Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • New wheel advice please
  • Milky
    Free Member

I’m in the market for a new rear wheel but know very little about components so I need the help of some of you lovely people!
    I destroyed a rear hub bearing and did some damage to the race in the hub. I have been told that I may as well buy a new wheel rather than replace just the hub. Not sure if that is sound advice?
    If I get a new wheel I want to have cassette bearing in the new hub. I want a light wheel that is strong enough for some rock based abuse! I’m also thinking of changing drivetrains in the spring and going to 10 speed. Does this have an effect on my choices?
    I ride a 2010 Stumpy Elite.
    Thanks in advance for your help.

nicko74

Honestly, if you don’t know a huge amount about components, it probably is easier just to buy the wheel – anything else would involve dismantling the wheel and rebuilding it with a new hub, or paying someone to do that.

The two default choices for many people would probably be Shimano XT hub on some rim (Mavic 719, or 819 perhaps), or Hope Pro 2 on similar rims. It depends to some extent how much you want to spend, but Merlin and chainreactioncycles often have good deals on prebuilt wheels.
    And the switch to 10 speed won’t make any difference to your needs – it’s been designed to fit on existing wheels.

Edit: doh, meant to say you should hang on to the knackered wheel – you might be able to sell it for spares on here (or elsewhere), particularly if the rim and spokes are undamaged.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘New wheel advice please’ is closed to new replies.