• This topic has 121 replies, 47 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by cokie.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 122 total)
  • New warm supermini's – are there any?
  • slimjim78
    Free Member

The Panda 100hp is long dead.
    The Renaultsport Twingo 133 in no more.
    The Citigo Monte Carlo has pretty much the lowest power output in its class at 59bhp.
    The Up! GT has never come to fruition, nor shows any signs of doing so.

I’d really like a cheap to own supermini that isn’t out of its depth on the motorway nor wheezes like an asthmatic pensioner when trying to accelerate.
    The best of the bunch currently appears to be the Citroen C1 with a 1.2 engine capable of 82bhp. Alas, the swish rag top roof on this model doesn’t appear to be available in 3 door guise ( 3 doors being another requirement).
    The Suzuki Swift Sport appeals, but higher road tax, lower fuel economy and pricier 17″ tyres is putting me off (plus the super narrow Japanese bum width seats).

So currently top of the ‘sporty’ list is the Up! with 75bhp.. or the C1.

Surely there’s something out there with a little more zest?

Or do I go for nearly new and try and pick up something like a Polo R-Line? Nice looks, nippy yet economical engine.

Budget circa 12k. Less is better. Ideally I’m looking for low monthly hire purchase and consumable costs, with a decent warranty.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Define “supermini”…
    Are you talking “city car” or up to Ford Fiesta size?

slimjim78
    Free Member

well, I always assumed Fiesta’s/Polo’s to be a size above supermini – but the more reviews you read the more you see them lumped into the same category.

I certainly wouldn’t rule out a larger model, but they of course come at a premium. I don’t really want to go to Astra/Golf/Megame hatch size as my main consideration is low running costs – discs/pads/tyres/tax etc.

I also enjoy driving small go-kart type cars, and have option to go B-Roads for virtually all of my 30+ mile commute. I need to do occasional 500 mile round trips so motorway capability is important also.

Panda 100hp would’ve been ideal I think, but don’t really want to chance my arm on ownership of a 5+ year old Fiat.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

A used Mini?

somouk
    Free Member

Fiat 500 springs to mind. They do some nippy versions but not sure since they facelifted.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Yeah Mini is a reasonable shout. It’s hard to know when to give up on purchasing new/nearly new – and delve into the mine field of used.

Mini’s have big old tyres, and i’m not sure about economy or running costs. Always appealed in style though.

I think I tried to get into drivers side of a 500 once – and failed (im a big lump). I do however fit into its cousin – the new Panda.

Car’s ive tried and fit comfortably into:

Up!
    Citigo

Cars I don’t fit comfortably in:

Aygo
    Fabia (only 5 door model available, door aperture just not big enough)

john_drummer
    Free Member

I always thought that Fiesta/Polo/Clio was the standard for “supermini” and that the smaller “city car” came in afterwards.

Anyway, I know nothing, I drive an SUV

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t really want to go to Astra/Golf/Megame hatch size as my main consideration is low running costs

Have you actually worked out if a supermini is significantly cheaper than the next size up e.g. Fiesta?

If you can even find a sporty supermini of course. Tyres are partly priced on size, and partly on volume – so the common small car sizes are still pretty cheap. However going for sporty models will increase costs far more than upsizing.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

We’ve just got one, albeit a 2004 Cooper but it was only £2300 with 80k miles on it. Its absolutely immaculate and stupidly well built compared to anything else we looked at for that price. Only had it a month but already very smitten with the little thing – the styling etc is just an added bonus on top of what seems to be a very well built and great driving little thing.

scotroutes

Yaris? 1.3L/99bhp/3-dr/15″ wheels

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’d go for the Swift Sport, it’s worth the slightly higher costs.

markrtw
    Free Member

Fiesta Zetec S with the 140bhp 1 litre ecoboost engine. Might just squeeze in within cost going through drive the deal. Warm, economical and fantastic to drive.

surfer
    Free Member

I have a Mito 1.3JTD. Hardly “warm” but holds its own both on the twisty stuff and the motorway. Feels like a bigger car and is quite quiet and capable at 70+. Pulls really well for a small Diesel and returns 60mpg+ (onboard trip)
    I have done about 20k in mine over the last 8 months and gave up my Merc C class sport 7 speed auto to mrs Surfer given my longer commute, and I am quite happy to drive it each day.

beefheart
    Free Member

Clio RS200.

legend
    Free Member

beefheart – Member

Clio RS200.

Given the lean towards running costs, I don’t think he’ll appreciate fuel economy in the low 20s

chestrockwell

Agree with the above, supermini = fiesta, polo, clio etc, city car = up, aygo, 500 etc.

The fiesta is widely regarded as the best to drive so go for any of the 1.0t’s. Great engine. The swift also has a good rep as a drivers car.

midlifecrashes

MX-5 😆

slimjim78
    Free Member

MX5 crossed my mind whilst on a dealership browse at lunch time 🙂

I must take a Feista for a spin. The glowing reviews come thick and fast and drivability is important to me. It’s just that its looks do nothing for me, so to chuck 12k+ at one just seems a bit.. hard.

Mito’s look nice, JTD’s are usually strong. May take a peek

shifter
    Free Member

Fiesta, Clio, Corsa, Polo etc are all superminis.
    Missus has a 140 Ibiza, it goes well.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Polo GTI – uses the 1.8 engine and canes the rest into submission 😉

stilltortoise
    Free Member

+1 for the Swift Sport. I’ve always wanted one and always assumed they were as close to a go kart as a “normal” car can get (excluding the Elise, natch). The only reason I’ve not got one is that they’re just too small to fit a bike in the back (actual owners may disagree, but having owned the bigger Suzuki SX4, I can’t believe the Swift fits a bike in the boot).

That said I test drove a Focus with the 1.0 Ecoboost engine the other day and was very impressed. The Fiesta Ecoboost could be just the ticket and it definitely worth a test drive.

shifter
    Free Member

There’s one on every car thread but, used to bet two bikes in the back of an AX GT…

molgrips
    Free Member

Bikes were smaller in those days though.

jamesfts
    Free Member

Mito’s look nice, JTD’s are usually strong. May take a peek

You’d be better off looking at the whatever the Fiat equivalent is (500?) the smaller Alfas/Fiats are all the same cars underneath but with a price hike for the Alfa badge.

Polo GTI

Would they be the twin charged ones that seem to eat engines at a surprisingly high frequency?

Got to be the 500 Abarth surely?

slimjim78
    Free Member

aero roof bars + thule racks..
    They’ve made boot size irrelevant to me for the last 5 years.

AX GT – ragged a gas flowed one of those years ago. Great fun. To my mind only the Swift Sport seems to fit the same kind of mould these days.

Stop me before I buy an Up Club!

Polo GTi way out of budget, as is Abarth 500 (if I could fit inside).

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Swift Sport is last of a dying breed. Get one whilst you can. In a couple of years they will either disappear or will be fitted with a turbo.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Fiat 500 Arbarth. They are nuts fast little things.

Polo Gti is decent and the ‘drivers choice’ might be the Suzuki swift sport…. Less power by a long way but nicely set up for bends.

The Monte Carlo is basically just a styling option now for Skoda and after the disaster that is/was the 1.4 twin charger tfsi engine (fabia vrs, older polo gti) it seems Skoda have chosen to drop a vrs on smaller cars, shame.
    Look at the fiat and the Suzuki.

neilnevill
    Free Member

You mention the up! And citigo I assume the seat mii has the same asmatic 3 cylinder lump?

Look for an older arbarth.

jamj1974

My wife has not long had a Seat Ibiza 1.2 TSI. Seems economical, drives nicely if not with the most ‘feel’. 105PS I believe.

legend
    Free Member

Buy 10 Clio 172s.

hammyuk
    Free Member

1.8 engine is not and never has been twin charge – that was the 1.4 that is now perfect. Only the early ones had an oilway issue – all sorted either under warranty or at service.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member
    core

DS3?

munrobiker
    Free Member

I have a twin charger Skoda Fabia VRS with the later CTHE engine and they’re fine cars. Maybe a bit bigger than what you’re after but roughly Suzuki Swift sized. Just get something post 63 plate.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201511218876734?postcode=KA9%201JW&onesearchad=used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew&price-from=9000&keywords=vrs&model=fabia&search-target=usedcars&sort=default&radius=1501&price-to=13000&make=skoda&page=2&logcode=p

The Swift will be the only new one you can find I think- highly regarded too.

The real answer, cost no object, is the Fiesta ST.

speed12
    Free Member

I loved my DS3 THP150 when I had one – would definitely through that in to the mix.

Ignore the fact it’s a Citroen; the DS range is built far better than the normal ones (which are actually very good now anyway).

Engine is the same as in a 1 series BMW as well if that helps (well, few small differences, but it was co-developed between Citroen/Peugeot and BMW)

molgrips
    Free Member

the DS range is built far better than the normal ones (which are actually very good now anyway).

Have they started putting the pedals in the right place yet?

allthegear
    Free Member

The CTHE model Fabia VRS I had was brilliant. Really good car and not slow in any scenario.

Was pretty good on fuel, too. Was getting real 40mpg.

Rachel

slimjim78
    Free Member

Love the Fabia – only available in 5 door – completely uncomfortable for me to get in and out of the bloody thing. Regratably removed from my wish list.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Swift

Handling is absolutely superb. Engine is a revvy little bugger that is surprisingly good!
    Massive fun to drive, and can be made even quicker if you so wish.
    If you don’t want 17’s then fit 16’s although 15’s seem to be very popular just now…

Duffer
    Free Member

[Recommend what you own]

We have an Ibiza FR with the 1.4 tsi 140bhp. Its a brilliant little thing! Great to drive, 20 quid tax and it sounds good too! I think ours was 14k ish. Exactly the same under the skin as the Polo ecoGT something-or-other.

[/recommend what you own]

We looked at the Swift, but it was slightly too small for the family. Otherwise brilliant.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 122 total)

The topic ‘New warm supermini's – are there any?’ is closed to new replies.