Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • New tyres….Whats "recommended"?
  • letmetalktomark

In its simplest form I have never needed/been able to run more than a 2.1'' tyre on my bikes (Mainly pre 2000 hartails) but now I have built up my first full squish bike.

Currently the bike is running….you guess it…2.1'' IRC tyres 😆 🙄

What comes recommended in a 2.2'' – 2.4'' range.

I would like something lightish as the bike is under 30lbs at the moment and I would like to keep it that way 😆 😆 😆

Bike in question:

What about Continental Mountains?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I wasn't too taken with the Mountain Kings, but might look again as a summer/hardpack tyre. Rubber Queens are rocking my world at the moment, could try a 2.4 front 2.2 rear combination.

letmetalktomark

Like the looks of the rubber queen but seem so heavy 😯

Eek.

That sub 30lb build looks troublesome now!

mrben100
    Free Member

I had 2.35 Panaracer Rampage on my old steed – read a couple of good reviews and I loved them. Not sure how heavy they are though.

And as you'll see from the thread though, not everyone loves every tyre. (suprise 😮 )

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/panaracer-rampage-opinions

MrNutt
    Free Member

High Rollers, LUST.

thefallguy
    Free Member

Spesh Eskar Control 2.3 700g
    Spesh Purgatory Control 2.2 650g

I like these tyres! run them tubeless, both blow up big and seem to cope well with wide variety of conditions. tend to use Eskars in the Peaks/Lakes as they feel great in rocky situations. Purgatory copes ok in amongst rocks but I find it doesnt track so well, I use it for more general rides, trail centres, local woods etc

br
    Free Member

Where do you ride, probably far more important than width/tread/weight etc.

letmetalktomark

b r – Member

Where do you ride, probably far more important than width/tread/weight etc.

I guess I'm after the one tyre fits all type thing… 🙄 😆

letmetalktomark

FRiday bump… 😉

poppa
    Free Member

Kenda Nevegal in 2.35" are about as big as Maxxis High-Rollers in 2.5" if you really want a big tyre, and they weigh 720g. This is lighter and bigger than Rubber Queens (2.2", 750g). Pretty decent all-round tyres, do well in most conditions but don't excel anywhere.

I think you would be pressed to find a better weight/volume ratio, but willing to be proved wrong.

letmetalktomark

Just gone with some of these from the classifieds:

Maxxis Minion DH F/R 2.35 60a

Never ridden a big tyre like this so looking forward to it.

Cheers All.

Mark

Lemurian
    Free Member

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Very happy with Panaracer Cinder 2.25's most of the year except being in highland Scotland always go for Panaracer Trailraker 2.1's for winter. Recently switched to Pan Rampage 2.35's which are actually ligher than the Cinders. Jury still out – faster rolling but seems less traction when its wet

james
    Free Member

You sound like you desperately don't want big heavy slow tyres.

Personally I wouldn't jump into the bigger 700g ish tyres unless you consistently ride in rocky areas (peaks/lakes etc etc) or sessioning DH courses and want all the cushionining you can fit

Something like:
    2.1" Kenda Blue Groove(slightly chunkier) or Nevegal(still chunky) DTC folding is 609g (I'm running Nev's front/rear atm). They are near as makes little difference as big as a Maxxis 2.35" High Roller/Minion/Ignitor/Larsen TT and bigger than continental 2.3"s (SK's) and have coped no problems with lakes(borrowdale/walna scar)/peaks(j.ladder)
    2.2" Bontrager ACX folding is about 565g and bigger than a 2.1" Kenda. They are a little hard though

re: tyre sizes
    IME/IMO

IRC 2.1" ~= 2.1" Maxxis Ignitor/HR = 2.1" Continental < 2.1" Panaracer << 2.3" Continental (SK's) = 2.1" Maxxis Advantage/Crossmark < 2.1" Kenda < 2.35" Maxxis = 2.2" Specialized < 2.2" Bontrager << 2.25" Maxxis = 2.5" Maxxis = 2.3" Specialized = 2.35" Kenda

(Open to discussion .. especially as to where 2.2"/2.4" Continental and 2.35" Panaracer fit into there)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘New tyres….Whats "recommended"?’ is closed to new replies.