Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • New Year riding resolutions – looking back and forward
  • chakaping
    Free Member

Take a moment to see if you made any resolutions this time last year and update us on how it went…
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/new-year-riding-resolutions

I ticked half of mine off early but then really got back into MTB and didn’t bother traveling anywhere with my road bike.

Work and family responsibilities limited me on away days, so the main resolution for 2016 is to ride elsewhere from Rivi more often – Hebden, Peaks, North Wales, whatever…

I’ve lost a bit of fitness in recent months so I’ll also pledge to get some proper base miles in this year to shed some lbs. Also want to continue the upwards trend in overall climbing.

What are your aims then?

ricky1
    Free Member

I’m no longer going to rely on or wait for people to turn up or decide if they are coming for a ride or not,I’m just going to be riding on my own mostly this year.

TiRed

1) Avoid silver Mercedes ML’s at all costs 😥
    2) Ride 12000 km
    3) Qualify as a BC Level 2 MTB coach
    4) Gain a Second Cat race license 😆

cloudnine
    Free Member

Ride more and eat healthier.

MoreCashThanDash

Ride more and eat healthier.

This

Not the most SMART objectives I’ve ever set, to be fair…

thomthumb
    Free Member

last year i said

go out tomorrow

and failed but i will go out tomorrow, next year.

had a great year actually passed 2014 in mileage some time in september, but then pretty much stopped. maybe try and keep it up next year.

shindiggy
    Free Member

Ride more, learn to manual, take my bike to the alps.

Kuco

Ride the road bike more and looking forward to going back out to Ciclo montana.

duncancallum

Simply ride more.

I’d like more big rides in the lakes n in Scotland but just ride more.

Oh I’d like to mtfu n improve my descending

duntstick
    Free Member

I’ve just started this strava thing with the road bike, just the free app to see what miles I clock up, it’s so easy on the phone.

Will be interesting (to me) to see what happens through the year.
    Already starting to feel the benefit, so it bodes well

garage-dweller

More riding. Get fit. Lose weight. Again not really “smart” objectives.

If I could do an average 200/month I would be ecstatic, doesn’t sound like much to some I’m sure but with young kids, some projects at home and a commute that’s just not that palatable on the bike it’ll be a decent challenge for me.

A charity ride of some sort to test my endurance.

Get my eldest to feel as confident descending as he is fast at climbing.

Maybe get a mini rocker and get down to the skate park with it. Someone kindly offered me a go on their son’s last weekend and it just seemed outrageous and immature and utterly brilliant all at once.

On looking back I had no aspirations for this year (work exams took over a lot of my life) except to get a new bike into the stable, which I managed in September and not stop riding.

This year I quite fancy swapping bits off the road bike frame onto a cx/gravel bike rim brake friendly frame and fork to make an audax/cx/utility/going places bike. That I can swap road wheels and a pair of tougher rims into into.

piemonster

A few coast to coasts and general love no distance pootling would see me happy.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ride less, windsurf and sail more.

Other than that I’ve got a Milan San Remo sportive to do, Liege Baston Liege and Tour de Lombardia booked, the Gravel Reviver thingy in Keilder Forest and the NCN 72 (Hadrian Wall from coast to coast) Manchester-London with Rapha and a host of other rides too.

Another busy year.

Shred
    Free Member

I’ve got the Maratona and Salzkammergut A course in July, so train like crazy for those.

I need to train better in 2016, I did too many long steady rides this year, so ended up with good endurance, but didn’t have the speed I needed. So train better, more mountain biking, loose weight.

asdfhjkl
    Free Member

Started on road recently so my goal is to start riding longer distances (more than 40 miles) more often.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I half heartedly set myself a target of 500000ft of climbing for 2015. I just managed to scrape past it. I suppose I’ll have to do better in 2016.

rOcKeTdOg

I’d like to ride less trail centres & more of other people’s local trails & show people around mine in a trail swap kind of thing

Sort of worked, hardly any visits to trail centres & showed a few people around but need to visit other places more this year

orangeboy
    Free Member

I failed my 2015 target of 500 miles a month so guess try harder for 2016
    But I’m more interested in seeing new places and trying new rides

alansd1980

The last year has been low on quantity but high on quality. Did a sub 20 hour ride to Paris and also rode on my first real mountain (etna)

This year I will be getting fitness back (a new baby and a toddler meant no time for training) with the aim of doing a couple of events. In spring a sub 10 hour sdw is the first main goal. Will be looking for some events summer and autumn to aim for as well.

vondally
    Free Member

Morning alas my will be the same as most years, the battle with ongoing injuries and then getting back out to ride, so just getting out and enjoying riding not hooked up in strava miles or fitness miles but just riding for riding sake that is mine, whilst taking more photos.

hora
    Free Member

Mine is to stop stressing so much. Get a decent job with a decent and professional employer and continue to volunteer and do good deeds.

Bregante

hora – Member
    Mine is to stop stressing so much. Get a decent job with a decent and professional employer and continue to volunteer and do good deeds.

New Year riding resolutions

Morning. Care to add reading the topic title to that list? 😛

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

Probably ridden more this (last) year than any before so hopefully continue that pattern. Really wanna explore more next (this) year, get up a few more mountains. Got megavalanche with a weeks riding in alpdhuez & L2A to look forward to too!!

hora
    Free Member

Oops. Morning Bregante.

I rode once in the lakes last year.

This year I will ride at least 10 there. Plus at least double my MNPR rides (I rode Rammy once).

Also ride two Sportives and finally build up my SS ratbike (have all thebits)

scotroutes

Get my Veloviewer Explorer number up to at least 10×10 (that’ll be a mix of riding, walking and maybe skiing).

Get back into road riding again and use that to get my Eddington Number up to 70.

Restart my bivvy-a-month, linking that to exploring some lesser-visited parts of the country. That might kick off my blogging again.

Mostly just find ways of riding in places other than the Cairngorms all the time!

rOcKeTdOg – Member
    need to visit other places more this year

RD – and others – anyone coming to the Aviemore area is welcome to contact me for an exploratory ride. It’ll be mellow, not gnar though 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Good to see I wasn’t foolish enough to post last year…

Ride bikes is the plan

Harry_the_Spider

Ride more miles that 2015 (which was a personal best)
    Put on a showing of the History of British Mountainbiking Movie
    Get better at BMX

…and maybe do a 24 hour race after 12 years off.

hora
    Free Member

Im going to use tbis thread to inspire me: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/2015-a-year-in-mountains

curiousyellow
    Free Member

– Go to Wales for a ride in the spring.
    – Ride with some friends in Somerset.
    – Start a riding program and complete it before Ciclo Montana in May!
    – Go to Chicksands for a ride.

rOcKeTdOg

RD – and others – anyone coming to the Aviemore area is welcome to contact me for an exploratory ride. It’ll be mellow, not gnar though

Sounds perfect

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m happy to show you (or others) round Rivington RD – medium levels of gnarlosity.

bigblackshed

Looking back to last years resolutions: Ride more.

My back has taken longer to heal and be ride ready than expected, so I missed the summer, September was OK, just no fitness to enjoy it. Did get out on the crosser and explore the river pathways a bit.

Ride more than I did in 2015. It won’t be hard.

cakefacesmallblock

Looking back, rode plenty, but a bit less than last year. Mostly because of a year seemingly filled with weddings , special birthdays and things, as well as some injury. currently nursing several broken ribs.
    I have this ‘ don’t start a ride if it’s already raining ‘ , rule too , so,the back end of 2015 didn’t go well.
    Next year, keep at it, try not to make a total hash of the Ard Rock Enduro, Want to ride in the Alps too.
    Remember to turn off my Garmin after a ride, especially if there’s an hour or so to drive home.

mildbore

To deteriorate at a slower rate. Being 61, my energy/fitness levels are dropping at about the speed of a slow puncture. Enthusiasm remains irritatingly tiggerish though so it doesn’t bother me that much

metalheart
    Free Member

I’d like to get out consistently, get some reasonable level of fitness back (which necessitates losing some of this girth again 🙄 ). I *helped* my mate get a new bike so he’s keen to get out, I’ve a mate who works in Saudi who drags me out when he’s back and I promised a climber mate to take them out round Glen Tanar and the likes. So no excuse.

There are routes I’ve not done in, well, decades. Like the Mounth/Glen Doll/Loch Muick and the ’round the OS yellow Cairngorms map’ all nighter route from yesteryear. And I keep looking at all those Torridon photos people on here keep on posting. Bastards!

Got a CX bike with the intention of riding to work along the railway line (even got some lights too).

I’d also quite like to try some bike tyres and/or fat bike. Oh and 1×11.

badnewz
    Free Member

Survive.
    Ride more.
    Get cash coming in.

fathomer

As much riding as possible, in as many new places as possible but mainly just keep enjoying it as much as I already do.

Last years was very clichéd, but made a pretty good fist of it last year and plan on keeping it going this year.

I’d love to get to the Alps or Pyrenees but have no one to go with so it’s not likely to happen.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

This time last year i had broken my ankle and was sat with the hump in my living room.
    Since then i have recovered got my strength back, continued to commute to the station on the bike, completed the Ride London 100, been for a few laps around the QEOP Velodrome and learned to back flip my DJ bike into a foam pit, not a bad year considering i was off the bike for 3-4 months.

This coming year i’m going to do less of the long distance road stuff and more of trail riding and get my backflips to dirt!

always said i’d get flips to dirt before i was 40, 4 years to go!

themightymowgli
    Free Member

Well I still can’t pull a Wheelie for more than a few yards so maybe I should just keep trying.

This year i am going to try to avoid injury. 2015 sucked for broken and/or battered bones, balls and back.

_tom_
    Free Member

I wanted to get over 2000 miles on my road bike which I failed miserably at again. Would have done it if I hadn’t bothered going to the gym over summer.

So this year I just want to ride more and get over than 2000, 3000 would be nice. Problem is I don’t really enjoy long roadie rides so 30 miles is about the limit so gotta cram as many in as possible!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘New Year riding resolutions – looking back and forward’ is closed to new replies.