Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • New vs Old Orange Five
  • roverpig

I know that the Five evokes strong emotions on both sides and I’ve seen people state that they preferred the older ones, but I just wondered if anybody had ridden the older (pre 2007) and newer models and could comment on the the differences.

I’m enjoying playing around with an old (2006) model, so naturally wonder whether I’d enjoy a newer model even more. I know; only one way to really find out, but this way is cheaper.

I’ve also got some 150mm forks and was toying with the idea of putting in an angle adjusting headset with these, which I think would bring the geometry closer to the newer models anyway.

Cheers,

Andy

ads678

not the answer you want but….

I love my 2005 Five but have not ridden a newer one yet!!

[/url][/img]

chestrockwell

I had a 2006 and now ride a 2009 (same geometry as new ones). 2009 feels less twitchy and is better down hill due to being slacker but is just as good going up imo. Hard to put my finger on exactly why but the newer one just feels better and more refined. Newer shock/fork help as my current Fox RP23/DT XMM are far better then the Manitou Swinger/Fox Float that were on my 2006.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

One of our bunch had an old 20″ Five (maybe 2006ish). I have the 2011 version of the same.
    He’s tried mine/his back to back and remarked on the newer one being much less “stretched out”.
    I suspect it is shorter in the top tube, not just the effect of me running a 50mm stem.

jam-bo

Braap…

Untitled by jambo-uk, on Flickr

old ones rule.

roverpig

Thanks folks.

So, those who have ridden both do tend to prefer the newer model, but those who only have the older one are happy enough with it not to be tempted.

The comments would tend to tie in with the idea that all they’ve really done is fitted a longer fork and reduced the head angle so that the three contact points are in pretty much the same position (relative to each other and to the rear axle). That would explain why the climbing is pretty much unaffected but it feels a bit more stable on the way down. It would also suggest that you could get a very similar feel from an older model by using an angle reducing headset and a longer fork.

Cheers,

Andy

composite
    Free Member

So in 2007 did they just change the head angle? When did the bendy top tube come in?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Bendy top tube came in in 2007; it got slacker in 2009.

I used to have a 2007 Five and I loved it. The newer model I found too slack and a bit dopey through the steering. Some folk seem to call that ‘stable’; I find it ‘less reponsive’ 🙂

If I wanted that I’d have gone for an Alpine, and enjoyed the longer travel.

composite
    Free Member

I believe I have a 2009, any distinguishing features that will tell me for sure? 😳

chestrockwell

From memory 2009 was the first year to use Reynolds tubes. Decals were different as well. If yours has a number 5 on the swing arm it’s probably 2007/08, if it’s in text it’s probably 2009/10. 2009 also introduced the indent below the shock mount on the swing arm, before that it was flat if that makes sense.

composite
    Free Member

I bought it second hand and it went straight in the loft. The next time it came out was to be stripped and resprayed, so I can’t remember what it was like before. 😕

There is an indent like the one you describe though so I’m going to accept its a 2009.

Cheers. 🙂

chestrockwell

So, those who have ridden both do tend to prefer the newer model, but those who only have the older one are happy enough with it not to be tempted.

The comments would tend to tie in with the idea that all they’ve really done is fitted a longer fork and reduced the head angle so that the three contact points are in pretty much the same position (relative to each other and to the rear axle). That would explain why the climbing is pretty much unaffected but it feels a bit more stable on the way down. It would also suggest that you could get a very similar feel from an older model by using an angle reducing headset and a longer fork.

Not quite but it’s hard for my small brain to explain. The travel has not really changed either with the 2007 with old geometry running 140mm and the current one the same.
    I guess the easiest way to put it is if you’ve got a pre 2008, especially 2006 or older, bike and upgrade to a 2009+ you will see a noticable improvement (nearly everyone) and be a happy bunny, just like I was. However, that’s not to say the older bikes are mince.

My advice would be if you have the funds to get a 2009+ bike go for it, you won’t be dissapointed but if you don’t or don’t want to your earlier bike is still well up to the job.

pdV6
    Free Member

2010 model bought in 2009:

iainc

I have an 08 one, so with the bendy top tube but not the slacker geo or tapared head tube etc and do sometime wonder whether I would feel blown away or indifferent to a new one…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘New vs Old Orange Five’ is closed to new replies.