Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • New XT Brake Pad Fitting Problem
  • bigmandh
    Free Member

I’m not sure if I’ve got the right pads for my M785 XT’s. When fitting the new ones there isn’t enough space to fit the rotor back in. I have reset the pistons and when I compare the new pads to the old ones, the metal on the back of the new ones is twice as thick. Anyone know if these are the right pads or not? From looking around it looks like all the shimano pads are cross compatible. Thanks

wwaswas

you got your money’s worth out of those old pads!

(can’t help with the actual problem except to say have you pushed the pistons in so they’re flush with the caliper?)

iainc

I had the same issue with some non Shimano XT785 pads. Ended up binning them and buying Shimano ones. They were one of the cheaper version – Uber Superstar type.

bigyinn
    Free Member

The old pad backing looks wafer thin compared to the yellow replacements.
    All the ones I’ve bought have been similar to the originals.
    Generally its the pad shape that determines compatibility. So I’d say yours are the right ones.
    You could maybe take a file to the back of the yellow pad to take off any excess paint.

tillydog
    Free Member

Are you trying to fit the finned ‘heatsinks’ in, as well as the yellow pad? I *suspect* you need the pads with a thinner backing to fit both, but that the yellow ones should fit without the heatsinks.

legend
    Free Member

As above, is the old one for Superstar fins by any chance?

bigmandh
    Free Member

Ah that seems to be the problem. Yeah I’ve got the heatsinks in, didn’t realise they were optional. Will have a hunt around and get the correct ones. Looks like I’ll need to get a bit more of my money’s worth out the old ones for a few days! Thanks for the help.

legend
    Free Member

Just out the heat sinks to the side until you’ve worn out the new pads. Roughly 0.0002% chance of you noticing a difference

Kahurangi

Heatsinks in the UK, at this time of year are almost certainly completely pointless. And they rattle.

Just use the new pads without the heatsinks til next summer.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I can’t see the pics from here but I understand the descriptions above.
    Just remove the finned bits and fit your new pads without them. Unless you’re doing thousands of metres of descent and your nostrils are filled with the pungent aroma of burning breakpads… then you don’t NEED the cooling fins. 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘New XT Brake Pad Fitting Problem’ is closed to new replies.