Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • New Zealand Suggestions
  • keppoch

I am going to New Zealand next week. My holiday is four weeks long and starts with a two week mountain bike trip on the South Island. The trip starts at Nelson and works its way south to Queenstown.

Following that I have two weeks free at the end of which I need to be back in Auckland on the North Island.

My planning has been woeful so I am looking for must do suggestions. Non-cycling and perhaps cycling.

Also should I rely on public transport or do I need a car or camper to get around?

STW suggestions pretty much designed a great trip to Copenhagen so I am hoping for the same result 🙂

qwerty
    Free Member

Cycle touring is a great way to explore NZ, i did Picton to Queenstown west coast a long time ago. I was going from backpackers to backpackers, but to really get the most of it you should wild camp to take in the remote & beautiful countryside.

There is loads to do outdoorsy wise, Frans Josef glacier is worth a guided hike onto.

MTB wise you just can’t go wrong!

Fab place, enjoy

m0rk
    Free Member

Queenstown = Fergburgers

I did a month there five years back and have been twice since (last Xmas!)

There is riding around Auckland – but you’ll need a car. Apex are cheap but good

ratadog

Mrs R is kiwi and we have spent several months on South Island over the years because that is where her family is based. Queenstown to Auckland in a fortnight doesn’t give you oodles of time so your own transport may be best bet.

We have gone the camper route because by the time you hire a vehicle and pay for motels it works out about the same. Plenty of budget campers around if its just one or two of you, you can book from the UK and a lot of them will let you pick up and drop off at opposite ends. Top Ten camping sites were uniformally good, cover the whole country and do a discount card. You will need to get across from Picton to Wellington on the ferry and may need to book in advance.

Christchurch city centre is rebuilding but the earthquake museum is interesting/humbling and the restaurants/shopping were all up and running albeit the former were best found in the “suburbs” e.g. Merivale and Papanui ( other areas are available ).

Also at Christchurch, Willowbank wildlife reserve is the place to see the native wildlife including Kiwis and Keas. They also do a Maori cultural evening and meal. There is also a separate Orana wildlife park out near the airport that also has some MTB trails nearby although I think they are family orientated and I didn’t get to ride them.

Hanmer Springs has MTB trails and as its name suggests a hot sprigs with pools and slides

Kaikoura is restaurants especially crayfish, crafts and whale watching. Nearby is the Oahu stream walk off a layby on the main Christchurch-Blenheim road and is a seal creche – possibly the most astonishing thing I have ever seen. You should be at the early end of the season for that.

Blenheim is the centre of the Marlborough wine region and there are some excellent winerys with decent restaurants. StClairs restaurant was very good when we were there.

Picton is the ferry terminal but is in Queen Charlotte’s Sound with ferry trips round the sound.

Wellington has Te Papa, the national museum and lots of eating and shopping, Rotorua has the thermal activity as well as the MTB trails and Napier is Art Deco personified.

Auckland I don’t know well but there will be plenty to do.

Incidentally, Nelson has the Wearable Art Museum with a rather good motor museum and some excellent jewelers and craft shops.

I’d go campervan and spend at least 2 nights in Christchurch (Top ten in Papanui is fine) and do Willowbank/city centre, a night in Kaikoura for the whale watching, see the seals, couple of nights in Blenheim/Picton for the wine and then a day to travel to Wellington and a day for Te papa an then work my way north.

Hope that is helpful.

gibbonarms
    Free Member

Craigieburn 😀

Feel free to drop me a mail, I’ll send you the guide books I have.

corroded
    Free Member

So, you’ve got about two weeks to fill in NZ? What an enviable problem to have. It would help to know what you’re into. I like wine, hiking, kayaking, small cities at the end of the world, interesting trees and wildlife watching – so I’d probably craft some combination of pinot noir tasting in Central Otago, maybe a visit to Dunedin, perhaps one of the great hikes in the south island (if it’s not too late to book accommodation), and I’ve always wanted to explore the Catlins. Or do some sea kayaking in the Abel Tasman. Then I’d whiz up to Auckland on the plane.

But, if you preferred volcanoes, beaches, a bit more warmth, wine and Wellington, it wouldn’t be hard to finish your bike tour, and spend a week in the north island, fly into Wellington, and knock off a couple of sights on the way up to Auckland. Wish I could head out there for a month now!

binners

We did a month in NZ and deliberately arrived with no itinerary or plan at all. We picked a 4×4 up at the airport and just drove. Made it up as we went along, and just went from one place to wherever we fancied next.

It was the best holiday I’ve ever had in my life

justatheory
    Free Member

Rotorua, Coromondel, Abel Tasman, Milford Sound, Franz Josef glacier, Lake Pukaki, Queenstown, Wanaka.

I’m moving to Auckland in April 😀

m0rk
    Free Member

I’m moving to Auckland in April

Jealous!

I had a great offer for there two years ago and turned it down – I’m just about over the sleepless nights regretting it!

keppoch

Thanks for these brilliant suggestions and keep them coming 🙂

As for what I like I would say hiking, kayaking and small cities at the end of the world are all interest I would say. I like being outdoors, getting away from it all but also meeting people and working out what makes a place tick.

No interest in wine tbh but quite like a beer somewhere interesting!

dalesjoe
    Free Member

I hired a DH bike in Queenstown and had a great day using the cable car & ridding down. Start on the blue and work up to black runs. One of the best days biking I’ve had.

stevious

Lots of folk try and fit in too many areas when they go to NZ and spend the whole time driving around not seeing much.

My advice would be to not worry too much about seeing loads of different areas and rather spend more time in one place.

For sea kayaking, Abel Tasman & Queen Charlottes sound are both awesome. Milford/Doubtful sound are much more wild but have a bit less supporting infrastructure for kayakers (such as remote pick ups, etc). If you like Queenstown but find it a bit busy then Wanaka is its more relaxed older sibling.

You will have an excellent time.

corroded
    Free Member

Some great kayaking in the north island too. One of my most cherished memories is kayaking in the Bay of Islands and seeing a family of orca swim by, the youngster with a ray in its mouth. Totally agree with staying in one place and just absorbing NZ. You might even get used to the accent (‘we’d like to call all the pussengers with priority chick-in’).

lunge

Milford or Doutful Sound, the latter is better imo but the former is easier to do.
    Do a bungy, the Nevis if you’re brave enough.
    Wanaka is a cool town, but dint stay for long, Dunedin same applies.
    Further north, Taupo is awesome, do a skydive whilst you’re there.
    And do the Tongariro crossing too, it’s wonderful.
    Auckland is cool just to wander around, it’s a cracking city.

mick_r

Another vote for:-

Doubtful Sound over Milford if we had to choose just one. Also be aware that tourist bus trips from Queenstown to Milford look convenient but feature a LOT of driving.

Abel Tasman general area (sea kayak & mtb). We also did sea kayak in Coromandel but Abel Tasman was nicer (if we go back that is the first area we’ll revisit to really explore properly).

Hot springs somewhere (Hamner in south).

RRD
    Free Member

I spent 4 (ish) months in New Zealand a few years ago and was in the fortunate position to set my work itinerary By my preferred biking destinations.

I would suggest you purchase the Kennett Brothers MTB guide book. It really does cover every MTB location worth riding.

Not sure if you are allowed to in high season but I really enjoyed the Queen Charlotte Track(?) over two days near Picton. Think West Highland Way but with hot tubs and swimming in the ocean – your overnight bag is transported by a water taxi.

Bridge to Nowhere – does what it says on the tin but you finish with a jet boat ride!

Lots of awesome rides and an amazing country

keppoch

This is really starting to sound good 🙂

We ride the Queen Charlotte Track on day 2 of the trip I am doing. Sounds like they know their riding!

NZCol

I lived there for 15 years

Qct isn’t a great ride beyond the view, wakamarina or nydia bay much more like proper biking. That whole top of s island is a great spot, Abel tas and kaiteri, ride down rameka and say hi to Jonathan (Kennett of bike book fame – from Col he will know), even over into takaka, collingwood is lovely. Heaps of riding in Nelson as well and nice walking plus beer and cafes. Heading s kaikoura is whale watch central, worth doing actually, inland to n Canterbury is nice. I could go on, I would get a car and take a tent or do cabins in holiday parks.

keppoch

Thanks for those too NZCol. 15 years, wow. Weighing it up between coaches and car for my second two weeks and think it actually makes sense to do a combination.

gibbonarms – thanks for the generous offer, have emailed you.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Lots of big rides to do, heading back over in April for 2 weeks based out of Roto for some chilled out riding.
    Did a great day out with Ed and Dirk from
    http://www.planetbike.co.nz/
    One point to point and another half day skills tour in the redwoods. Heaps of riding and chill out to be had and would make a good place to break up some travel for a few days.

stewartc
    Free Member

Just came back from a trip in December, only running around the North island but all good fun.
    Cant really add more than already mentioned above but from my trip..

Maybe Ferry up to Wellington and then get a hire car from there and go to Rotorua, the town itself felt a little ‘Blackpool’ to me but its a cycling mecca, worth at least 3 days or more exploring all the trails nearby.
    Then I would recommend driving up to the bay of plenty and spending some time around there, followed by the the Corrinades then onto Auckland.
    Found Auckland a little dull, maybe no need for more than a couple of days, try to get a ferry ride out the the surrounding islands.

Pigface
    Free Member

Treat Kea’s with respect 😆

The angriest birds on the planet 😆 you would be angry as well if you were an Alpine Parrot.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘New Zealand Suggestions’ is closed to new replies.