Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • New to road riding
  • 13thfloormonk

Enjoy!

Google Map can be your friend, although it seems massively glitchy at the moment.

Look for routes- I used to try and link interesting places but now I try an link climbs

I especially agree with this.

I wouldn’t be too fussed about the group thing, riding with mates, drafting, changing the lead etc is fun in places, but I think I’d get massively frustrated having to sit in a group for a whole ride.

If you’re riding a ‘boring’ section of road, its probably flat and/or straight, so a perfect excuse to try out your time trialling! No road should ever be ‘boring’ if you’re trying hard enough (a headphone in one ear and the right choice of music can help MASSIVELY but thats a whole other argument).

My mountainbike is in the corner, looking awfully clean and awfully unused. Poor thing.

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

not a normal problem with a stock road bike.. do you have a weird position on the pedals? or massive 6.0s? 😉

daleftw
    Free Member

Nah, I’ve just put the clipless pedals on and clipped in, so my foot is in the ‘right’ position and still happening.

I do have canoes like, size 11 🙁

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

oh well. tight geometry is desirable, just don’t turn any corners.

titusrider
    Free Member

i get it on my 50cm Cannondale even with small feet, as before only ever noticed it trackstanding, otherwise never beeen a problem

daleftw
    Free Member

Yeah, think it’ll just take some getting used to. Won’t be putting the clipless pedals on for while though because that combination will end badly 😆

daleftw
    Free Member

titusrider – Member
    live by the rules:
    http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

Yeah, my mate made me aware of the rules when I told him I’d just be wearing my usual Endura baggy shorts on the bike 😆

D0NK

Re: The turbo trainer – Yeah, already got one

take one of the greatest sports in the world and take all the fun stuff out of it. Awesome.
    I can just about cope with running machines coz running is rubbish anyway, no way could I hack turbo sessions tho.

But you know, each to their own.

get out find a nice smooth open road and break yourself, thrash your legs so hard they are shaking and you have difficulty walking through the front door when you get home. Road bikes are good for breaking yourself.

daleftw
    Free Member

D0NK – Membertake one of the greatest sports in the world and take all the fun stuff out of it. Awesome.
    I can just about cope with running machines coz running is rubbish anyway, no way could I hack turbo sessions tho.
    But you know, each to their own.

get out find a nice smooth open road and break yourself, thrash your legs so hard they are shaking and you have difficulty walking through the front door when you get home. Road bikes are good for breaking yourself.

See, now I love my turbo trainer because I kill myself on it. I love seeing how high my heart rate is, how much sweat is dripping off me. Sounds daft, but I tend to push myself harder on the turbo 😆

Love my 15 minute warm up, sprint for 30 seconds, recover for 4 minutes, sprint for 30 seconds, rinse and repeat routine.

D0NK

as a training aid they kinda make sense and yeah I guess you can go balls out without having to worry about traffic, still not proper riding tho is it? Where’s the speed, the adrenaline, the rushing wind, the views, the fresh air?
    I’m oot 🙂

daleftw
    Free Member

D0NK – Member
    as a training aid they kinda make sense and yeah I guess you can go balls out without having to worry about traffic, still not proper riding tho is it? Where’s the speed, the adrenaline, the rushing wind, the views, the fresh air?
    I’m oot

Get all that on the TV I can watch while doing it man. 😆

Haze

If/when you get the spare cash I would seriously consider ditching the CB’s and buying dedicated road shoes and pedals.

Easily the best ‘upgrade’ I made early on, I thought I was doing fine on my Candy’s until I stepped into some proper pedals!

edhornby

proper road pedals and shoes are a worthwile addition, the shimano RL450 or what ever they call them, the bottom of the range ones are great

toe overlap does happen on rare occasions but shouldn’t on corners; hands on the bottom of the drops covering the brakes, elbows bent and tucked in, outside foot at the bottom of the stroke, press on the outside pedal, slight cock of the inside knee and look forward through the corner

oh yeah, don’t put tools in your pocket unless they are in a protective something, otherwise they become an implement to puncture the skin on your back if you come off, the pockets are for food and a small packing waterproof/arm warmers for emergencies

garmins aren’t necessary either, just print out rough directions from google maps at work.

enjoy 🙂

daleftw
    Free Member

edhornby – Member
    toe overlap does happen on rare occasions but shouldn’t on corners; hands on the bottom of the drops covering the brakes, elbows bent and tucked in, outside foot at the bottom of the stroke, press on the outside pedal, slight cock of the inside knee and look forward through the corner

oh yeah, don’t put tools in your pocket unless they are in a protective something, otherwise they become an implement to puncture the skin on your back if you come off, the pockets are for food and a small packing waterproof/arm warmers for emergencies

Like I say, I’m fine when the bike is moving, just when I have to pedal and turn – Like turning left at a T junction. Will just take some time to get in the habit of pushing off, turning, then pedalling.

Second point is a great shout, definitely getting myself a saddlebag.

iainc

daleftw – if you want a nice new small saddlebag I have one on the classifieds 🙂

stevewhyte
    Free Member

I just love rule 42.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I turbo I the winter, makes a significant difference to my mtb riding. I’m just that much fitter. It serves no other purpose. When it’s warmer I ride more out doors. Makes sense to me.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Most of the rules are BS.

But any time you see a guy on a decent road bike in baggys you do wonder what he’s trying to prove.

wingnuts

Was riding with Fedor den Hertog in 197something (google him) when he was on a visit here. He said to ride well you had to do miles and eat peas! He obviously hadn’t heard of the rules ….. He was wearing one of those full flap fur hats!

D0NK

any time you see a guy on a decent road bike in baggys you do wonder what he’s trying to prove

that he doesn’t like having his spuds on show?

CaptJon
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    Most of the rules are BS.

But any time you see a guy on a decent road bike in baggys you do wonder what he’s trying to prove.

That most of the rules are BS?

AndyP
    Free Member

any time you see a guy on a decent road bike in baggys you do wonder what he’s trying to prove
    that he’s got a really small nob and is more concerned about looks than performance.

jam-bo

what if i’m just riding to the shops?

cynic-al
    Free Member

You’d change into mtb baggies to ride your decent road bike to the shops?

jam-bo

no. but I live in the tropical SW and wear shorts quite a lot.

lycra ones round the house are a bit over the top….

cynic-al
    Free Member

Oh well, just for you, I will re-state my proposition:

But any time you see a guy on a decent road bike doing a training ride in baggys you do wonder what he’s trying to prove.

That OK? 😉

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘New to road riding’ is closed to new replies.