Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • New (to me) car concerns – what to do?
  • andyl
    Free Member

Bought a 2nd hand E-class estate from a dealer on Monday. Was the spec I was looking for, from a large motor group (actually a Kia dealership), and travelled 5hrs by train to get there so not local.

Was told (by email) that it was full MB service history and they would also service it before sending it out but when I asked about the gearbox they realised that was “due” and as they couldnt do it so offered to knock off the money of a local independent gearbox oil change near to me. That was preferred to me as then I know the correct oil has been used.

Drove it home and when parking up and noticed after a while that the rear suspension dropped a little. Checked it the next morning and it was still going down…gave it another day and it was now slammed with the tyres up in the arches so air suspension had a leak.

Called them up and they admitted to noticing that too but their mechanic said it was just the air suspension lowering when the engine was off (it’s not). They have agreed to have it fixed at a local independent but oddly commented that they will only pay for one attempt and if that doesnt sort it then it’s on me to sort out.

Starting to feel a little uneasy so have also just called Mercedes to check the “full dealer service history” and then have confirmed no MB service record for the last 45k miles! Pack from the previous owner does have receipts from a MB dealer for aircon work in the missing period but I called them and they said they didn’t service anything but the aircon and confirmed my MB print out dated just before the first of the two missing services was due is the last one on the MB system.

Car is booked in to be sorted next Thursday so is currently sat on it’s bump stops on the drive where it has sat since Monday evening. Good job I got the train up instead of driving up in my old car and getting them to scrap it.

The comments about only one attempt to fix and the 45k of missing service history are concerning me. Reject the car and tell them to come and collect or go ahead with the repair and gearbox oil change and ask the independent to do a full check and see what else they pick up?

Worried this is about to turn into a very expensive experience if things have been neglected.

RustySpanner

What else have they lied about or ‘not noticed’?

I’d return it.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Reject the car and tell them to come and collect

That’s what I would do.

The dealer sounds like a right shower.

If they told you it has a full MB service history and it doesn’t, then that’s goods wrongly described, which is a criminal offence.

Get rid.

Houns

I’d reject it, them to collect as soon as money refunded

andyl
    Free Member

when I turned up I noticed a poorly repaired stone chip on the windscreen they hadnt noticed and a split in the paint on the rear of the roof against the tailgate they has also missed. Couldnt get any more off the price, they spend £650 getting it ready for sale so I suspect they have messed up on this one and there was not much profit left it in before this problem.

Been hunting for this spec for a while and generally in very good condition – steering wheel and the real leather seats look like new.

Panoramic roof so even if the roof needs respraying it would only be a small section of roof to be sprayed.

angeldust
    Free Member

when I turned up I noticed a poorly repaired stone chip on the windscreen they hadnt noticed and a split in the paint on the rear of the roof against the tailgate they has also missed. Couldnt get any more off the price, they spend £650 getting it ready for sale so I suspect they have messed up on this one and there was not much profit left it in before this problem.

How old is the car, what is the mileage, and what did you pay?
    Just trying to get an idea if expectations are realistic.

andyl
    Free Member

Irritatingly I loved the 4hr drive back. 204hp, 500Nm of torque yet was averaging over 50mpg all the way back and not exactly driving like an old man.

When I got back I checked the tyre pressures and they were at 26psi front and 30 rear (should have been 32F and 35R) which didn’t impress me but the mpg should go up a bit more again with the correct pressures.

Not sure I can face hunting around for another car with this spec (full AMG, panoramic, real memory leather, DAB etc) but equally don’t think I want this anymore. Should just stick with my old banger and buy another bike!

Anyone spotted a decent T5 for sale? Only other vehicle that appeals but will be crap MPG in comparison.

SaxonRider

Send it back, ASAP. The dealership sounds like scum.

Cougar

Buy with your head, not your heart.

They’ve lied to you. If it were me I’d be telling them to have it collected, repaired, fully serviced and returned to you in the state they told you it was in when you bought it. If they refused, I’d reject it for a full refund. I wouldn’t be cocking about with any third party garages, that just muddies everything.

andyl
    Free Member

How old is the car, what is the mileage, and what did you pay?
    Just trying to get an idea if expectations are realistic.

5.5 years, 100k. I accepted the cosmetics (+ other little ones) as one of those things, just irritated as I asked them on the phone about any cosmetic problems and they said their usual bodywork guy had looked over it and sorted anything…More mileage than I wanted but similar mileage cars with less spec are about £1-2k cheaper depending on private or trader sale so about right.

It is the lack of MB history and selling it with a known suspension fault that are my gripe.

andyl
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be cocking about with any third party garages, that just muddies everything.

I would rather a local independent who knows Mercs did any work but wary about spending money to put things right if there might be more faults that mean I still reject it. Then I am more out of pocket but a few hundred £ might be worth it to get it checked out fully.

I was planing on having it serviced again at the end of the summer if all was going well with it as I have no idea if the dealer used the correct oil and genuine MB filter when they did it before sale. They did use Mintex pads so didn’t scrimp on that.

Not sure I would call them “scum” I think someone messed up and they are not making any money on this one. But then there are a few porkies being told.

legend
    Free Member

The garage knew you were 5 hours away and after a specific spec (for whatever reason). They’ve lied about the condition, the history and then they’ve punted it out the door with **** suspension. They saw you coming a mile off unfortunately

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

With regards what your legal rights actually are in this instance and practical advice on how to resolve your problem, call these guys and get proper advice instead of a combination of individual opinion and ill informed information from a bunch of MTBers…. 😉

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/get-more-help/if-you-need-more-help-about-a-consumer-issue/

andyl
    Free Member

I know the legal situation (quite clued up on that) but what I was after was the human thoughts (head over heart etc) whether my thoughts to return it were correct or if I was over-reacting.

jam-bo

Sounds like a dog that they were happy to punt.

Get your money back while you can and move on.

deker
    Free Member

I’d be taking it back, it might be worth joining mbclub.co.uk as there’s a few guys on there who work in the trade and can get the car you’re looking for, I haven’t been on there for a while but when I did they were a good bunch with very few dramas

Rich_s

Reject it.

Just out of interest, the dealer group didn’t begin with a B did it?

Jamie
    Free Member

Seems fairly obvious the OP should reject it, and that he has fallen in love with the car and will keep it.

136stu
    Free Member

OP, the suspension thing seems to be a common fault. Just spoken to my brother who has an 2010 E Class and had the same thing (as did a mate of his). The fault is with sensors on the rear axle and he thinks it cost about £150 per corner to get them replaced at an independant. Having said all that he still occasionally gets the dropped suspension but it now seems to be an issue with the car getting up to temperature (according to a message on the dashoard) – if he sits with the engine running for about 30 minutes it will rise again. His words “its like an effin clowns car”. Hope that helps you decide what to do.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Sounds like you’ve bought a bit of a shed there.
    Air suspension can be insanely expensive to fix, if it’s anything like Audi prices for the all-road you can be looking at anything up to £1k per corner for replacement air springs if you’re using genuine parts.

I’d be returning it for a full refund there. It’s quite clearly not as described.

nealglover
    Free Member

….get proper advice instead of a combination of individual opinion and ill informed information from a bunch of MTBers….

He asked for opinions not legal advice.

Personally I would.tell them that they had sold a car that isn’t driveable, was misses robed and that they lied about the service history.

I would give them the option to collect the car, repair the suspension and the damage, then redelivery it.
    Or refund then collect.

Depending on their attitude I would.also consider Trading Standards for the lies about the Service History.

cornholio98
    Free Member

The car has not been serviced as per their sales pitch.

The car has known defects they did not reveal.

Do not spend any money on fixing things yourself, stop driving it around just tell them to come and collect it for a full refund.

You sound like you want the car and are prepared to give the dealer a chance to dick you around until it is too late and you cannot return the lemon.

Just my thoughts

andyl
    Free Member

It’s been sat on the drive since Monday. Got back, took the Oh out for a quick round the block spin and then parked it up. The free 7 day insurance did not cover me for taking it to work so couldnt use it tuesday morning and then I noticed the suspension fault was serious.

Bought this as I wanted a big, safe, reliable but 50mpg+ car for getting to work and for taking the OH and nephew on trips. Tried Audis, VWs and BMWs and also the smaller C class but the E class was the one that suited the bill and have had the local MB dealer looking for a car for me. Only other vehicle was a T5 but the MPG wont come close nor will it waft along but I think after this I will look at them again and get a cheap petrol golf/A3 as a run-around.

scotroutes

Any subsequent buyer may be put off by the lack of service history so you’ve a potential future hit to take too.

Cougar

A hundred thousand on the clock racked up in five years and no service history? Not on your nelly, kick it back.

legend
    Free Member

Bought this as I wanted a big, safe, reliable but 50mpg+ car for getting to work and for taking the OH and nephew on trips. Tried Audis, VWs and BMWs and also the smaller C class but the E class was the one that suited the bill I really really wanted and have had the local MB dealer looking for a car for me. Only other vehicle was a T5 but the MPG wont come close nor will it waft along but I think after this I will look at them again and get a cheap petrol golf/A3 as a run-around.

There’s nothing special about what you say you are looking for. Sounds like you were sucked in by the big flashy, yet surprisingly affordable, Mercedes

tonyg2003

The air suspension should not drop overnight. It could be something simple like a split pipe but if the bellow are split and it’s overworking the compressor you could be looking at +£1k bike.

I know that it’s taken you quite a while to find the right car but there will be another one along at some point.

I’m on my 2nd eclass estate and the 3rd is on order. Great cars!

darkplunger
    Free Member

If it were me I’d take the reject option. Based on these initial issues the car would always be tainted in my mind, regardless of how well repaired. Plus I have to agree with others, it sounds like they sold you a lemon. Good luck.

tonyg2003

I’m not sure a leaky pipe on a suspension unit makes a car a “lemon” but I’d prefer a full service history.

Del

get rid immediately.
    don’t go blowing a chunk of cash on a motor who’s last owner was captain kirk.

lunge

Run away, run away quickly, irrelevant of what you heart might be telling you. Get a refund, give them the car back, find another one. No way in the world you should be keeping it.

richmars

I’m not sure a leaky pipe on a suspension unit makes a car a “lemon”

No, but the bit about they’ll pay for one attempt to fix it suggests they know how serious the fault is.
    Walk away.

Dickyboy

If you do reject it make sure you get the money in the bank at time you return the car – too many stories of people loosing their money this way 🙁

doublezero
    Free Member

Get a refund, the right car will come along, just don’t be in a rush. If you had to sell the car tomorrow you would never get your money back as the full MB service history is not complete.

Its great to have a nice car, but a bitter aftertaste from poor service, the feeling that you’ve been turned over would sour the experience for me.

cornholio98
    Free Member

I’m not sure a leaky pipe on a suspension unit makes a car a “lemon” but I’d prefer a full service history.

For sure but selling a car with full service history up to the 100k milage but then disclosing that for the last 45k only the air con has been serviced (or been recorded other work may have been done but is not recorded) alongside not disclosing that there is leaking suspension does not show the dealer in a good light.

nealglover
    Free Member

don’t go blowing a chunk of cash on a motor who’s last owner was captain kirk.

A hundred thousand on the clock racked up in five years

Do people.really perceive that as big miles?

I do 60 – 70k per year. I would consider 20k per year pretty average if I was buying.

scrumfled
    Free Member

Its not that high mileage, but the ammount of deceit would make me suspicious. The “one go only” on the repair would make me VERY wary.

If your heart is set on it, get an AA/RAC inspection and commence renegotiation from there. Just bear in mind you’ve got a car with a partial service history only.

Cougar

Do people.really perceive that as big miles?

Average annual mileage in the UK is about 8,000, skewed in favour of diesels (ie, the diesel average is higher than that, petrol lower). 100k in five years in a diesel isn’t particularly unusual, but 100k in five years and no recent service history would concern me greatly.

ji
    Free Member

What about asking your local indie garage to look over it (but do no work) and get a report from them as to what needs doing before making a decision?

Air suspension is a pig to sort – different make (Lexus) but eventually went to coil overs after spending close to £2k on replacement sensors, replacement airbags etc. Be sure you really want the hassle, as it sounds more like the bag is split than the sensor – when the sensor went the car would ride high or low as it was driving, when the bag got a hole it would do as you describe…

ernie

I would have alarm bells ringing : I had (poor) historic experience with a Citroen with air suspension. It did exactly what you have described. Fortunately we had the extended warranty that covered parts (£1250) and labour. The garage (main shitreon dealer) didn’t replace a part that they should of which subsequently failed with additional garage time and thankfully still under warranty. Total cost was over 2k. The car is now gone (thank any diety you want) and replaced with 59 plate Volvo v70 with 25k on the clock and full Volvo history. Buy with the head and I hope it works out for you.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘New (to me) car concerns – what to do?’ is closed to new replies.