Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Newquay – Pump/Easy BMX track for the nippers, family & MTB rides
  • gazc
    Free Member

I’m heading down there from the North East in July for a week with the family, my brother who’s a roadie but will give mtb a go and 4 under-5’s in tow. Never been with the bike so don’t know where to start… Can anyone point my in the direction of any pump tracks around there as they love pottering around on them? We’ll be staying at one of the campsites near Porth. Also any good family friendly bike rides and then any pointers for some actual trails when i can get out for a dawn blast? Cheers

orena45

Lanydrock has some good beginner trails and a skills area. Also has a dual track.

We’re severely lacking in pump tracks in Cornwall but there is a free one down at Penryn, access off Lamb’s Lane.

Otherwise there’s The Track near Portreath with a pump track and BMX track as well as dirt jumps, or Falmouth Bike Park.

Cardinham Woods (near Lanydrock) is good for a blast or for more nature, tech trails, head to Grogley Woods near Bodmin.

Links to all locations available on my blog link page 🙂

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i was going to say the track (good but expensive), and lanhydrock too.

orena45 whats the bike park in par like?

orena45

Woody’s Bike Park – not open yet but is soon. I’ve only seen what’s been posted up online or what was in Slice of British Pie 2. There’s supposed to be some stuff for us mortals in there too though 😆

longmover
    Free Member

The Track has just had a lot of rework done to it and is running well at the moment. You can link Cardinham and Lanhydrock fairly easily which makes a nice ride.

prawny

Personally I’d do 2 laps of Cardinham (skip the big climb/descent on one of the laps, as the shorter descent is also fun)rather than go over to Lanhydrock again but YMMV. The little dual course is fun but a bit meh otherwise.

longmover
    Free Member

The cake at the Woods Cafe at Cardinham is worth the trip, as are the sausage rolls.

gazc
    Free Member

excellent links and tips there chaps, much appreciated! i’d probably give the free pump track a go, don’t really want to pay out for me and the lad to hold up the traffic 🙂

Cardinham and Lanhydrock look ideal for the partners to go for a walk if we have to drive there too. cheers!

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

you can roll around the track merrily, its not that busy and its not crazy big jumps everywhere. its good fun actually. i used to go with my boy when he was young and ride myself, even went totally overboard and bought myself a lovely spec yeti dj. only reason i dont play there now when the boy goes is that he is 14 and has to pay full adult rate, and they put their prices up this year, so for both of us its really expensive. as it is he only goes for the late session that is £7.50 from 2.30-5pm. its a great place and i really admore what the owners have created but they have fallen into the same trap as mount hawke just up the road and do not seem to realise that teenage kids are brought by parents, and if they did a combined rate they would get more people as dads and mums would pay to play too.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Newquay – Pump/Easy BMX track for the nippers, family & MTB rides’ is closed to new replies.