Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • New wheels needed as spokes keep breaking!
  • scottyjohn
    Free Member

Hi all,
    I have had the same wheels for about three years and have used with no issues. I am very heavy but have trail centred and small jumped dropped with no issues. However recently when Im out for a longer ride just doing lite XC with no major rough stuff, I come back with one or two broken spokes. Im thinking this is just due to the age of the wheel?
    Anyway can anyone recommend a pair of strong wheels, I think 36 hole may be better, and at the chaper end of things. As I say Im heavy, so as long as they dont weigh the same as a truck tyre, lightweight is not that important within reason.

Cheers

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Surely it's just cheapy no-name spokes fatiguing. Just get a respoke with DT or Sapim spokes.. As long as there's no flat spots or bends in the rim and the hubs are still smooth.

cynic-al
    Free Member

If this has happened more than once then re-spoke.

MarkDatz
    Free Member

Hav u tryed loosning the spokes if u hav dick breaks spokes titen up if u use breaks but if u hav rim breaks u need new spokes bcoz breaking dosnt make spokes tite so they must be too week from fatige

DickBarton

Please tell me that last post was done via a mobile phone and it wasn't checked…otherwise…please read your postings before posting…makes very little sense…

MarkDatz
    Free Member

I hav ifone it's totaly wikid awsum lik a frend but it's allways ur frend not lik peepel althogh batary isn't good

BigJohn

Where've you been DB? Mr Datz has been providing us with entertainment for a couple of weeks now. (Keep it up please).

In answer to the OP, I'm currently on 28 spoke Bontrager Race Disc wheels and they can handle my 98kg riding round the peak and the lakes on a hardtail.

crazy-legs

Sounds like age of the wheel combined with your weight/clumsiness has taken it's toll.

New rims (maybe something like a Mavic XM719 (or XM 819 if you're running tubeless), new good quality double butted spokes and a good wheelbuilder. I'm sure if you say roughly where you are, people will give you recommendations for local shops who have a good wheelbuilding service.

coatesy
    Free Member

Your hub of choice built onto a Mavic XM321 rim with DT comp or plain gauge spokes, strong, not overly heavy, but plenty of cheapness.Built loads for the local wheelbenders and lardboys with no problems reported.

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

hope hoops?!?

scottyjohn
    Free Member

Im not "clumsy" at all, been riding for about 9 years and not had problems before. I do think its the age of the wheel, as the front wheel got replaced about a year ago due to theft, and its been fine. Not really bothered about getting custom built wheels as its a fair bit more expensive I would have thought, and factory wheels are tensioned by a machine I would imagine, so would be better.
    Rebuilding the current rim isnt an option, as the hub is cheapo, and by the time you buy new spokes and get them built, it would be better and cheaper to get a complete wheelset. Will look at the wheels mentioned, thanks for the advice all.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘New wheels needed as spokes keep breaking!’ is closed to new replies.