Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • New trick with contact lenses
  • MaryHinge
    Free Member

I wear varifocal glasses all the time. Left eye +1.5 right eye +3.5. Getting on a bit (52) means that I need varifocals for reading or I would need two pairs of glasses which is a right pain.

I started wearing contacts a couple of years ago for riding. I can ride without correction but it’s better with. But map/garmin reading and any mechanical fixing I need reading glasses which is another ball ache.

Latest eye test I’d heard that varifocal contacts are now available so I had a trial few pairs. Could see well close up but longer vision I.e. Over 5m was blurry. Not uncommon for varifocal contacts apparently.

So optician suggested try one standard lens and one varifocal lens. Tried left eye varifocal, right eye standard, that was no better than both varifocal.

Tried left eye standard right eye varifocal, total revelation.

Did a couple of hours mtb, could focus properly on the trail ahead, could read garmin and see perfectly for close up tasks. Got home and had a shower and forgot I’d even got them in it was so natural.

Great little trick that I thought I’d share.

bruneep

tried varifocal contacts never got on with them. Now use +2.25 in right (reading) +0.50 in left (distance)

theotherjonv

similar to bruneep, my prescription is 3.5 each side but I have a 3.0 in my non-dominant eye, so the dominant is perfect for distance and the other for closer up (even if I have to occasionally close one eye)

The only time it’s a notable compromise is at dusk, when I really struggle with detail.

john_drummer
    Free Member

i’m at the optician tomorrow to try exactly this.

I’ve been short sighted since I was about 15, corrected with glasses and since I was about 25, contact lenses.

I’m 52 now & started suffering from presbyopia about 5 years ago. Tried varifocal glasses, didn’t get on with them. tried again about a year ago & completely used to them now.

I still use single vision contact lenses, but with a pair of +1.5 ready reading glasses for close up work. Fine mostly.
    Until I went to Venice last month. changing between sunglasses so I’m not blinded and reading glasses so I can read the messages on my phone/camera when taking pictures was a total PITA. So if I can get contact lenses that allow me to read as well as see distance, and only need sunnies, that would be a huge bonus

theotherjonv

It is a compromise, neither vision is as good as when properly corrected, but so’s having to put reading glasses on when you need to read. Took me a while to find the right under correction, and as I say that is only really an issue in low light. Just be prepared the first couple of attempts might not be as you hope, don’t give up.

birky
    Free Member

Similar issues here. Shortsighted (-4.0) and been wearing contacts for over 30 years but now struggle with closeup stuff and use +2 reading glasses over the contacts. Wonder if I can get away with wearing just one contact 😕

john_drummer
    Free Member

Multifocal contact lenses are the dogs whatsits

That is all

teethgrinder

-4.0? I wish.
    L is -5.50, R is -6.25.

jkomo

If you haven’t tried them for a while, it’s worth trying again as the technology has come on somewhat.
    Just don’t expect them to be perfect for everything.

john_drummer
    Free Member

For me, they’re good enough. For example, I’m doing my this on my iPhone without any reading glasses. New to me

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘New trick with contact lenses’ is closed to new replies.