Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Newbie to MTB's
  • princehuggy
    Free Member

I’m a newbie to MTB’s and all. As you can see, this is my first post 🙂

I’m looking for a 29er, don’t know why, I just like the look of the massive wheels.

Any ideas on what to get would be much appreciated. I do have a budget of £500 though. Here’s something I was looking at, to get me started.

VooDooAizan29er

It’s within my price range and from what I’ve read on here, as a 29er, looks like the handles bars a wide enough to help with the handling.

(Sorry can’t get the URL link to work)

Junkyard
    Free Member

fixed link

Dont ride a 29 er so I cannot help you out

jekkyl

lol @

I just like the look of the massive wheels.

it’s a good a reason as any.
    I think at that price point that halfords special is probably okay, the components are a bit towards the lower end of quality but they should still work. If you’d consider 2nd hand you’ll likely get much more for your money. Have a search for the Orange Clockwork which is a great bike and 2nd hand usually go for around the £500 mark. Good luck.

pink bike is a great site that people who are new to the sport may not know of.

for eg: http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1874320/

mildbore

What Jekkyl sez,second hand will get you better value, especially if you can get something with an air fork which you can tune to your weight. Forks on bikes less than about a grand new tend to be very basic and the limiting factor on entry level bikes. However buying secondhand can be a bit of a minefield if you don’t know what to look for/knowledge of potential pitfalls. Do you know anyone into the sport who could help with a secondhand purchase?

kayak23

As mentioned, the forks mainly but also other components tend to be not up to much on cheaper bikes, but you can always upgrade in the future when you can’t resist the shiny things feel you want to.

I have a fatbike made by voodoo and I’ve been impressed by the quality. It was under 500 too but had rigid forks.

Looks alright to me and you’ll have the backup of the shop if something goes wrong I suppose.

superstu
    Free Member

Voodoo bizango is £599 – Halfords often do 10% off deals plus British cycling members get 10% off so you could get this within budget. Better bike and a great buy at that price if you want a 29r

z1ppy

voodoo Bizango the default budget 29er suggestion, with lots of recommendations as per Superstu. The geo is the same from the old model, & lots of ‘bike to work’ sales on ebay if you do fancy cheaper 2nd hand option. Sign up for halfords news letter, to get warnings of there next day flash sale (& have the money or a CC handy).
    As a newbie, having the support of a good LBS is extremely useful though (when things go wrong), though you’ll not potentially get so much of as well spec’d bike for your money, if you do buy from there (not a dig at lbs’s, they have bills to pay).

Euro
    Free Member

Add an extra £99 to your budget and go for the Voodoo Bizango. It’s the same frame as the one you like but crucially, most of the parts are a step up from the Aizan. Much nicer forks (the most important bit of a hardtail bike) and generally a much nicer bike for not much more money.

Don’t do second hand unless you know someone who knows their onions.

edit: curse my slow typing so +1 the two guys above 😀

peepingtom
    Free Member

A second hand boardman pro ht 29er would be my choice . Great bike/great spec .
    Seen plenty go for around 500 on ebay .

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I wouldn’t worry either way . Get something now and in six months you’ll want a new bike anyhow 😉

princehuggy
    Free Member

Cheers all.

I don’t anyone that knows their stuff, so I’d rather not go second hand.

The VooDoo Bizango looks pretty cool.

May go with this one.

https://www.evanscycles.com/jamis-nemesis-sport-2016-mountain-bike-EV245146

jekkyl

That looks great for the money huggy, go for it.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Small wheels on that Jamis.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

No ones asked what you intend to ride it on, a ride around the block, trail centres, moorland, woodland, singletrack, etc etc

I’ve found my mates who have bought bikes without Deore (the minimum shimano gear set for real offroad) bikes have really struggled,
    acera, alivio and Altus although fine for roads and smooth offroad canal towpaths, but give them a few rocky stretches and the limitations are clear..

Spend a little bit more and you will enjoy biking more. As others have said if you can get a airshock and a Deore drivetrain then those gear changes and bumps will be no problem

Have a read of this http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/buyers-guide-to-mountain-bike-groupsets-42578/
    It may give you a little knowledge before buying the first bike you see

princehuggy
    Free Member

To be honest, mainly roads and when I get the chance some light trails in Epping Forest or Hainult areas.

Not to much to start with as I’m an overweight, unfit 41 year old 😳

z1ppy

TBH my opinion is that worrying about groupset for a newbie, is relatively pointless, it’s about getting out and starting riding. When stuff wears out you then worry about it, and I’d want a frame worth upgrading and the best fork I can get over groupset on the 1st bike.

princehuggy
    Free Member

What z1ppy said 🙂 That group-set thing pwoppa confused me

Also, I’ve changed my mind on the 29ers. No need to go so big if I’m not hitting the trails on a regular basis.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Second hand bikes can be a false economy for newbies, something will go worng straight away and you’ll waste time money and effort. either that or factor on a new drivetrain, brake bleed/pads/fork service and the time of someone knowledgeable to sort it

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’d buy the Bizango or the Hoodoo if you want smaller wheels. It’s all the bike you need for your requirements and more.

I was in exactly in your position two years ago and didn’t have a clue. The best reviews that I could find at the time for an entry level hardtail were for the 26″ previous incarnation of the Voodoo Hoodoo.

Two years on, it’s never let me down and there’s never been an instance where i’ve been able to outperform the capabilities of the bike.

Just get a bike and get out and ride! 😀

philjunior
    Free Member

I would disagree with many and suggest that a new bike (as long as it’s set up properly) might be a better idea as you’ll have less chance of knowing how to fix/when to fix a second hand one.

And yes things will wear out whatever bike you buy, if you get on well with this MTB thing you’ll eventually spend tonnes on it and it’ll be worth every penny.

ahwiles
    Free Member

princehuggy – Member

Not to much to start with as I’m an overweight, unfit 41 year old

give it 6 months, and you’ll look like Leonidas, but with bigger thigh muscles.

nedrapier

There’s no disadvantage having big wheels on the road. There are advantages – you can get 1.5″ slick road tyre instead and it will go on the same rim (road rim = 700c = 29er)

If there’s bike you like the look of better and it happens to be a 26er, great (you can get slick tyres for 26ers too), but don’t discount 29ers just because you’re riding more road.

princehuggy
    Free Member

Thanks for all the input people. I’ve gone for the Jamis Nemesis

https://www.evanscycles.com/jamis-nemesis-sport-2016-mountain-bike-EV245146

I’ll post when I go out for my first trails experience.

Wouldn’t I have to grow a beard to look like Leonidas though 😕

princehuggy
    Free Member

😡 I’ve just been told that they are out of the 21″ frames 😐

On the plus side, I’ve just asked my boss to sign up for the Cycle to work Scheme, so my budget has just gone up a notch.

mildbore

Great that your budget has gone up, if possible spend the extra on a bike with an air fork because you can adjust it to suit your weight simply by adding or subtracting air

princehuggy
    Free Member

All done! Got one of these on order Jamis Dakota

mildbore

That looks a pretty good choice, hope you enjoy it. Let us know how you get on

dpfr

You are doomed!

That’s pretty much how I started out a bit more than 2 years ago. My original MTB has been extensively rebuilt and upgraded, and been joined by a carbon-framed friend for nice days. A good weather road bike has been bought and recently sold, replaced by a total indulgence, and a winter roadie is being built up at the moment. All very well, and the bikes are nice, but the real problem is that the engine lacks ooomph. Oh, and I have committed myself to a 150 mile road ride in early July.

So, from one sensible bike to four not-at-all sensible ones, and from normal middle-aged apathy to questionable sanity, all at considerable financial cost in less than 2.5 years. What more could you want?

Loving it! 😀 😀 😀

princehuggy
    Free Member

It’s here!

Whoop, whoop!

Ready to ride home too 8)

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I just like the look of the massive wheels.

Don’t come in here with honest and well thought out opinions like that, you’ll scare the other residents.

princehuggy
    Free Member

Went out yesterday, rides lovely. Already had to fiddle with the front derailleur. Also looking for a decent chain guard.

Other than that. sweeeeeet!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Newbie to MTB's’ is closed to new replies.