Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • New transport secretary = idiot
  • jon1973
    Free Member

I'd probably have to agree with you there grum (although it goes against the grain 😉 )

Kieran

Neither of you have to drive on a regular basis then? I'll agree his opinions on cyclists are a bit short sighted, but at least unlike the last crowd he knows there exists a world outside the M25.

ETA: Under the last lot we've seen a reduction in police on our roads but an increase in pointless speed cameras, mostly sited to raise income rather than improve road safety. 'HATO's who have virtually no powers, they can't even help a stranded motorist change a wheel. An increase in VED none of which has been put back into the road infastructure. Highest fuel prices whilst oil is at soe of the lowest.

kimbers

if he really doesnt like advanced stoping boxes for cyclists there will probably be a few deaths n his hands before he moves onto the next post he is completely ignorant of

jon1973
    Free Member

I was refering really to his opinion on cyclists.

GrahamS

Oh dear he does sound like a bit of a muppet.

And he has replaced my favourite ever Transport Secretary, Lord Adonis:

"Woof!"

coffeeking
    Free Member

odd double post – de;eted

BillyWhizz
    Free Member

"We will end the war on motorists," proclaimed the new transport secretary Philip Hammond on his first day in office, providing an instant soundbite for Jeremy Clarkson fans everywhere

We live in a world of soudbites and so called "reality" tv. Maybe the new government feel there is some mileage in saying things that lots of people want to hear? Regardless of whether they belive it or it's achievable.

coffeeking
    Free Member

As a cyclist and cycle commuter as well as a driver, I agree with the majority of what he says, but I worry about his overall attitude to cyclists. Many of the traffic calming measures I've seen implemented have made several matters worse. Many of the cyclists I see are **** lethal in their cycling habits. Cycle lanes are, to me, a danger. Faster limits on safer roads at night makes perfect sense, as does reduced limits in bad weather as per France.

grumm
    Free Member

Anyone who uses the phrase 'war on motorists' is a moron. Motorists are still massively favoured in this country – and I am a regular driver as well as cyclist FWIW.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Next up, the government will "end the war on middle class straight white men".

chakaping
    Free Member

Maybe the new government feel there is some mileage in saying things that lots of people want to hear? Regardless of whether they belive it or it's achievable.

My thoughts exactly, he's just saying what people want to hear.

nickc

"Newly appointed Minister caught saying things he knows will be a easy score with the people that share his belief systems" shocker…

🙄

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

While people continue to believe this bilge his views remain acceptable

Kieran – Member

Neither of you have to drive on a regular basis then? I'll agree his opinions on cyclists are a bit short sighted, but at least unlike the last crowd he knows there exists a world outside the M25.
    A bit short sighted? Dangerous and harshly anti cyclist – clearly he has no idea at all about cycling

ETA: Under the last lot we've seen a reduction in police on our roads but an increase in pointless speed cameras, mostly sited to raise income rather than improve road safety.

Rubbish. Cameras are sited at accident blackspots and no profit is made from them – it is all returned to the road safety partnerships

'HATO's who have virtually no powers, they can't even help a stranded motorist change a wheel.

WTF?

An increase in VED none of which has been put back into the road infastructure.

VED does not pay for roads and never has – and cars are subsidised by the general population as local roads are paid fro by councils trunk roads out of general taxation. Motoring taxes raise less than cars cost the country.

Highest fuel prices whilst oil is at soe of the lowest.

Fuel prices are far too low – see above and anyway I don't know where you get your idea from that oil is cheap right now.

FFS – this is supposed to be a cyclists forum – how come so many swallow this bilge!

CaptJon
    Free Member

A shallow analysis of a few quotes.

Edit – the Bike Blog post that is.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Boris will sort him out 🙂

Drac

FFS – this is supposed to be a cyclists forum – how come so many swallow this bilge!

It is but many of of drive cars too. I know it's a shock but it's a fact.

Kieran

it is all returned to the road safety partnerships

Who do what with it?

WTF?

Health and Safety and to stop any claim against them should something happen. i.e. they change a wheel and it falls off further down the road

VED does not pay for roads and never has

where did i say it did?2

Fuel prices are far too low

Which planet are you living on?

BermBandit
    Free Member

Do you reckon he's spoken to his boss before giving this interview, or do you reckon Call me Dave is sitting in the new kitchen with his head in his hands?

Any bets on how long it is before one of his boys is in trouble for spanking/cottaging/playing away?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Which planet are you living on?

The one being f***cked in the ass by lazy people planet raping all over the shop.

rootes1

what is the issue exactly – thought it all sounded reasonable?

Plus you have to allow for the anti tory editing of the interview by the guardian…

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

A friend has to deal with this new transport minister, and whilst the guardian may be over analysing a few quotes, they happen to be correct here. He's VERY anti-cyclist and generally of the opinion cyclists shouldn't be on the roads at all as they don't pay 'road tax' (his words). also in favour of increasing public transport costs and reducing traffic jams (won't that just encourage more cars??).

He was strongly advised to tone down most of his comments, which he did, before speaking the the evening standard where the original article appeared.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Keiran – direct quote from you

That is not what VED is there for. It is a tax. General taxation pays for major roads, local councils for minor and urban roads.

Still don't understand your point about changing wheels – you want the civilain motorway patrol guys to change car drivers wheels for them?

GrahamS

…of the opinion cyclists shouldn't be on the roads at all as they don't pay 'road tax' (his words)…

Nnnn… gh…. *seeeeeeeeeeeeeeth*

Must. Not. Write. Irate. Letter. Based. On. Hearsay.

samuri
    Free Member

Nevertheless, any transport minister who does not place cycling and public transport right at the forefront of his strategy is a right old bell end. You can argue as much as you want about the roads being for motorists and it being dangerous for cyclists but anyone who does not see the car's days as being numbered needs to see a mental health professional.

We need to start building the infrastructure that will replace the car centred system we have in place, right now. We need to start changing people's attitudes, right now, and on a massive scale, because the oil is running out (latest estimate is around 30 years left – yes?) and whether there are alternative fuels in the pipeline (sic) or not, they are not going to provide the same scale of personal freedom we get from cars for a very long time to come.

And all that aside, it's totally irresponsible to continue in any manner other than looking at the greener alternatives. Not just for ourselves but for all those developing countries who have masses of people all looking for a car, we in the west made the world like this and we need to change it sharpish and set the example for others to follow.

And on a very tentatively related note, at least the guy doesn;t look like the most dodgiest civil servant on earth who coincidentally is the highest paid civil servant.
    John Fingleton.

davidrussell
    Free Member

Dear Nick,

Can I have my vote back please?

Thanks

David

uplink
    Free Member

anyone who does not see the car's days as being numbered needs to see a mental health professional.

I suspect it's a rather large number though & I bet most here will never see that day

traildog
    Free Member

Looking at the overall cost of car ownership, I think it is actually got cheaper. During the last 15 years I've been driving VED actually fell if you have a small engined car. I don't, but it didn't go up with inflation for a number of years. There is a move to get rid of heavy polluting cars off the road and if you insist on using one then it's going to cost you.

Petrol is expensive across Europe. Taxing it is a good way of raising income for the country and I don't really see peoples issue with it that much. It does have an effect on inflation though. Petrol is still fairly cheap considering what you get and the damage it does.

Car prices have dropped. Insurance seems steep at the moment. Cars are more reliable so repair costs have got less.

It's easier to be a motorist now than it was when I started driving. It used to be a luxury, but now every student and his dog has a car and is usually moaning about how there is a "war on motorists".

Oh, and not sure HATOs should be replacing the AA! Where did that one come from?

grumm
    Free Member

It's easier to be a motorist now than it was when I started driving. It used to be a luxury, but now every student and his dog has a car and is usually moaning about how there is a "war on motorists".

Yup.

Nevertheless, any transport minister who does not place cycling and public transport right at the forefront of his strategy is a right old bell end.

Yup

rootes1

looking at mtb'ng these days it seems more people drive to trail centres, riding etc and thus for their cycling hobby spend more time in the car and more on fuel etc

'what car for the new transport minister…'

'what car for trail centres…'

'what car for all my cycling crap…'

ps cars are ace – they will be around for ages even if their propulsion changes..

taxing fuel is a great way of means tested taxation… use more fuel – pay more tax

kimbers

petrol is cheap for us but costs teh people who live in oil rich countries dearly
    nigeria

saudi

there are much worse images from there
    venezuela

some people pay an awful lot for oil, its not us though

AndyRT
    Free Member

quick poll for the sandal wearing green ethics types…

Do you live in a city/town?
    Are you aware of the lack of alternatives outside main urban areas?

If infrastructure allowed us to use Bio-ethanol, then great, or even better, march those new hydrogen powered cars into production. I'm not tied to fossil fuels, just personal transport. Don't tax me for your selfish, urbanite point of view, otherwise known as a labour voter!

But we are off topic….

Yes, Hammond sounds like a Tory from the 1950s. Anyone got an INITIATE NATIONAL PANIC button on the their keypad?

BermBandit
    Free Member

Written to my Mp to ask for clarification

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

You know those commons petition things that never get responded to. One of you should start one of them.

grumm
    Free Member

Someone pointed out recently that the amount of oil spilled in the recent disaster in the US is the same as gets spilled into the Niger Delta every single year 🙁

Do you live in a city/town?
    Are you aware of the lack of alternatives outside main urban areas?

Yes, but do you think increasing reliance on cars is a good long term strategy?

GrahamS

Don't tax me for your selfish, urbanite point of view, otherwise known as a labour voter!

*consults the Election Results 2010 map*

Oddly most of the remaining Labour voters appear to be "outside main urban areas" to me.

AndyRT
    Free Member

what I really hate about your argument, and the general argument for leaving the idea of motorised transport in the last century is the complete and utter lack of an alternative other then huddle in a muddy village and start your own hemp based transport policy.

If Greenpeace and friends of the earth and all those middle class pointy wagging finger type organisations supported technical development for realistic alternatives, rather than ill conceived hijacks of oil platforms and other stupidity, then we would be in a better place right now.

[\rant]

AndyRT
    Free Member

GrahamS,

You mean apart form inner London, Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham……

Kieran

TandemJeremy – Member

Keiran – direct quote from you

That is not what VED is there for. It is a tax. General taxation pays for major roads, local councils for minor and urban roads.

Still don't understand your point about changing wheels – you want the civilain motorway patrol guys to change car drivers wheels for them?

TJ – I agree that it is not what it is there for. However, our road system in this country is a joke. I'm in a position where I have to drive over 750 miles per week (Sales Engineer) and the one area that i would like to see my taxes being spent has largely been ignored by the previous government – local and national, if taxes direct from motorists arn't used to maintain the systems we use then what should? Surely the fairest method would to be use revenue from VED.

On the matter of the HATO's my (now ex) girlfriend had a puncture on the motorway. She had a spare and the tools with which to change it. However she did not have the strength to undo the wheel nuts. She phoned the AA but was told, even as a lone female, that she would have to wait around an hour for a patrol.

Whilst she was waiting a HATO vehicle arrived and she asked for assistance to undo the wheel nuts only to be told that they couldn't help and if the AA didn't arrive within the hour they would have her vehicle recovered at her expense. Now what on earth are we paying these jobsworths for if they cant even help when required?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

is the complete and utter lack of an alternative other then huddle in a muddy village and start your own hemp based transport policy.

a hit in one! Take a little ganja and travel in your imagination :o)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘New transport secretary = idiot’ is closed to new replies.