Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • New wheels, what tyres? GP 4000s or Tubeless Pro One's?
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Just pressed the button on some shiney new prime 50mm carbon clinchers, which leaves me with the question of what tyres to fit?

The obvious choice is a set of GP 4000s which I currently have on the existing wheelset. But the new ones are tubeless compatable, so I’m tempted to go for the Pro Ones

Cost around the same once you factor in buying tubes, and weight isn’t much different all in

I’m keen to try the tubeless option, but then again they look to have a fairly short shelf life and these wont be used for racing only.

Swaying towards the gps with tubes as I’ve never had an issue with them, but feel free to tell me I’m making a big mistake.

If I do go wit the latter, do I need 25mm. Currently run 23mm, but these appear out of fashion

Vortexracing

Tubeless all the way for me, I run 23’s BTW

sockpuppet

I’m sure you know since you run them already but GP4000 come up big! The 25s are as big as GP4season are in 28.

As I found out to my cost when I bought some 28s (since GP4season fit…) to find out they look like Clown wheels! Still, they fit the winter bike, and are jolly lovely tyres…

MaryHinge
    Free Member

GP4000 fan here.

However, last minute wheel swap for Ironman Wales at the weekend due to high winds. My shallow wheels have a Schwalbe One on the front and it was absolutely spot on. Tubed though.

I would say either will be fine. I would probably go for the tuneless Ones, just to give it a go seeing as you have the opportunity.

tpbiker
    Free Member

hmmm…yeah i noticed that the gp4000s were fairly fat in 23 version. The wheels say the recomend 25mm and above, but it did occur to me that 25mm gps would look a bit clown like

the pro ones look grt, but i can’t get past the reports of needing replaced before they’ve done 1000 miles

richardthird

Pro Ones. A mate runs these and got 4000km+ out of a pair.

23 = 25mm actual, 25 = 28mm and 28 = 32mm.

Mantel have 25s in stock at 32.99 each. Just ordered same for my 55 carbons.

crosshair
    Free Member

I think they look good with 25’s on.

The ‘road tubeless’ thread is enough to put anyone off 😀

akira

Been looking at the Prime wheels, what do you think of them? They seem almost to good to be true for the price and weight.

Oblongbob

I get a lot longer than 1000 miles out of my pro ones and I’m 14.5 stone and fairly powerful. My rear probably has about 1000 miles on it and doesn’t look overly worn or squared off. I really rate them for puncture resistance (with sealant) and they seem to be fast and grippy.

tpbiker
    Free Member

thats what I thought but for 600 quid I couldn’t resist..

I love a set of deep rimmed carbon wheels..they just make the bike look so much faster

stevious

Have used both. The pro ones feel nicer to use and if you’re lucky not too much faff. Have survived some punctures that would have been 15 mins of swearing with cold hands but ended up being 30s with a pump.

Conti’s seem slightly better in the wet to me.

The pro ones come up bigger than the contis in my experience – agree with richardthird’s analysis up there^^^

crosshair
    Free Member

I got mine for £400 with an Ultegra cassette and the tyres so they don’t have a lot to live up to. Only done two rides on them but they seem good.
    Rubbish braking with their pads but these are my first carbon wheels so nothing to compare them with.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of 60mm carbon wheels and although they’re tubeless ready I decided to stick with what I know and like, which is GP4000’s. In this case they’re 23mm because they’re normally on a TT bike, but it I was running them on a road bike most of the time it’d be 25mm’s.

Braking in the dry is better than I expected – not tried in the wet yet.

lunge

Vittoria G+ Corsa. Fast and skinwalls. Lovely.

wilburt
    Free Member

Bontrager R3 cos its what I have (and like) with tubes.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Right, I’ve decided to give the pro ones tubeless a try

next question – are they really that big? Internal width of the primes are 16.5, and it recomennds a 25mm tyre, But does the 25 really size up as a 28? That sounds a bit big to me.

The bike they are going on is a canyon Ultimate, so not much room in there. Thinking a 23 may be better.

richardthird

Just checked my 25s. 27mm on Giant SL1 clinchers and 28mm on Hunt disc wheels

tpbiker
    Free Member

what is the internal width of those?

ctk
    Free Member

I think the Hunts are 19mm. Get the 25c, you’ll love em!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

do I need 25mm. Currently run 23mm, but these appear out of fashion

The wheel width is 25mm, I didn’t read all the blerb, but I would have thought you would need 25mm minimum ?

They seem almost to good to be true for the price and weight.

Really? £650 for 1550g !! You can get £300 and 1440g (not in carbon flavour though)

ransos
    Free Member

I’ve just binned a pair of Pro Ones, which at 1500 miles had completely squared off and a bulge was starting to develop on the rear. I don’t think the mileage is too bad for a race tyre, they’re light, supple and seem to roll well. On the other hand, they have dreadful wet grip and don’t seem to be very robust – they cut up easily and I had to replace one because of a sidewall slash. My 25s are about the same size as Michelin Pro4 28c, so they do come up big.

I’ve just bought a pair of Hutchinson Sector 28s to replace them – not much heavier and I’m hoping for better wet grip and durability.

akira

Really? £650 for 1550g !! You can get £300 and 1440g (not in carbon flavour though)

Tell me more, problem is most alu rims top out at 32mm. If you want something deeper it’s carbon or heavier.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Tell me more, problem is most alu rims top out at 32mm. If you want something deeper it’s carbon or heavier.

Indeed alu at 32mm for £300. However everything I have read says you have to avg over ~ 22mph to get any aero effect from deeper rims.

essexbiker
    Free Member

I run GP4000s in 28c with latex tubes and they are ace

akira

Indeed alu at 32mm for £300. However everything I have read says you have to avg over ~ 22mph to get any aero effect from deeper rims.

yeah but they make a cool noise. Running 38mm alu rims currently but bit heavy, either downsize or carbon but downsize look bit silly on aero bike. Also I could be awsum and fast……I’m not but I could be.

tpbiker
    Free Member

if you want lighter then their sub 1400 carbon wheels come it at 700 quid

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘New wheels, what tyres? GP 4000s or Tubeless Pro One's?’ is closed to new replies.