Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • New Wheelset
  • luigi_t8
    Free Member

I want a set of hope wheels, im going to put either EN 521 or EX500 on them.

Has anyone used Dave Hinde recently (since website has been redone) ? i know over the last few years they’ve had a bad mail order reputation but i was wondering if they had got any better.

would i get better wheels if i picked them up from the shop?

thanks, LT

erny
    Free Member

I would use Merlin

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I would use Merlin

5 Years on and my Merlin built Hope wheels are still as smooth as a baby’s bum. Trued the rear one once in all them years of abuse.

luigi_t8
    Free Member

i know, i wanted merlin too but they’ve recently put the price up to £300 for the wheels i want whereas they’re £260 on Dave Hinde.

As a cheaper alternative should i go for superstar “switch evo hubs/ EN 521” or “XT hubs/ EN 521”?

Northwind

I might consider pissing on Dave Hinde if he was on fire. Just not enough to put the fire out.

dasnut
    Free Member

merlins a good bike shop. the other guys a ****

Highland28
    Free Member

Have you asked Merlin about price matching, many online shops will do that. Its worth a go anyway, from what I have heard Dave Hinde aren’t great worth their wheel building but haven’t had any experience.

chrisb57
    Free Member

Hi I have used big bear bikes for a set of Pro 2 evo with crest rims , they are based in Pickering near Dalby Forest . They price matched a store in York I got them for £270 hope this helps , they will post too

Stevo210
    Free Member

Im looking at giving Just Riding Along (JRA) a go this week, Ive heard some good stuff….anyone else used them?

Heard good things about Merlin too.

footflaps

You can’t seriously be considering David Hinde? I wouldn’t buy bike parts from him if he was the last bike shop on earth.

amt27
    Free Member

don’t Hope Hoops come with EN521s?

luigi_t8
    Free Member

okay i’ll have a look at the price match thing.

amt27 – yes they do but i wanted gold hubs and hope hoops tend to cost more anyway.

going towards the superstar wheels as they will be just as dtrong as hope being that i’ll run the same rims and theyre cheaper; as they only have to last me a few years and not forever i think they should do. anyone had any experience with them?

loum
    Free Member

Stevo,
    I had a wheel from JRA about a year ago. Good quality and top service.
    I’d use them again.
    Loum

Stevo210
    Free Member

Hi loum, thanks for your experience thats reassuring.
    Sorry to hijack the thread, for whats it worth though Luigi you should give Jon a ring, he’s been more than helpful in advising me on what type of rim and build would be appropriate. http://www.justridingalong.com

Ive been told more than once, you can have all the right components but if you done have a knowledgeable builder, you’re wasting your time.

luigi_t8
    Free Member

just heard back from life-cycles that they will price match for me. does anyone have any experience with their wheels, whats the build quality like?

cannondaleking
    Free Member

which life cycles as i used to work at one of them?

luigi_t8
    Free Member
    luigi_t8
    Free Member

chrisb57 – I have contacted big bear bikes and they also said they will price match for me. What were the quality of build of wheels like?

Does anyone else have any experience with wheels from Big Bear Bikes or Life-cycles.co.uk?

cannondaleking
    Free Member

Not the life cycles i worked at if you buy the bits cheap and get them forwarded to me i can do the build for you mate wont be costly can build them to suit your ride style my email and website are in my profile

luigi_t8
    Free Member

Is it worth paying more for DT comp spokes?

I can get the wheel build from merlin with ACI spokes for £282.51, The same build from Big Bear Cycles with DT comp spokes is £285.

If they were equal build quality I’d go for the latter however i think merlin’s build quality would probably be better?

and advice or experience would be good

luigi_t8
    Free Member

need quick help as want to get these ordered soon

LT

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Life Cycles in Bolton built my wheels about 15 months ago (Mavic XM819 rims on Hope Hubs). Back wheel needed some adjustment after about a year, front is fine.

Seem like decently built wheels to me, and arrived when they said they would. I think I have DT spokes, which seem fine (none broken), but I have no experience on any others on a decent wheel.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘New Wheelset’ is closed to new replies.