Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • New to strava – searching for local stuff
  • scrumfled
    Free Member

So, i finally caved and joined the willy wagglers on strava…..mainly to help find local stuff I’ve not ridden etc.

Foolishly i thought it would be as simple as a segment explore, whack in the name of a local spot/click on a map and it’d show me everything. Instead I seem to get a list of a few roadie segments and not a whole lot of mtb stuff. Clearly it was an optimistic moment.

Is there a way to do this sort of thing? I dont mind paying for it, as long as it actually does what i want.

legend
    Free Member

Strava heat map might be handy here too

martinhutch

Often if you can’t see a segment it’s because either the start or the end point aren’t in the map frame – zooming out can make them pop up.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

I think the heat map has been updated recently.

In an area that isn’t well riden the routes I’ve rode over Winter are much more prominent now

mintimperial

Seconding the heatmap. Go here, turn opacity up to 100%, zoom in on your area, then have a poke around. I’ve turned up some new things in my neck of the woods from this, and I’ve been riding round here for nearly 25 years…

jonba
    Free Member

You don’t need to find loads of segments to link up. What I do is find a few then start to look at the rides on the leaderboard. Have a look at where the top 10 or so riders are going. You’ll see other segments on their rides and you can repeat the process building up a picture of where people are riding. Or you can just copy there loops.

Doing it this way filters out a lot of the roadie segments since people tackling one off road segment will generally have been on an off road ride.

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

Lovin’ the folks that Strava their take-off at the airports!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘New to strava – searching for local stuff’ is closed to new replies.