Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Newcastleton ride today
  • rkearsey
    Free Member

First ride out today for a year on my new giant 29er hardtail. First time I’ve ridden this bike properly, and the first time I’ve used Spds. Weather wasn’t great, still alot of snow about, had a few off dues to forgetting to un-clip *facepalm* However I was surprised how fast my new 29er was on the last descent on the red trail. Getting mixed advise about sticking with the spds or going back to flats.

polarisandy
    Free Member

My pal had quite an off this morning at Newcastleton.
    He went one way, his bike the other and his back wheel into the forrest.
    Lucky lad.

rkearsey
    Free Member

Bloody hell, it was lethal with all the snow up there though!

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Spds all the way for me.

I was in ae on wed, up near Queensbury loads of snow and it was the best mtb ride I have had for a year.

I only came off once too, I keep my pedals pretty lose, just 2 click from fully lose.

polarisandy
    Free Member

duplicate

rkearsey
    Free Member

Gonna stick with them, see how I go! Can’t beleive how fast and glory my 29er felt, love it

jonba
    Free Member

We tried to get there from Kielder. Turned round as the snow kept getting deeper. There was still loads on top and didn’t look like anyone had been past Lonesome pine in a while as we were cutting fresh tracks.

Which ever pedal you pick you need to stick with it long enough to get used to it. I find the performance gains of spds to be marginal at best. I generally prefer to use flats as I like normal shoes (I can take several pairs if riding consecutive wet days). Normal shoes are also easier to walk in should you need to. I also prefer not being clipped in as I feel happier/confident pushing it on the downs.

Having said that I am at the faster end of the group I ride with so don’t need the marginal gains. When racing I’m always on spds. Ridden with both on and off for several years. Depends on what type of riding you are doing and with who.

rkearsey
    Free Member

Also a bit of advice needed, just got the standard grips from giant on my bike and they just about came off today, can anyone recommend some lock on ones?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Newcastleton ride today’ is closed to new replies.