Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • New York break
  • white101

The mrs wants to go to New York next October with her pal for there 40th birthdays. They have to go in the half term week cos matey works at a college.

Has anybody been on these tour guides things where somebody show you round all the right places to visit and eat and you don't get stuck on the wrong sida town? I'm a bit concerned cos my mrs aint great with directions and matey is…well never mind. I feel I'm getting too much involved in the planning and its like its me thats going, I'd rather let them get on with want they want to see and do when they get there. Just thought one of these organised trips around the city would be a help to them?

mudshark
    Free Member

I've spent quite a bit of time in NYC and don't think you need to be worried about suddenly finding yourself in a bad spot. A good guide book will get them to the best places; they'll probably stay around mid-town, towards the bottom end and Upper East and West Side. The subway is fine – I sometimes used a fun pass which is a one day pass. I did manage to get lost in Central Park though….

GJP
    Free Member

Your wife and matey are unlikely to end up on the wrong side of town – unless they fall asleep on the subway and end up in the Bronx or Upper Harlem! Conjures up images of the first chapter of Bonfire of the Vanities

I lived in Manhattan for a number of years. It is a a lot safer than London IMO and probably most UK cities, I and would happily walk around the streets all day and all night.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with an organized guide. It is an easy city to navigate and all the obvious tourist places are very easy to find and get to/from etc. Just get a decent guidebook.

In terms of places to eat, then New York has literally 1000's of good neighborhood restaurants in all the major residential parts of the city, which is pretty much everywhere in NYC.

Remember New Yorkers (or rather Manhattan folk) eat out several nights a week. Any place that is bustling with locals is always a good place to start.

The only places I would not look to eat at are around Times Square / Broadway. I expect there are some very decent places (pre Theatre Broadway dinners etc), but this is definitely where perhaps most of the tourist hotels are concentrated.

scuttler

Subway/tube can be a bit tricky at times, definitely more so than london where (in divvy no idea terms) it's just a colour and a choice of two directions. Brill though – I'd recommend reading up and getting a hit list of must sees/dines/dos etc.as there's soooo much on offer.

white101

Thanks guys, I'm starting the planning now so that (fingers crossed) they'll just have to turn up and walk around a bit… a lot

manitou
    Free Member

stayed and eaten on the Upper West side (70 to 80th street) every March for the last five years (I go to see The Allman Brothers Band play at the Beacon Theatre) Nice part of the city and close to the main touristy bits.

the_sea_is_silent
    Free Member

We went earlier this year and did this walking food tour.

http://www.foodsofny.com/greenwichvillage.php

I'm not much of a foodie but learned loads about Greenwich Village while stuffing my face 😀

We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Hotel. Great central and handy for the underground. It's address is 63 West 35th Street, New York.

clubber
    Free Member

While we're on this thread… can anyone recommend a hotel in NY for a four night tourist trip – something trendy (Mrs Clubber says "boutique"). Nothing ridiculously priced but don't mind spending a decent amount for somewhere nice.

MrBlond
    Free Member

Clubber, Hotel on Rivington used to be good if you want to be Lower East Side / SoHo / villagey on your stay.

Been a few years since I last stayed there though.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘New York break’ is closed to new replies.