Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • New wheels in 27.5" flavour. Opinions on these please…
  • welshfarmer

Looking for a new set of wheels to loose some pounds on y bike for summer. Need to be light and strong, hence I realise they aint going to be cheap. 3 choices have made my short-list, all available at about £550.

However, there seems to be a trade off to be had between weight and width and I am not sure which way to jump

I can have a set of MAVIC sl which come in at just under 1500 gms but are only 21mm wide
    Then there are the Syntace M30s which are a nice 25mm int width but weigh in at over 1700 gms
    In the middle are the DT Swiss Spline 1s at 22.5 mm wide and 1580 gms

I have the Mavics on my 29er and really rate them, just would have been nice to go a bit wider on the trail bike. Anyone got any opinions on any of these wheels or care to throw another idea into the mix. Ideally sub 1600 gms, wider than 21 internal, and reliable. And roughly in my price point or cheaper.

Cheers WF

fathomer

Not sure on weight but you could get something like DT ex471 rims on either DT350 or Hope Pro4 hubs from moonglu for less than £500.

Edit: or if you can wait and up your budget the DT Swiss ex1501 are 25mm internal and about £620 on bike-discount.

welshfarmer

No problem waiting and TBF the prices for the other wheels were mostly from German sites as I have money in an account over there I would like to spend 🙂
    There is some talk of switching to negative interest on bank accounts in Germany 😯

julzm
    Free Member

My OH has a set of those ex1501. He says they are really fantastic wheels.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

The xm1501’s are a bit lighter than ex. Depends if you want to save a bit of weight vs more Enduro.

welshfarmer

The ex1501 are the same as I have called Spline 1 in my post. They are a fair bit cheaper at Bike24, but it does say they are 27mm ext and 22.5 int. So not sure what is correct

Edit: Just realised I was looking at the XM (trail) wheel and I guess you were refering to the EX Enduro ones.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

XM for all mountain and EX for Enduro. My understanding is that the xm1501’s, in typical DT style, take a hammering without fault, so unless you really need the internal width and extra robustness, save the weight and go XM.

welshfarmer

Thanks for clarification Paul Been doing some reading. Would quite like a wider rim as I have limited height clearance but plenty of width. With a wider rim I think I can run a bigger tyre and due to it being stretched out it will not be as tall. Can also get away with a light tyre at lower pressures. At least that is my understanding.

benpinnick

Alas, the wider the rim the taller the tyre gets, not the other way in my experience, well at least thats what I have been seeing, until the sidewalls get effectively vertical (which would be a big rim). I’ve never given it much thought until I started measuring plus tyres recently, that the smaller rim diameter creates more curve in the tyre, which makes it shorter – it becomes more of a ‘u’ than an ‘o’ as the rim width increases. and given the same amount of rubber from bead to bead, that means it stands taller.

BearBack
    Free Member

Xm1501 are indeed light and strong and give a very reliable tubeless bead on a 2.4 trail king.
    Come standard with 36t star ratchet which is lovely.
    Im trying to decide if i should use the xm1501 again this season or jump to ex1501 to go with my new fanny pack 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘New wheels in 27.5" flavour. Opinions on these please…’ is closed to new replies.