Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • "New year, new beginnings & all that guff…." [mag content]
  • simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Chipps talks about the need to keep riding in the winter so as not to lose fitness for when the good times come around again.

I reject this concept. I don't bike to get fit, and any marginal fitness I have is entirely collateral to the riding, which I do for its own sake, because I love it. I feel bad, and at a loss when I don't ride.

He also says about new bike bits "if they make your bike more appealing to ride, then they're worth every penny"

say WHAT ? If you're five perhaps. I certainly don't give a fig what my bike looks like, and I never look at it when I'd riding (or any other time for that matter). All I ask from it is that it works – it cannot do any better than that.

He mentions people who don't have an off season as if it were something out of the ordinary…

sc-xc

He also says about new bike bits "if they make your bike more appealing to ride, then they're worth every penny"

Notice that 'if'?

allthepies
    Free Member

Yes, but you are an oddball 🙂

tails
    Free Member

Whoopydoo so your happy to ride an ugly bike others aren't. Do you apply the same theory to women?

cynic-al
    Free Member

My philosophy:

Each to their own, except those dullards that need to bleat about it 😀

brakes
    Free Member

do you feel oppressed?
    I revel in this concept
    I get fatter over Christmas because I don't ride, I ride better when I'm fitter and I like new bike bits

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Do you apply the same theory to women?

some of us don't apply the same rules to machines and people…

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

so your happy to ride an ugly bike

I don't know if it's ugly, it's too dirty to tell 🙂

BigJohn

I'm with you, Simon. It was the realisation that the editorial staff of the mag were so divorced from the reality of real cyclists that caused me to cancel my sub (which I had had since issue 2) a few months ago.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

It was the realisation that the editorial staff of the mag were so divorced from the reality of real cyclists

hmm, that's a bit harsh. One might even speculate that the opinions expressed reflect those of the majority of riders reading the mag or using the forum ?

knott4me
    Free Member

its his opinion & one he is entitled too the same as you are but with a little more class one would of thought.

chipps has something that is lacking in most posts like this …..a little class.good on him & sound advice.

i can,t claim to know him but have had the pleasure of his company on a few night rides around our way & can,t think for one minute he would of put as much thought into it as you have…

on a positive note the forum wold not be the same without your opinion 7 most importantly riding photos.

wors

riding, which I do for its own sake

i thought you rode so you can take millions of pictures

jonb
    Free Member

If I stay fit over winter I can ride longer in summer so doing more of the biking I love.

Being fit makes biking more enjoyable. Just riding up the hills rather than struggling up them makes everything better.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

i thought you rode so you can take millions of pictures

no I just take pictures whenever I see something I like

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

& can,t think for one minute he would of put as much thought into it

Oi! That's not kind to Chipps! I was talking about his editorial which one might presume he doesn't knock off in 5 minutes in between oggling bike bling and being important…

clubber
    Free Member

You can't reject the concept as a whole sfb, only for you. I know people who are exactly who the piece was aimed at. Not the norm but not unusual either.

lowey

To my horror, I agree with you mate. I dont really care about "getting fit". I just love riding my bike and the fact that I get fit doing it is a bonus. Given my life as it is at the moment, without riding I'd be licking the windows within a couple of weeks.

Still got the tracer simon ?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Still got the tracer simon ?

in name only, it lies dismantled in the cellar, stripped of usable components and unloved, apart from a factory-fresh Rohloff…

speaker2animals

But maybe he didn't mean building fitness for it's own sake but for ridings sake. I suspect that the majority of riders do less or even none in bad weather. I think riders who do the same amount all year round are either; 1. not doing all that much riding even in the "best" weather, 2. slightly below the national norm.

I'm sure that we all agree that riding is more pleasurable when we are at our fitest. Ride for ridings sake but don't dismiss the benefits to both your overall health and riding pleasure.

Stu_N

For me, fitness is it's own reward. Sometimes on the grim days the fear of loss of fitness is an additional carrot to get me out on the bike and that's a good thing as I (almost!) always enjoy it when I am actually riding rather than thinking up excuses not to ride.

At the end of the day, being fitter = riding harder for longer = more enjoyable days on the bike = happier me. What's not to like?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I suspect that the majority of riders do less or even none in bad weather.

most of the riders I meet ride all year, but then that's because *I* ride all year so I meet them 🙂

I think riders who do the same amount all year round are either; 1. not doing all that much riding even in the "best" weather, 2. slightly below the national norm.

oh really ? So the 'real' riders cram all their riding into the summer and spend the rest of the time hibernating ??

I'm sure that we all agree that riding is more pleasurable when we are at our fitest

I dunno, I enjoy riding even when less fit 🙂

Ride for ridings sake but don't dismiss the benefits to both your overall health and riding pleasure.

a curious statement. I don't ride for the sake of riding, but because it's fun, and of course I enjoy what fitness I have, but it's no motivation in itself…

cynic-al
    Free Member

"something"

what's your response SFB?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

what's your response SFB?

you'll have to be more specific…

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘"New year, new beginnings & all that guff…." [mag content]’ is closed to new replies.