Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • New Year New Bike….
  • stylish
    Free Member

After a long process of subtle hints and a demo, I decided after all I do need a new bike for 2013, the last 4 years have seen me start with a Cube LTD Race, progress to a Giant Anthem, build an On One Whippet, crash lots, and smile even more. Having the best part of 3 months off the bike this year for medical stuff, this thought kept eating away at me, I fancy having a 29er next….
    Now a few mates have them and love them, but I wasn’t sure, until that is I tried one on demo, and I loved it, maybe it was the nice shiny new aspect, I’m not sure but it was enough for me to take the plunge and get one on order, so as long as shipment dates are correct, 2013 will see the arrival of a Cannondale F29 carbon 2.

Just hope it’s not delayed at all…

andypaul99
    Free Member

I havent ridden the ‘dale. But i am/ was in a similar position to you a couple of months back.
    I went for a Giant XTC composite 0 and have fallen in love with it hook line and sinker.

– Its quick, but doesnt feel quick. This was a problem on my first rides where i had a couple of ‘offs’ on familiar corners. I was approaching them at higher speeds than previously.

– what i thought were casual loops turned out to be PB’s with no fuss!

– For XC i would go with narrower bars maybe 580mm, ive got 660mm at the mo and it can feel a bit of a tank when i gets tight.

– ive read again and again that you can swap your short travel FS 26er for a 29er hardtail. Not true. a 29er hardtail is still a hardtail. I wouldnt sell my 26 Epic in favour of this. It simply hasnt replaced the Epic.

– 29ers are really distance machines. I feel i could ride all day on my 29. There are some XC courses that i still feel a 26 would be quicker on.

– Again ive read you can get away with less grippy tyres on a 29er, because they have better traction. I found there was no difference in this to my FS 26. So ive gone with the same tyre combo Nics F+R with better results.

Overall i really like the bike, and so glad i took the 29 plunge. I have no doubts that on a majority of UK trails 29 is the way forward.

stylish
    Free Member

Well the minsitry of fun and finance, insists i sell bikes to fund this purchase! so the Whippet has found a new home, and the anthem is with me until the flash arrives, but by then a few hours of overtime and a busy christmas will change her mind…

The bars on the dale are 700mm wide, i can see the hacksaw being the first thing they see, and it was really the Lefty that sold it to me, it gave so much more front end feel than anything ive ever tried.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘New Year New Bike….’ is closed to new replies.