Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Newly bought second-hand forks play/'clunk' – is this a problem?
  • poppa
    Free Member

Hi all, recently purchased some second-hand Magura Menja 130mm forks here on the classifieds. I have finally built them up onto a new frame, but they seem to have some movement between the lowers and the uppers.

I first noticed it when testing the headset for play – I had the front brake on and rocked the bike backwards and forwards. I could feel a slight movement and hear a clunk with each rocking motion. When I grabbed the lowers and uppers firmly in each hand and gave them a tug I also could feel a slight movement. It doesn't appear to be the headset.

So, combined wisdom of the STW forums… my questions:

Is this a known fault with this fork?
    Is this dangerous or a problem?
    Is there anything I can do about it?
    How much will it cost?

I am a bit concerned as I don't have much spare income and I spent it all on these bloody forks. Thank you in advance for your help!

forge197
    Free Member

Sounds likes the bushes.

forge197
    Free Member

Should have added bushes are a wear and tear item, I have the same with a set of RS Revs at the moment need to send them to TF in the New Year to be sorted, not sure what the cost will be.

hora
    Free Member

OP- depends how the seller described the forks. If they say the forks were recently serviced then the seller needs to recompess you. I wouldnt stand for it if they were described as 'littled used' either or if they were say 6months use (did the seller ride them everyday off road?!).

You could self service but realistically you'd be looking at circa £60 if you sent them off.

soops
    Free Member

My magura laurins had the same problem and i needed the new damper cartridge things inside, so i had new bushes as well while they were being stripped down.
    Mine cost £216 posted back to me. £90 ish for a service, and £16 ish for bushes, the rest the damper things. I sent them on monday and had them back on friday. Give the guy's at magura a ring they are really helpful. 😀

poppa
    Free Member

If it is a wear and tear item I don't think I have any issue with the seller. They were described as six months old and good condition, which they otherwise are. I could imagine that it would be possible not to notice the play unless you were looking for it. Bit of a pain in the bum though. My old RS Tora forks, which the Menjas are replacing, were rock solid.

I have heard that these forks are simple to service, but I have no idea if it is within my capabilities…. yet.

hora
    Free Member

6month old forks shouldnt have worn bushes?!

forge197
    Free Member

hora you stole my line was thinking the very same, I was going to add the RS that I have knackered bushes on are over 2 years old and been used most weekends so they are due there time with TF.

hora
    Free Member

When Fox first brought out the 125R forks- I had a pair for over a year with one trip to the Alps. They had worn bushes but had had a fair amount of use (not abuse) upto that point.

poppa
    Free Member

Maybe they were like it from new?! Oh, and perhaps most importantly, is it safe to ride the forks if there is play? I am desperate to go for a ride on my new bike…

P.S I'm not being over-sensitive am I – I mean there definitely shouldn't be any play between the uppers and lowers should there?

forge197
    Free Member

There shouldn't be play of any note, not so much that makes you think that there is a loose headset, you may notice it under braking.

hora
    Free Member

How were they described? The seller would have felt the same play as you. Did you ask if the forks were nearing a service?

If I buy something thats described as not needing a service or recently had one and I find out otherwise I will cry foul.

poppa
    Free Member

Described as being in good condition, six months old. Being a bit naive I didn't ask about servicing or needing a service…

mieszko
    Free Member

My XC500 Bombers had something similar from new, but that was due to crap manufacturing tolerances (Marzocchi dealer said that there has to be some play to have the bushings lubed and allows the fork to move), somehow my Reba moves up and down, but has no play. Fair play that it didn't get any worse after almost two years. Bushings were ok as there was no wear on uppers.

If Your Menja has worn bushings than I would imagine it can cause wear to uppers and won't do the forks any favours. But if it's down to something else like the damping unit and they are no longer covered by warranty and You would be looking at £216 service bill (like Soops), than I would probably stick them on ebay, write in description that they would benefit from a service, get rid of them and get something else. Probably loose a bit of money but less than paying for a service. Of course if the seller won't be able to sort the thing out with You first. If the warranty is in his name he might be willing to send them out for repair if it's the damer cartridge unit.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

If the bushings are shot after six months use, its up to the seller to let you know- not for you to ask.

If they are the original owner, they should have the receipt and I'd expect them to get it sorted under warranty- if they've been abused then they should be more open about that.

poppa
    Free Member

I have let the seller know and asked if he still has the warranty documentaion.

hora
    Free Member

Described as being in good condition

Play in the bushes isnt good condition though. Especially if its obvious to you- it would have been obvious to the seller.

rockthreegozy +1

Its not a case of 'buyer beware' or private sale/tough you didnt ask- its STW, if someone wants to mislead a buyer then they should expect a flaming at the least.

Ask the seller for a £ contribution if he wont front the warranty claim. If its wear and tear (i,e not warrantable- then the seller should have admitted this).

Anyone can feel play in forks so he cant play niave.

I cant say anything about my recent experience of buying forks from here as the seller actually coughed up some extra money after I cried foul- what I would say is its principle-don't just put it down to experience.

poppa
    Free Member

Been in contact with the seller and he is going to forward the invoice – hopefully I will be able to get a service on warranty. The seller has been brilliant in my dealings with him, so I do not want to bad-mouth him. I think it is entirely possible that the seller was simply not aware of the problem(?) – you do have to look for it to find it.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I ha a set of the same menjas. There is a common thing with them where there is a very slight knocking feeling when they are at the first part of travel. A Magura technician described this as "possibly this is when the piston comes loose from the top out elastomer".

Here is a link to a discussion thread I found on the subject:

http://www.support-english.magura.com/index.php?s=90e961605c213c93f842dc6df95b3e5d&showtopic=1000

I sold mine recently which were the same age as yours and I had noticed this slight knocking.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Newly bought second-hand forks play/'clunk' – is this a problem?’ is closed to new replies.