Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • New Trail Section Open at Gisburn Forest
  • tony_m
    Free Member

Text shamelessly nicked from stumpyjon

Just to let you all know we’ve opened a new half kilometre section of single track at Gisburn Forest. It’s all signed up and fully open. It’s taken us six months almost to the day to build by hand but it’s been worth it (IOHO). The new section cuts out over a mile of rather unpleasent fireroad near the start (after you’ve gone over the causeway) and takes you up to the start of the other volunteer-built section of Homebaked.

It was a tad wet today but a good few riders braved the weather and christened the section (some while we were still finishing it 👿 ).

Anyway we finished off the day by walking out the next section we’re planning to build. About a kilometre of new singletrack bypassing yet more fireroad on the other side of the bottom loop. It’s going to be cracking riding but we’re going to need all the help we can get to finish it any time soon.

If anyone does fancy helping, please see the Gisburn Forest MTB Trail Development Facebook Group for details of how to get involved.

lowey

Thanks for the heads up Tony. Look forward to giving it a go.

je1
    Free Member

This is good news as the said bit of Fireroad was a bit boring, looking forward to riding it this weekend

lowey

Hows the trail holding up at the moment ? Particularly thinking of the bit up by the crag. I remember it was pretty muddy last time I was there.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I was up that way a few weeks back in the pouring rain whilst the new section was being built. Hopefully it will get rid of what is quite a dull fireroad section.

Didnt get chance to say thanks for the great work as I was too out of breath keeping up with a mate.

“Hows the trail holding up at the moment ? Particularly thinking of the bit up by the crag”

I think it was about 4 weeks ago when we were up there. Its just a bit muddy really, and on the particular day we were up there, just after the crag there was one pool of water about 2 foot deep! The stream (correction fast flowing river) was good fun too, only just doable without your wheels been taken from under you.

Holmesey
    Free Member

First visit there in ages yesterday. Big thank you to the trail builders for your great work and for being out in the p….ng rain yesterday.
    the new (to me) log balance is just right, not too low, not too high.

thanks.

ps, any news on what happened to the coffee van guy that used to be there?

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Rode the new section today. Magic weather 🙂

This seems to really shift the balance from forest road towards a singletrack fest :))

Great work by the diggers.

Very muddy between the rocks at the top end. Rollercoaster a bit slimey as well.

The rest of the ‘8’ is holding up well and the Homebaked section is starting to become part of the forest. Lovely stuff!

Cheers
    Paul

Mugboo

We rode it on Wed night.

Big up to the volunteers, there work is superb. Each section has a nice flowy feel and will only get better as it beds in. The log rides are just challenging enough to encourage people to try.

Thats the plus.

On the minus side, lots of the contractor stuff is painfully rocky/stuttery/muddy or doesn’t flow for me (might need to be fitter?).

After all the climbing up to Whelpstone we were rewarded with deep mud so didn’t climb upto the slab. On the strength of that we avoided HullyGully.

The really slippy descent through the woods before the log rides was massively improved though and rides real good.

This isn’t meant to be negative, in time as the volunteers work there magic it’ll be proper bo.

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

On the minus side, lots of the contractor stuff is painfully rocky/stuttery/muddy or doesn’t flow for me (might need to be fitter?).

Worked really well for me with plenty of omph (and a full suss)…

After all the climbing up to Whelpstone we were rewarded with deep mud so didn’t climb upto the slab.

Aye that mud stopped me dead getting momentum to get over the rocky bits. Wonder if owt can be done to improve it??

Gisburn has come on fantastically over the past couple of years :))

tony_m
    Free Member

Thanks for all the positive comments, much appreciated!

Aye that mud stopped me dead getting momentum to get over the rocky bits. Wonder if owt can be done to improve it??

There’s more resurfacing work planned for the end of March on the upper section, though I’m not sure exactly which bit(s). We’re also planning to spend a day touching up a few bits of Homebaked, but nothing major.

neil853
    Free Member

When’s the next dig day planned? I’m going to make a concerted effort to make it

tony_m
    Free Member

When’s the next dig day planned? I’m going to make a concerted effort to make it

The next scheduled dig day is Sunday March 13th, 10:00-15:00. Further details and meet point will be posted nearer the time on the Wall and Events pages on the Gisburn Forest MTB Trail Development Facebook Group.

Come on down, the more the merrier! 8)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘New Trail Section Open at Gisburn Forest’ is closed to new replies.