Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • New trails at Glencoe Mountain Resort
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

Notwithstanding the somewhat flexible use of the term ‘resort’, there are a few new XC trails at Glencoe ski centre that have now been opened. They are still a work in progress, but in any case they are never meant to be nice smooth surfaced trail centre tracks. I don’t work there so it’s not a stealth advert, they were kind enough to take our local group up last week to have a look and help ride them in. I don’t believe you will find a more majestic location for biking in the UK. Details are on the GMR facebook page , and of course the downhill red and blacks are there for a happy ending.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Good stuff, I’ve oft commented that GMR really miss the boat with the amount of passing trade they get going to FW and Nevis range for biking.

I recall someone posting on here before who was trailbuilding for them, he was either a bit paranoid or there was some really odd cloak and dagger stuff going on, dodgy meetings in car parks and threats and such like… 😮

thegreatape
    Free Member

With these, you could just take one uplift, ride the trails at the top for an hour or two, then blat down one of the DH tracks and be on your way. Don’t know how much one uplift is but if it’s a tenner or less I’d pay that.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ah, so the trails are up top then? that’s a good wee selling point.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Yes, all up the top. You’ve got the WHW passing along the bottom, might make a nice detour off that!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Are they going to start offering better food and service too?

The food they serve is utter shite, and theres certainly no service with a smile….

garryfmacdonald
    Free Member

The trail map on FB has prices on it. Looks like £10 per adult to ride on the chair once plus another £10 for your bike. Juniors half that.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Contrary to above we stopped at the cafe last time we went to fort augustus and the food in the cafe was decent and the staff friendly…

Its 25 all day uplift and the black xc looks a real toughie. I will be up soon for sure.

I am gald they are doing this. Glenshee had plans and even some design work done i understand but they changed their minds.

Aviemore would be the best but that hill has too many protected areas on it. Plus glencoe is close enough to stirling/glasgow to ba accessible.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Typical tbh, place builds new trails, tries to grow and invest, some nugget moans about the cafe.

At least there’s no parking charge for folks to go full nuclear about.

garryfmacdonald
    Free Member

You can always cycle / hike up for free!

flowerpower
    Free Member

In defence of all the guys at Glencoe, I pootled up the WHW from Tyndrum last week and stopped at the cafe waiting for friends to come over from Fort William. It was pissing down and I sheltered in the cafe for a couple of hours waiting. Cafe staff were friendly, never complained about my loitering about over one hot chocolate.

As we prepared to leave my rear wheel hub imploded on me, the folk at the bike hire loaned me bike to get back to Tyndrum, I had no ID or cash. They saved me a long walk / big taxi fare.

Thanks all if you read this.

fannybaws
    Free Member

if you have tried the food at the other ski ‘resorts’ i dont think glencoe would be the worst.
    hope the trails work out for them.

Northwind

They had plans for this a couple of years ago, glad it’s come to something. It does seem a weird way to use the lifts- xc trails that you get uplifted up to, rather than lift assisted descending. But I gather the hillside back down from the top station is a horror to build in, the first stab at a red trail more or less sank.

More trails = good. But I think it’ll take more accessible uplift trails to really open the place up

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘New trails at Glencoe Mountain Resort’ is closed to new replies.