Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • New wheel time…dt xm1501 or similar
  • russyh
    Free Member

So, after a few disaster stricken attempts to sell my current bike. I have decided to keep hold of the old girl, but lighten her up a bit. Been looking at new wheel sets and like the look of DT xm 1501’s they seem very light but strong. But does anyone have any real world experience of them? Also any reliable uk suppliers that sell the wheelset, I can only really find single wheel options…guess my google skills are poor. Alternatively are there any other recommendations around or under £600. I am pretty hard on wheels. 650b old fashion 142×12 rear hub spacing. Riding is mainly trail and bike park with the odd enduro now starting to become more of a regular thing. Current wheels are Easton arc 27 on hope hubs.

Thanks for the help in advance

jimw
    Free Member

I have a set of 29 er XM 1501 and they are all that you are looking for, light, strong, stiff enough and easy to set up tubless.

Can’t help with UK suppliers-I bought mine from bike24 in Germany when they were selling them cheap- just before Brexit.

sillyoldman

While not cheap, they’re great bang for buck and outperform budget carbon offerings in every way, while also having some of the best hubs available. I’ve got some of the heavier/tougher EX1501s – love them!
    They’re listed singly due to the various axle standards which can be combined – 15×110, 15×100 and predictive steering front options, and 148×12 or 142×12 rear. 100×15 and 142×12 can be switched to QR too with supplied gubbins.

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

I’m in a similar quandary,I’m looking for something to replace my light and zippy but unreliable e13 TRS+ wheelset .For me I think it’s between Hope Pro 4/Stans Arch MK3 custom built combo(£450 ish) or all out and XM 1501 25mm(£150-£200 more)

frankconway

Google search for Bike Discount, then dt xm1501 in search box and…..voila!!!
    They’re an online company in Germany with a good reputation; I’ve used them a few times without any problem. Their pricing includes VAT but shipping is extra – can’t see that being much for a wheelset.
    Good luck.

drovercycles
    Free Member

We sell ’em! Have been really impressed with the DT wheels – been a dealer for just under a year, several pairs sold and also on demo bikes.

They’re not up on our e-commerce site yet but happy to do mail order. Not sure why they’d be difficult to find via a UK retailer so you’ve got me thinking now, sounds like there’s an opportunity there, may stick them up on the website tomorrow!

Please feel free to give us a shout if we can assist in any way.

Great wheels, bang up to date, and excellent after-sales.

frankconway

@drovercycles: clicking on your website address as shown in profile takes me to Singletrack – you might want to check that.

drovercycles
    Free Member

clicking on your website address as shown in profile takes me to Singletrack – you might want to check that.

Thanks. On the case now. You will of course find us on Google. E-commerce site is http://www.drover.cc (I don’t feel too guilty typing that on here and hope no-one objects too much.) We are a Singletrack Premier Dealer.

drovercycles
    Free Member

Hmmm I think it’s a bug with the site not anything we’ve entered wrong. Will try to find out if someone can help fix it.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Great wheelset, I have a pair after smashing numerous carbon wheels, these have been raced on for a year both enduro & DH.

I haven’t touched them. They feel better than carbon wheels, are actually lighter, and considerably stronger.

My soon to be 29″ will be a set too.

stevied
    Free Member

Have a look on action sports in Germany. You can spec the wheels exactly how you want eg: DT240 on XM481 with DT comp spokes is about €570. It’ll give you the weight too as you build..

sillyoldman

The complete wheels are slightly lighter than building from similar parts, the hubs have faster pick up, the hubs have spare end caps, and the rims are pre-taped and come with valve stems, as well as both Shimano and XD drivers, so there’s a lot of added value with the complete wheels. The wheels are prettier too 😉 . I’ve got both EX1501s and the equivalent EX471s on DT 240s with Comp spokes – the completes seem to ride better. More direct, faster pick up and they seem to roll better, but perhaps just because they’re newer? Dunno.

Just go buy some from Drovercycles – seem like a nice bunch (don’t know them BTW…).

zinger
    Free Member

Just bought the xm 1501 wheelset from http://www.freeborn.co.uk got 30mm internal Rim for front and 25mm into Rim for rear
    Not used them yet but they look great
    Only took them a day to get the wheels in from the time I ordered them
    Looked at German websites but with the pound slide the saving buying abroad want enough considering the hassle you would have if any thing goes wrong with a wheel

Give them a ring and ask for Joe

paulneenan76
    Free Member

In the usual style of recommending what you have; the XM1501 Spline One is a great wheelset. I specd these on my new bike and they are fab.

hatter

A guy I know replaced his 27 mm internal carbon wheels this summer with 30 mm wide XM 1501’s. Expecting to trade a bit of weight for comfort and some more width.

What he did didn’t expect was that when he actually got them off the bike and weighed both sets the XM’s were actually 60 grams lighter than the carbon wheels he’d taken off.

impressive

sprocker
    Free Member

To offer something different the new mavic deemax look good and may fit the bill. I have crossmax XL and really rate them.

russyh
    Free Member

Cheers for the help guys, looks like I have found the wheels for me. Will order over the next few days I suspect.

I wouldn’t touch a pair of crossmax or in fact any of the factory built magic wheels anymore I’m afraid. The Crossmax Enduro was a very expensive mistake for me. Frankly it is not fit for purpose in my opinion. So regardless of how good anything new is crime them…I’m out I’m afaaid

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘New wheel time…dt xm1501 or similar’ is closed to new replies.