s issue of the News of the World will be the last edition of the paper, News International chairman James Murdoch has said.

No ‘allegedly’ about it. They must be desperate for the Sky deal to go through to take this step…..

project
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14070733

A sad day as the ones responsible responsible will now not be sacked, but made redundant or transfered probably.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I’ll believe it when I see it. I reckon sales may well increase this w/e and advertisers will find it hard to stay away

j_me
    Free Member

They must be desperate for the Sky deal to go through to take this step…..

I dunno have you seen sky’s share price? I bet they are secretly delighted.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Surely they’ll just replace it with the Sun on Sunday or something similar

Drac

I have it on good authority, although I clearly can not publish either the transcripts or the original voicemail messages, that this is indeed true.

It’s Ok we can read it on the BBC website too.

Feeble attempt to win public back.

maccruiskeen

Is there going to be room at the Daily Star for all these former NOTW bent journos? Clive Goodman’s going to end up having to share a desk. He’ll hate that 🙂

nickf
    Free Member

Not sure this will work though; for NI to take this step they’ve effectively rolled over and accepted that they’re fully culpable.

Rebekah Brooks will clearly go, but the real question is what happens to the rest of the organisation, the one that for the last five years has consistently covered up the fact that they were absolutely guilty as charged.

As someone who detests Sky, The Sun, The News Of The World and all that they stand for, this is almost as good a day as when I heard Thatcher had resigned. Not quite as good, obviously, but still well worth celebrating.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Interesting to see who blinks first.

The people pulling their adverts are on a ‘moral’ bandwagon at the moment, but how long before Ford start realising Volkswagen are still advertising (and presumably getting sales due to the adverts…).

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

What “news” are they going to put in it?
    They ARE the biggest story.

Drac

The people pulling their adverts are on a ‘moral’ bandwagon at the moment, but how long before Ford start realising Volkswagen are still advertising (and presumably getting sales due to the adverts…).

Advertise in what?

TooTall
    Free Member

to be replaced by the sunday sun no doubt.

You’ll be a Southerner then.

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/

A Geordie stalwart paper.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Advertise in what?

Good point I suppose if they bring NOTW down. Though expect the prices of advertising Fords to go up on Sky if Murdoch gets the hump!

Drac

Good point I suppose if they bring NOTW down.

It’s gone, that was my point.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’ve always seen the NOTW as a “Sunday Sun” anyway…in much the same way as The Observer is a “Sunday Guardian”…is that miles off the mark?

Klunk
    Free Member

poor old Max Clifford what he going to do now !

Junkyard
    Free Member

no DD spot on really in that they have the same views and from the same stable bit different editorships and writers [ if that sounds sarcastic it is not meant to]
    Yes nice bold PR move but ditching NOTW which is dead now anyway and launching the Sunday Sun is quite a clever ploy.
    Nice to see them running scared for once.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I’ve always seen the NOTW as a “Sunday Sun” anyway…in much the same way as The Observer is a “Sunday Guardian”…is that miles off the mark?

Pretty much bang on. Assuming that there is commercial life left in trashy Sunday papers it wouldn’t take a great deal of effort to spend 6 months putting together a new brand identity and launching a new companion paper for the Sun.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

the notw also ran real investigative journalism agaist bad guys as well as the salacious stuff. It was a whole cut above the sun

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oh right, I thought the writers were shared…I stand corrected.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

The Sunday sport must be rubbing there hands. Whilst the new readers of said paper will be rubbing something else entirely. 😯

project
    Free Member

200 staff to loose their jobs= 200 people with a grudge against murdoch,

Oh good times ahead

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

We are not alone in our cynicism;

Justice Secretary Ken Clarke said: “All they’re going to do is rebrand it” and former deputy prime minister Lord Prescott, who alleged his phone was hacked, thought the decision was simply a gimmick.

Rio

200 staff to loose their jobs= 200 more people with a grudge against murdoch,

Nice thought, but a drop in the ocean really.

ciderinsport
    Free Member

All papers are suffering, with dropping reader numbers and dropping advertising revenues, so dropping one will probally do him a favour.

The regular readers will be informed of what to buy next week in this last issue…. 😉

200ish less staff to pay, one less print run etc etc etc

richmars

Just heard the website sunonsunday was registered a few days ago.

Drac

Really?

Domain Name: SUNONSUNDAY.COM
    Registrar: REGISTER.IT SPA
    Whois Server: whois.register.it
    Referral URL: http://we.register.it
    Name Server: NS1.TH.SEEWEB.IT
    Name Server: NS2.TH.SEEWEB.IT
    Updated Date: 25-sep-2010
    Creation Date: 24-sep-2007
    Expiration Date: 24-sep-2011

richmars

Really?

According to BBC News.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

the co.uk was registered on the 5th July.

Although it looks to be a domain name squatter to me.

Drac

.net looks like it was created today.

Domain servers in listed order:

NS1.MONIKERDNS.NET 208.73.210.41
    NS2.MONIKERDNS.NET 208.73.211.42
    NS3.MONIKERDNS.NET 208.73.210.43
    NS4.MONIKERDNS.NET 208.73.211.44

Record created on: 2011-07-07 12:22:50.0
    Database last updated on: 2011-07-07 12:34:50.42
    Domain Expires on: 2012-07-07 12:22:50.0

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 268 total)

The topic ‘News of the World RIP’ is closed to new replies.