Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • New wireless router – what's good?
  • petrieboy

So a third netgear wireless router seems to be on its last legs after about 2 years (needs reseting every day or so as the wifi drops connections and refuses to accept new ones)
    Anything out there worth special attention or are they all much of a muchness?
    Setup has a cable modem facing the Internet, and a 48 port switch handling the rest of the network so router only needs to handle wifi and security.
    What you got??

Dunno, but don’t get a Cisco one – mine is bobbins.

thejesmonddingo

I’ve had Belkin,Netgear and a load of other routers,all of which went t*ts up within a year.I’ve now got a Billion router this one http://www.cclonline.com/product/44681/BiPAC-7300N/ADSL-Routers/Billion-Bipac-7300n-w/less-N-Adsl2-bband-Router/NET1512/ ,absolutely rock solid,easy to set up,and the better versions let you assign bandwidth to your users (useful with 4 people in our house on the net,and son who plays xbox360 online)
    Ian

overthehill
    Free Member

I’ve got an unused BT Home Hub 2.0 on the classifieds…

footflaps

My Apple Airport Extreme has been very well behaved for many years, much better than their Airport Expresses, which all seem to die after a couple of years.

dh
    Free Member

We use drayteks at work and they are rock solid

M6TTF
    Free Member

My second netgear router has partially died after 5mths – all the ports seem to have died, seems through getting too hot. Still working wirelessly so will do that for the time being… Crap product

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Pealy – how do you find it? Thats the exact one I was going to recommend to my parents.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Bit of a thread hijack… but which is the strongest router people can recommend…

Had a BT voyager – lasted a few years… but never reached on corner of our house
    Now got a Thomson one which is pants
    Neither have easily changeable antennae
    Had problems getting extenders working properly…

grrrrr…

does 3 aerials on that Billion one means it has a greater range?

skinnysteel
    Free Member

+1 for Airport Extreme. Didn’t realise these things broke.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Bit of a thread hijack… but which is the strongest router people can recommend…

I did hear the Buffalo ones with the ‘rabbit ear’ type aerials were fairly strong, but sounds like you need a repeater – basically a plugin thing that sits at the range of the signal and boosts it up again.

Failing that consider the Homeplug stuff that feeds the signal through the mains. You can also get a Homepplug thingy that has a wireless aerial on, so basically get it to the far flung corners of your estate, then turn it back into wireless if you feel the need to.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I put a linksys by cisco heavy duty one in at my parents

Cost 70 quid

Cured all the issues that they netgear crap was causing , dropped connections all the time and really slow connections reset and it would be back to slow in 15 minutes !

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

had an expensive Belkin last year (£60), had good range, but constantly dropped connection with everything needing rebooting. Changed ISP, the orange OEM router I have now never loses connection, which is great, but doesn’t reach the top floor of my house. Never realised it was such a bloody minefield with these things.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘New wireless router – what's good?’ is closed to new replies.