Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • New turbo – Tacx flux or Elite Direto?
  • mrjmt
    Free Member

Does anyone have experience of both? I’m after a direct drive, and want ant+ fe-c.

Noticed the new elite direto has a proper power meter in it so swaying towards that one, has anyone actually tried one?

teamslug
    Free Member

Watches with interest.

PlumzRichard
    Free Member

I purchased a Direto around 2 months ago, no previous experience of direct drive smart trainers but its been absolutely fantastic, smooth feeling, power is spot on and very sturdy. I really cant see any reason why you would spend more on the Tacx versions.

However I would say its not as quiet as perhaps I would initially lead to believe…

Any questions then fire away.

mrjmt
    Free Member

How does the direto handle changes in power? do you have to change gear to keep it within the power ‘band’?
    for example on my old tacx vortex I have to change up or down a couple of gears when going between intervals and rest on trainerroad, otherwise if i’m in the ‘interval’ gear, the turbo can’t reduce the power enough and I’ll sit above the target power in the rest, likewise if I don’t change gear at the end of the rest, the wheel speed is too slow for the interval part and its like pedalling in treacle!

trailwagger
    Free Member
    ghostlymachine
    Free Member

A colleagues second flux is being returned this week. First one lasted a month, second one, 11 months.

Will apparently be upgrading to something a little more robust rather than trying a third flux……

mrjmt
    Free Member

Yep, i’m looking to replace my tacx vortex due to its rubbish reliability. Already broken the second resistance unit that they sent.

continuity
    Free Member

Flux looks more like a neo, better compatability, better software (direto can’t do BTLE on a lot of apps and requires an ANT+ adapter).

Direto is basically a drivo in another shell (accuracy basically the same, not 2.5% but closer to 1%). ANT+ has been faultless for me. It’s a little noisier than a flux.

Both rated to about the same wattage – I can’t afford a neo so I have to do my NM power / 5s sprints on a Wattbike as the direto won’t handle it, but that’s not the end of the world as most stuff is well below the 1400w limit.

Personally I’d buy whatever is cheapest by a large margin. I got a direto for 600 posted so that made sense, but I think BC discount gets you a flux from CRC for 580.

bazzer
    Free Member

My Kickr has been good, though I do use it with a powermeter as the built in power measurement of the Mk1 is not entirely accurate.

But in terms of use and feel its great.

munkster
    Free Member

There are well-frequented Facebook user groups for both the Flux and the Direto if of interest. I joined both of them when I was looking to upgrade from my Tacx Vortex Smart, then promptly bought a Kickr 😉 I was very close to buying a Direto however, and was totally put off buying a Flux, rightly or wrongly. I’m sure there are lots of happy Flux-ers out there though!

TiRed

Direto for accuracy. Neo if you can afford it for silence at the next price point. I think those are DC’s conclusions. I’m about to go for a Neo for silence. Also looked at Kickrs and reconditioned units come up on their web page for Direto prices.

Halfords plus BC discount any time (and includes reductions at sale prices), or CRC and the same discount once per month. Savings will pay for BC membership and more.

mick_r

Wife and son have had a flux for about 4 months. Has been very flaky. The basic app works OK Bluetooth, but the more useful tablet app was inoperable without an Ant dongle (allegedly works Bluetooth but many many emails and firmware updates, different devices etc just couldn’t fix it).

It has then had two periods of just flat not working – I think I’ve correlated this with low (but not especially cold) temperatures in the garage.

When it works it quietly does the job, but it is on the last chance now and will be sent back if anything else happens (bought locally for this reason – luckily price was also good)

The-milkybar-kid
    Free Member

My mate has had 2 flux the 1st lasted a few months the 2nd only a couple of rides,I have the neo and that has been great but it should be it cost a fortune

tomlevell

purchased a Direto around 2 months ago, no previous experience of direct drive smart trainers but its been absolutely fantastic, smooth feeling, power is spot on and very sturdy. I really cant see any reason why you would spend more on the Tacx versions.

However I would say its not as quiet as perhaps I would initially lead to believe…

Similar experience except the noise. Once I’d oiled the bike chain properly it was not very noisy. All a bit subjective though.
    7 weeks in and no issues so far.

When in training mode on Zwift whatever gear I’ve used it’s adjusted itself to accomodate the power requirement. Not done any sessions above 300 watts though. Nearly hit 1000watts so I doubt I’ll trouble the 1400watt limit anytime soon.

The only annoyance, which it isn’t really, is the dot matrix sound when it’s changing the power requirement. You soon tune it out and it’s not that loud. Reading DCRainmaker comments previously it’s not obvious on all.

It’s also very wide and bigger than most trainer mats and currently Madison haven’t got any of the new bigger Elite Mats. Other manufacturers are available.

scaredypants

I have a Drivo – owned for nearly a year now and done over 3000km on it

I like it, though can’t claim to have tried loads of others. Feels very realistic, it’s quiet (NOT silent – and I get a bit of dot-matrix too) and all I’ve had to do is lube the drive belt once during the year.

I may have some comment regarding accuracy but that’ll be at the end of this week (I have tried another power meter with it and they don’t agree but I don’t yet know which is wrong)

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Elite Direto here, no issues at all, works flawlessly with Zwift.

Its quieter than I imagined it would be too. Sturdy no wobble, nice that the legs can be individually adjusted too I think.

Cant think of anything bad to say , perhaps a slightly longer power lead wire would be good?

I’ve an ANT USB stick, works great with it. I didn’t like the cadence out of it so use a garmin one on the stays and pedal instead.

My first direct drive turbo too.

The only annoyance, which it isn’t really, is the dot matrix sound when it’s changing the power

I like that noise, reminds me its working / communicating whatever.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

Exactly the same as coolhandluke for me too.

First proper turbo, works like a charm with Zwift and you can either have it set for ERG mode or normal where you change gears to add to the realism.

I prefer the latter.

The only small gripe and I dont know if this is a ant fe+c trait is that it takes a second or two for the gradient resistance to kick in after I’ve already started to go up but at the same time its a second or two slow to remove the resistance once you reach the summit so its swings and roundabouts.

Absolutely love the Direto + Zwift as a combination to make indoor training enjoyable. My last attempt was several years ago with a standard turbo, watching films just isnt the same.

mick_r

Well tonight the Flux had an update for “cold start fault” – looks like we diagnosed that one correctly 🙂

tomlevell

The only annoyance, which it isn’t really, is the dot matrix sound when it’s changing the power

I like that noise, reminds me its working / communicating whatever.

Yes that’s kind of where I’m at with it. Reassuring noise to remind you it’s working and making you work. I used the wrong function one night and it was basically a dumb trainer and span at a constant pace up the main climb on Zwift. Much duller in comparison to it working properly.

I’ve tried to use dumb trainers before but basically give up after a short period. 7 weeks and 37 hours of riding has made this a very good purchase so far along with Zwift. It’s also fitted into a currently busy life where I’d have managed about 15 hours of riding and some of that would have been properly grim. I’d rather be outside in daylight but that’s never going to happen until I retire at this time of year.

scaredypants

scaredypants – Member

I may have some comment regarding accuracy but that’ll be at the end of this week (I have tried another power meter with it and they don’t agree but I don’t yet know which is wrong)
    Small update. after testing with other PMs it seems that my Drivo is not accurate to anything like 1%. Going to do some more testing at home but may well be a warranty job

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

If Cycle Republic prices online are the same in-store, get thyself to a store and get a Dorrito for ~£625 including British Cycling discount. You might even get it by Xmas Eve.

I’m crossing fingers that my one (from PBK with 15% discount) leaves DPD depot in Stoke and reaches my doorstep tomorrow. 😈

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘New turbo – Tacx flux or Elite Direto?’ is closed to new replies.