• This topic has 58 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by IanW.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • New Toy (Nothing to See Here Road Bike Haters)
  • Haze

Bought to replace my broken Nanolight…

Working from home and can’t escape just yet, sun is shining and itching to get out!

njee20
    Free Member

I like that. Spec?

Look like man sized chainrings too? Well done.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ahhhhgggghhhhaaagaggggggggg!!!!!!!!!

Spacers!

Other than that I like it.

nemesis
    Free Member

Pretty sure that the rules allow for not cutting the steerer before you’ve checked that you’ve got the stem set right 😉

Looks good.

Mister-P
    Free Member

That looks like a lovely wall behind that you could have photographed it in front of instead of sticking the poor thing in a bush.

ahwiles
    Free Member

1) cranks not in-line with the seat-tube.

2) the chain would like you to know that’s it’s not happy in that sprocket.

#photofail.

other than that, it nearly took me a whole half-second to spot the massive logo on the downtube, s’quite subtle for a road bike, i like it.

Haze

Yeah spacers will be sorted once I’m happy with the stack.

It’s a 2014 Ultegra 6800, ‘mid-compact’ 52/36 with 11-25 at the back. Considered a standard but it wasn’t an option to change, figured it’s close enough and will suit pretty much all my riding…

legend
    Free Member

The rules are clear:

Rule #45
    // Slam your stem.

A maximum stack height of 2cm is allowed below the stem and a single 5mm spacer must always – always – be stacked above. A “slammed down” stack height is preferable; meaning that the stem is positioned directly on the top race of the headset.

Haze

The wall ain’t that nice close up.

Awhiles, it’s not on the big sprocket and I was always told cranks at 10 past 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve got 25mm on top of the stem on my Madone, and 45mm on top of the Allez! 😳

mrblobby
    Free Member

Nice that. Those Rotor cranks? Lovely day for a first spin.

Have 15mm on top of the stem on my TCR too, and a good 30mm on my old Trek. I really must do something about that 😳

PrinceJohn

The rules are clear:

The rules are stupid.

grahamg
    Free Member

The rules are written by clueless yanks.

I got one of the ‘R3 dark’ editions last year (re-painted R5 allegedly), so sweet. I went 52/36 with a 12-27 cassette, works fine for me here in UK but I’ll probably whack the 50/34 back on for when I head to the proper mountains this summer.

*Edit, actually the rules were a good bit of fun when they only inhabited t’internet, but horrifyingly there seems to be an increasing number of clueless **** that actually seem to take them moderately seriously (probably new enough to cycling to not really understand the tongue in cheek nature in which they were written).

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Very nice! I’ve a bit of bike envy going on lately and really want to get a new road bike and this is on the shortlist. Can you tell me why you went for the R3? Was there anything else you were looking at?

scruff
    Free Member

Its not a BMX. 🙁

nickc

‘Mid-compact’

A what..?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

A what..?

More useable by anyone not in the pro pelaton than 39-53, but not as twiddly as 34-50.

mrblobby
    Free Member

The rules are stupid.

Not that stupid. Having a 5mm spacer above the stem is quite sensible. Having any more is aesthetically displeasing. And it only says a “slammed down stem is preferable”, which if doable, it quite likely is for a number of reasons.

buck53

The rules are stupid tongue in cheek taken far too seriously by try hards.

FTFY

Haze

Mrblobby, yes Rotor 3DF.

YoKaiser, I’ve loved the R3 at least aesthically for a while. I was going frameset only originally and building up, wasn’t much else around that I liked at that price so settled on the R3.

Had considered the S3 but from reading around it seems the R series are a bit nicer/comfier for longer rides out. If most of my riding was quick 30 mile blasts then maybe I’d have gone for one.

Oh yeah £500 off wasn’t to be sniffed at, the crank swung it for me to buy off the shelf. Maybe consider a wheel upgrade later but will give these a chance first.

Sorry Scruff 8)

mogrim

The rules are stupid tongue in cheek taken far too seriously by try hards getting very old.

FTFY

legend
    Free Member

The rules are probably the most fun thing in roadie-ism. If anyone gets wound up by a joke page on the internet, then they really need to have a wee word with themselves

Legend – 10mm, not fully slammed

PrinceJohn

The rules are probably the most annoying thing in roadie-ism.

FTFY

TiRed

Very nice looking frames. Now you need two gloss Arundel bottle cages, some blue tape to brighten it up, a K-Edge Pro chain catcher and rotate the shifters down slightly to make the levers perfectly vertical for finger tip shifting on the drops.

I didn’t choose one (went for the competition Propel), but think that the S3 is the nicest looking aero road bike about a the moment.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Rules may seem stupid some (being called “the rules” probably doesn’t help!) and to follow them religiously is a bit silly. But if you take one and think about it a bit then most actually contain some pretty good advice that you’d likely benefit from.

Edit: Apologies, thread is meant to be about Haze’s lovely new bike 🙂

legend
    Free Member

If people are taking them seriously, it’s the people that are annoying (like people that do a ‘FTFY’ when they don’t like your opinion). The rules are for a bit of light reading and quoting #5 if anyone’s being whiney.

Anyway, nice bike.

EDIT:

being called “the rules” probably doesn’t help!

That they’re on a website by the Velominati makes me wonder about the IQ of anyone that takes them seriously

Haze

TiRed, isn’t there something in the rules about two cages? 😉

Haze

Unsightly spacers censored…

fathomer

Really nice that, I’ve just had a new roadie but the budget would strech that far, had to settle for a boring Defy!

bluebird
    Free Member

Very nice. Been for a spin on it yet?

(I ordered one of those yesterday, I should be picking it up on Sunday. Very excited.)

Haze

Not yet bb, trying desperately to finish my work off so I can get out…

timc
    Free Member

Is there anything less funny than a road bike stem height/spacer ‘joke’?

m1kea
    Free Member

Haze, grahamg

What do you make of the 52/36 type chainsets? As the years advance my gearing is getting more ‘granny’ and I’m now on 53/39 – 11/25

Haze

Too early to say m1kea, although I do have 50/36 with 11-25 (10S) on another bike which I get along fine with.

It had a 34 inner with 12-27 on originally, didn’t really need that around here (Mids) so switched to close the gaps up a little.

I’m hoping this will offer the best of both…

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

😀 @ Haze

The Rules are written by Americans who have embraced and absorbed the beauty, romance and unwritten lore of the European culture around road riding, and have fun pointing out the absurdities. Whether you find them (and the rest of the articles) amusing or entertaining is personal taste, thinking the Rules are serious is just stupidity.

Anatomy of a Photo: Casually Deliberate Masterclass

2012 V-Moment of the Year: Boonen Goes Long

back on topic….

Lovely bike, the “new” R3 with future-proofed cable routing? CRC have one old one left, in my size and my favourite colour (I have a thing for white bikes), I am hoping someone will buy it before I crack. But I know I’ll be disappointed when it sells 🙄

D0NK

Nice.

Rule 45 bullshit is the reason I can’t buy forks off the classifieds, <190mm steerer my arse, some of us are taller than 5’6″ ffs.

Thinking I’m going to give “mansize” gearing a miss in future too as I quite like climbing hills and would like my knees to still work in a few years

Haze

Yeah internal routing, no doubt eating at me to buy Di2 everytime I look down.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Haze many thanks, R3, S3 and Supersix EVO are being considered, Canyon have fell by the wayside. I’ll look forward to hearing your ride report.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Really nice that, I’ve just had a new roadie but the budget would strech that far, had to settle for a boring Defy!

they are both mass produced open-mould frames no, probably not much between them?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

they are both mass produced open-mould frames no, probably not much between them?

I’m pretty sure neither Giant nor Cervelo are ‘open mould’

Rule 45 bullshit is the reason I can’t buy forks off the classifieds, <190mm steerer my arse, some of us are taller than 5’6″ ffs.

I’m 6ft and would actualy have liked my stem lower, but then I can get my palms flat on the floor when ‘touching my toes’. I end up leaving spacers there knowing at some point I’ll want to swap frames and it bugs me.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘New Toy (Nothing to See Here Road Bike Haters)’ is closed to new replies.