Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • New wheels – for a larger then your average bear (17stone) for XC and rail paths
  • harrysno1dad
    Free Member

Hi

I’m looking for some ideas for a reasonable wheel set for me. My back wheel is bust (put my foot through it). Here is my shopping list

26″

Currently I weigh in at about 17st. So needs to be strong

Will be ridden on light wooded trails and old railway paths with the kids in tow.

Budget max £150

Thanks for any ideas its appreciated.

takisawa2

Unless your talking uber light, 24 / 28 spoke race wheels, or your nailing World Cup downhill courses, 17st won’t worry a well built set of wheels.

ton

get in touch with Spa cycles Harrogate. speak to the wheel builder. he will knock you some capable wheels for that budget.

ampthill

Any well built 32 spoke wheel

TiRed

Any well built 32 spoke wheel

This. You are well down on tandem loads, and 26″ wheels are stronger than 700C.

joebristol

I picked up some retro wheels for £80 about 6 months back. Mavic D521’s on Sachs hubs. They’re not outrageously heavy and should be plenty strong enough as they used to be Mavic’s downhill rim. I looked at new wheels and the 2nd hand route just seemed a better option for me (I use the bike for commuting and playing on dry pump tracks).

welshfarmer

I am selling a pair of 36 spoke wheels which are as strong as it gets. Mavic EX721 on Hope Pro2 hubs. Good condition with little use. PM me if they would be any good. Will cost less than buying a single new Hope rear hub on its own.

harrysno1dad
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘New wheels – for a larger then your average bear (17stone) for XC and rail paths’ is closed to new replies.