Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • New XT Brake Bleed
  • fathomer

Sorry if this has been covered already but I couldn’t find it. I managed to lose some oil when shortening my hoses so need to do a bleed.

I know I need the yellow funnel thing but guessing I’ll also need something like this to push the oil through? Am I right? Shimano Bleed Kit

Cheers

rwc03
    Free Member

Yep, and you need a 7mm socket spanner to loosen the bleed nipple.

rwc03
    Free Member

7mm is for the m785s, m775s are a different size

edit: maybe they’re the same size but you needed a 6mm for the levers on the 775s, and you just need an allen key on the 785s

I’m not confusing this am I??

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Yep, you need a syringe and a spanner for the bleed nipple

alexpalacefan

May have to do a set of M785s soon.

I’ve got syringes, but they may have been used with DOT fluid in the past. How much scrubbing do I need to do to get rid of any residue? Would it help to use a solvent?

APF

cp

I’d get new syringes….

alexpalacefan

OK, had a look at ’em and still sorta greasy with DOT.

So, where to get nice big syringe to bleed M785 brakes?

And does anybody know of a guide to this one-way bleeding thing?

Do you need this plastic funnel thing too?

Thanks in advance,

APF

paul4stones

So, where to get nice big syringe to bleed M785 brakes?

See if you can find a friendly doctor/dentist/nurse/etc

fathomer

Thanks for the help, I’ve ordered a funnel and an epic bleed kit from the bay of theives. Fingers crossed there here by the weekend!

honourablegeorge

Anyone had any grief with these brakes leaking from in and around where the hose joins the lever?

fathomer

honourablegeorge – Member
    Anyone had any grief with these brakes leaking from in and around where the hose joins the lever?

I did to begin with, which is where I lost the oil from, but I pretty sure I hadn’t thighened them up enough, another half a turn and it seems ok now.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I’ve pushed a lot of fluid through my SLX brakes following shortening the hoses. I used the funnel and when I’ve finished, the bleed hole on the brake lever is brimming with fluid.

However, it still seems like the lever travels a lot before biting. Could I reduce this by pushing the pistons out with nothing between them, and then topping up with fluid? Or would that make them rub?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘New XT Brake Bleed’ is closed to new replies.