Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • New years honours…
  • Kryton57

Dame Babs
    Idris Elba OBE
    Chris Froome OBE
    Tony McCoy OBE
    James Nesbitt OBE
    Dr (Sir) Michael Jacobs
    Simon Weston CBE
    Jacquiline Gold CBE (services to …? 8O)
    Michael Pusey MBE
    Sir Lynton Crosby 😯

Nothing too controversial apart from the obvious?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

WGAF

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I was wondering where the raised eyebrows at Mr Crosby and Lin Homer’s accolades was.

jon1973
    Free Member

Lots of people getting honours for doing their (well paid) jobs

hora
    Free Member

“An OBE is a Queen’s honour given to an individual for a major local role in any activity such as business, charity or the public sector”

Why would a TV Actor get this?

Then you get someone like the late Jeremy Beadle who reportedly raised c£100m for charity and he only had a MBE.

beej

Chrissie Wellington OBE – she does a lot for Parkrun now.

gordimhor

Same old pish

jon1973
    Free Member

Sandwich

WGAF

We all should as unless you are in the Westminster bubble ‘they’ are increasingly seeing ‘us’ as under-informed mensch who do not need to be catered to. See Theresa Mays advisor recent comments about celebrity protest.

stewartc
    Free Member

Then you get someone like the late Jeremy Beadle who reportedly raised c£100m for charity and he only had a MBE

One one hand his MBE seems like a small award, but on the other…IGMC

Cougar

Heard on the radio in the car just now, someone’s been honoured for raising awareness of facial disfigurement. Cut to an interview with him, “well, it’s great to be recognised…” I nearly crashed.

Cougar

Then you get someone like the late Jeremy Beadle who reportedly raised c£100m for charity and he only had a MBE

Somebody give him a big hand…

hora
    Free Member

Yes the jokes but hey if someone peddles out the same line about being the next Bond repeatedly you are in vogue?

Cynical me.

konabunny
    Free Member

Who are you criticising there?

binners

They could at least be honest, and say that Lyntons award is for services to the Tory Party. Idrises should be ‘token black person’ award as voted for by Oliver Letwin

Klunk
    Free Member

They could at least be honest

Barbara Windsor services to crime ?

binners

Services to chirpy cockerney stereotypes?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Big boobs longevity award?

every year its the same

Over use of the awards to reward political lackeys, arselickers major donors and a punch of famous folk who did the job they are very well paid for doing to a quite good standard.

Perhaps one day they actually meant something and they actually honoured community servants who did good [ generally unpaid] for their community/wider society

When we see the list is just more of the same old same old. As it will be next year.
    Crosby getting such an honour for what he did really demeans the awards – not a party political point as labour would have rewarded some party lackey had it been them deciding. They need to be removed from the actual PM /politicians as no committee of citizens would have given him that reward.

grum
    Free Member

It’s probably a useful guide to future targets for Operation Yewtree, if historical precedent is anything to go by.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Got a couple of ex army mates at work who are not happy at all with Simon Weston CBE. In fact I’ve got and had a lot of ex army mates and they never seem to have much good to say about him.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Big boobs longevity award?

She doesn’t even have big boobs.

Poor actor who kept some very dubious company.

It’s all a load of pish.

Klunk
    Free Member

Poor actor who kept some very dubious company.

apparently they were “lovely” lads. 🙄

konabunny
    Free Member

Got a couple of ex army mates at work who are not happy at all with Simon Weston CBE. In fact I’ve got and had a lot of ex army mates and they never seem to have much good to say about him.

Spit it out – what’s their problem with him?

Kryton57

Perhaps one day they actually meant something and they actually honoured community servants who did good [ generally unpaid] for their community/wider society

Perhaps the only one but Michael Pusey MBE

I like the way Sky feel they have to subtitle his sarf Londin accent…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Thought the young lad who raised £250k odd for cancer was proper deserving, well done him.

The rest? Can’t say I’m surprised at the schlebs luv in, but read further into it and like the lad I mentioned, there are more than a few who really deserve an honour, Y’er honour.

mooman
    Free Member

It`s a farce. Total waste of time, money and publicity.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Peckham BMX bike park creator got a medal 🙂

Most people in public service are paid materially less than they could make in the private sector so moaning about “well paid jobs” is misplaced.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Most people in public service are paid materially less than they could make in the private sector

Not this again!

It’s not really true either and varies to what your job is and when you started working there.

project
    Free Member

No idea or any intrest in any of those has beens or havent beens yet , except Chris Froome, champion cyclist.

Total waste of effort and time for the queen to hand out bits of paper to them.

somouk
    Free Member

Some top community ones in there and a few for people I’ve met over the years.

Some questionable celeb/government ones but ultimately someone wrote them up and the palace accepted it.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Most people in public service are paid materially less than they could make in the private sector so moaning about “well paid jobs” is misplaced.

Its possible to be able to get better paid work in the private sector and still be well paid in the public sector. They are not mutually exclusive

Not this again!

You have confused a jambyfact and an actual fact the former are immune to the actual evidence so best leave it there.

rOcKeTdOg

Chris Froome gets a gong for staring at his stem?

nickc

But then there’s the perhaps apocryphal story where Sir Alan Sugar gets promoted to Lordship, and insists that everyone he meets uses his honourific, and of course some toff meets him, calls him Alan, at which point He manages to blurt, I’m a lord y’know, please address me accordingly” to which the toff responds, “sorry, of course, if we’re doing that, you can address me as “your Grace”

If nothing else the honours list provides a idea of who’s a proper arse licker.

Edukator
    Free Member

I’m not named. There again I’ve never married a ganster (or slept with another), ridden a bike improbably fast uphill, ridden horses for dodgy people, parked on double-yellow lines, been given large sums of money for kicking a ball around a field or lied through my teeth about almost everything. What a bunch.

iainc

Surprised after all the media stuff about him being ‘Britain’s best ever sportsperson’ that Andy Murray didn’t feature, especially when compared with Wiggo and Hoy, who he has now supposedly surpassed.

scotroutes

That wouldn’t have anything at all to do with his support for Scottish independence though.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Surprised after all the media stuff about him being ‘Britain’s best ever sportsperson’ that Andy Murray didn’t feature,

That wouldn’t have anything at all to do with his support for Scottish independence though.

I bet you it has nothing to do with that.

mrsfry
    Free Member

barbara windsor!!! FFS

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘New years honours…’ is closed to new replies.