Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • New trails in North Manchester!
  • Harry_the_Spider

The local authority have the funding to add an additional 3km of trails around Philips Park in Whitefield. This will link into the 4+km of blue and (albeit short) red grade stuff in Waterdale that can be tagged on to the larger loop around Outwood and Clifton. Hurrah!

Work starts in the Winter.

Somebody needs to organise a race on it! 😉

RustySpanner

Any idea which bits?

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Great news.

Not been round there for years, does anyone know how muddy it is at the moment ? Might go for a blast round there this week.

Harry_the_Spider

Any idea which bits?

They’ve sent me a map. But I don’t think I’m supposed to publish it.

Basically it is a perimeter trail around the park with a section that runs along the ridge above Mere Clough rather than on the path by the stream at the bottom of it.

Not been round there for years, does anyone know how muddy it is at the moment ? Might go for a blast round there this week.

The stuff in Waterdale has proper drainage. Buts of the park are a swamp.

RustySpanner

Edited.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Harry, I live in South Manchester, my local loop is a 20 mile loop starting from Reddish Vale that heads out to Etherow and Marple. You probably know the area? I’m wondering if I can use the trails in Whitefield to get a similar length ride out? Is there more stuff you can get to if you just keep riding away from Manchester or do the trails run out?

Cheers

Harry_the_Spider

I have no idea where Reddish Vale is. 😳

The Waterdale stuff links in nicely with the Sustrans 6 route and the canal network around Little Lever. There are various bits that you can add to it. Hurst Woods, Moses Gate, Clifton Country Park, Nob End (snigger), Prestolee Road etc.

Get yourself on Google Earth or an OS and stitch a route together. You should be able to make up 20 miles.

Bunnyhop

Oh this sounds ideal for children’s rides too.
    Brilliant.

binners

Harry – Are there any plans to have sections of these new trails named after your-good-self and whatsisname – you know the one – that other bloke who badgers the local council on behalf of us all

I feel an internet campaign coming on 😉

Harry_the_Spider

Yeah. The berms should be called “Los Guapos” in our honour.

To be honest all of this trail building has nothing to do with us or HtN at all as far as I know.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I have no idea where Reddish Vale is.

The Waterdale stuff links in nicely with the Sustrans 6 route and the canal network around Little Lever. There are various bits that you can add to it. Hurst Woods, Moses Gate, Clifton Country Park, Nob End (snigger), Prestolee Road etc.

Get yourself on Google Earth or an OS and stitch a route together. You should be able to make up 20

Oh, well you should, let me know if you want a GPS track to follow! I’ll see what I can work out and maybe head on up that way sometime soon. Cheers

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

where is waterdale got to Philips park a lot, is there stuff im missing?

Harry_the_Spider

eh?

RustySpanner

jumpupanddown – Member

where is waterdale got to Philips park a lot, is there stuff im missing?

Grammar and punctuation? 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘New trails in North Manchester!’ is closed to new replies.