• This topic has 58 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by IanW.
Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • New Toy (Nothing to See Here Road Bike Haters)
  • bluebird
    Free Member

What do you make of the 52/36 type chainsets? As the years advance my gearing is getting more ‘granny’ and I’m now on 53/39 – 11/25

I’ve been running 52/36 with 11-25 for a couple of months. Not really a huge difference to the 53/39 with 12-25 I was running before. The main difference is the change from 52-36 is a bit bigger, but the I live in Warwickshire and don’t come off the 52 very often.

TiRed

TiRed, isn’t there something in the rules about two cages?

There is indeed – which is why I have a nice Decathlon tool pot firmly held by one of my Arundels in obedience to Rule 31 😉 . I like the rules and follow them religiously; 1.5cm stack, 0.5 cm above.

MrSmith
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure neither Giant nor Cervelo are ‘open mould’

they are tube to tube wrapped joints?

m1kea
    Free Member

Haze

Too early to say m1kea, although I do have 50/36 with 11-25 (10S) on another bike which I get along fine with.

It had a 34 inner with 12-27 on originally, didn’t really need that around here (Mids) so switched to close the gaps up a little.

I’m hoping this will offer the best of both…

+ bluebird

Cheers

I found 50/34 too low a few years ago but then I had better legs then.

Hills round here (Sussex, Surrey and Kent) are generally short sharp ones as opposed to long long drags.

At the other end of the spectrum my TT bike has 55/42 11-23. It doesn’t see much action these days 😐

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve got an R5ca, welcome Son 😀

I use 52/36 with a 12-28 for the South Downs if thats any help.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure neither Giant nor Cervelo are ‘open mould’

they are tube to tube wrapped joints?

do you actually know what “open mould” means? It means a mould owned by the factory and used for generic frames, with no design or IP from a known bike company, you seem to think it is something to do with monocoques and the actual manufacturing process?

Who made your bike?

MrSmith
    Free Member

do you actually know what “open mould” means?

vaguely (thanks for the link) what i was implying was a frame made in a mould with limited fixed sizing and no variation in lay-up for weight/intended use or ability to vary geometry for the riders size. as opposed to tube to tube joined frames where all these things are taken into account and variable.
    i was implying the giant wasn’t a million miles away from the cervelo, both being popped out of moulds in Taiwan in their thousands (possibly even in the same factory).

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What crashtestmonkey said, and even within ‘open mould’ designs there’s infinate different permutations of layups and materials, so two visual identical frames won’t feel the same.

I think you’re implying in your last post that the frame’s aren’t customised to the rider, which whilst true, probably isn’t an issue as there’s 100’s of manufacturers producing 1000’s of designs in 10,000’s of size combinations, somewhere out there is a bike that fits what a customer wants.

Probably more ‘custom’ than building ‘custom’ steel bikes, there’ll be a few uniquie finishing touches, but they’ll all use combinations of the same few tubesets from Reynolds, Columbus, Deda, etc, whereas the designer/engineer at Giant might have entirely different ideas on how to make the tubes themselves than his counterpart at Cervelo.

hora
    Free Member

I doubt that cervelo has a factory making only their frames exclusively for them in Taiwan. If anyone thinks they do -well they’d have to be paying said factory a fortune.

Nice bike though- your saddle is soooo high compared to your bars/frame 😯

I’m a road newbie but is the frame big enough for your height??????

Haze

Saddle height is probably right at the limit for me at the moment, it’ll most likely creep down a touch as I put the miles on and get comfortable on it.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Hora, from my link

For example Cervélo and Scott have used a company called Ten Tech Composites to manufacture their frames.

Scott will own their mould, which they will have designed, as will Cervelo, and they will dictate the fibres used etc, and may well spec different lay-ups for different frame sizes. Factories like Ten Tech will own an in-house mould to knock generic frames to, for example, direct-selling mail order houses or new small start-ups who havent got the cash to invest in their own moulds.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Nice bike though- your saddle is soooo high compared to your bars/frame

I’m a road newbie but is the frame big enough for your height??????

Looks pretty good to me. If you are still comfortable and can make good power then a low front end is a good thing. More aero, free speed.

IHN

is the frame big enough for your height??????

Oh the irony 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

is the frame big enough for your height??????
    Oh the irony

Am amused 😆

bluebird
    Free Member

Haze – Did you get a ride in on it yesterday? How was it?

hora
    Free Member

😆

Haze

Sorry Bluebird missed your post, hope you’re enjoying yours as much as I am mine!

Mister-P
    Free Member

Hora’s recent threads make his comments on this even more amusing. It’s a bit like Cliff Richard giving advice on women.

IanW
    Free Member

Did Hora set up your saddle?

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘New Toy (Nothing to See Here Road Bike Haters)’ is closed to new replies.