Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • New to Lycra – advise me
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Following on from my sore arse thread yesterday (http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/sore-arse-after-30-mile-ride-change-saddle-or-arse) I have decided the best way to cure the problem is not to MTFU but to spend money on new kit as this is bound to solve the problem.

This means buying some proper shorts. Is there much wrong with these : Pearl Izumi Slice Ultrasensor Shorts From £31.94

Also, once I have my shiny new shorts, how do I take care of them? I assume that as I am wearing no undergarments, the chamois will mold to my body shape. When I was the shorts will this molding disappear? Is there any special way of cleaning them? Is it worth buying Assos Active Wear Cleanser From £11.99

Finally, i hear talk of Assos creme. I assume that it is this : Assos Chamois Cream From £11.99. Is it a nice to have, an essential, something only used by those foreign types?

It says ‘avoid intimate areas’. I consider my arse, ball bag and all bits between quite intimate. If I avoid these areas, where the hell do I put it? Does it really just mean ‘not for internal bits’?

Dibbs
    Free Member

All my kit goes in the wash on a 40C normal wash and then in the tumble dryer on warm, this includes my £110+ Assos bibshorts. I’ve been doing it several times a week for more than 10 years and haven’t had any problems yet. I don’t let my wife touch my kit as it tends to disappear for a week or so if I do. 🙄

Edit: I’ve never bothered with the Assos washing stuff (even though the shorts come with a sample), but the cream seems to work especially on longer rides.

Diane
    Free Member

As a rule i’d say generally the more you pay the comfier they are.
    My bestest are Altura pro gel.

Ordinary wash

winterfold
    Free Member

That means don’t put it up your bottom or down your japs

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Is there any real difference between lycra MTB shorts and lycra road shorts?

What is the advantage of bib shorts over normal shorts?

and GOSH aren’t some of them expensive!

hilldodger
    Free Member

Those Pearl Izumi look good, not tried that particular model but their kit is usally spot on.
    The pad will soften with use – washing should, if anything, help this.

I wash lycra on 30’C synthetic, slow spin no dry & don’t use a biological detergent.

As the ass lube, I’ve never bothered even for multi day rides but many seem to not be able to go round the block without their claggers greased up with minty goo – try it ‘dry’ first and see how it feels 😕

hilldodger
    Free Member

WorldClassAccident – Member
    What is the advantage of bib shorts over normal shorts?

you don’t get a waistband so no constriction, also once in place they are far less likely to slip – can make trailside comfort breaks a bit of a faff though……

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Bib shorts are also warmer on the lower back and mean you dont give a builders smile as the lycra shirt slowly but surely climbs over the love handles 🙂

Having a pee can be difficult with bibs so they are not ideal if you are planning on hitting the pub afterwards…. stripping off in the mens toilet is not good news.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

WEll you are going to start a big row now! Bib shorts mean that when you are bending over you don’t have the seam around your middle, lots of people on here will say they’ve never had a problem with that (I hadn’t either) however once you have worn bibshorts you realise how much more comfier they are (although a pain for going for a wee!_ I refuse to spend silly money on Assos kit but again you’ll get folk on here saying it’s worth it. I do think you have to spend some decentish money (ie not £13) to get some decent shorts. I love Giordana which are a mid range brand; got some bib shorts for £49 from wiggle with £5 off voucher!

I was always sceptical about chamois cream but bought some for a 90 mile road ride and it was phenomenal, just rub it all over the chamois do a bit of “ooooahhh” when it’s cold on the bottom and you’re sorted.

As for washing kit I wash it on 30degree wash and then hang it all up to dry never had a problem.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

A Pair of Giordana Tenax bibs is all you need.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Pearl Izumi Slice Ultrasensor shorts ordered. No bum creme yet.

thanks

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I’d also recommend washing your bibs in a laundry bag as regularly letting them loose with the rest of the washing can stretch them over time.

clubber
    Free Member

bibs suit some, not others – I prefer my non-bib shorts but many (most maybe) seem to prefer bibs. They are good in the winter though as they keep your lower back warmer I find.

As to what’s good, it really depends. Some people really struggle to ride without getting saddle sore irrespective of all the expensive features and various gels/creams/etc while others could ride in hair shorts filled with sand and still be fine. Best bet IMO is to try some decent shorts (usually cost £30-£50) and see how you get on with them. Only if they really don’t work would I suggest starting to spend more in the hope of sorting the problems out. FWIW, my most comfortable shorts are comfortably the cheapest – a £35 Northwave fairly basic model – so don’t be fooled that spending more inherently means more comfort.

One thing I have noticed though, for me at least – shorts that have a pad with either moulded or stiched folds in (like the pad shown in this pic) tend to be more comfortable than traditional flat pads because they’re less likely to ruck up/crease once on and this prevents rubbing.

Trekster

use baby botty/nappy cream instead of the expensive stuff
    other than endura I have some el cheapo Aldi gear which is Ok. My preference is for bib shorts for all the reasons above.

stayhigh

Sorry for the slight hijack but how do people find the DHB Pace shorts, in particular the padded 3/4’s?

MRanger156
    Free Member

The higher end DHB bibshorts are excellent.

Keva
    Free Member

Pearl Izumi kit is very good, those shorts should be alright, it’s more about finding a brand which fit comfortably though. Tbh the arse discomfort you’re suffering is more than likely to be not being used to that mileage but good shorts are always nice to wear. During winter months I wear Sugoi bib shorts with baggies over the top.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=63147
    bibs are really comfy and good for keeping warm …but I find them too warm the rest of the year so prefer unpadded lycra shorts under the baggies.

I wash all my bike gear in 40c quick wash never had a problem. One of merino wool tops found it’s way into a 50c wash once and has never quite been the same since 🙁

ar$e-lard ? up to you, I’ve never bothered with it.

Kev

Stuey01
    Free Member

I’d say the arse cream is an optional extra. I use it when I remember, I think there is marginally less soreness with than without.
    Edit: Udderly Smooth is another gooch-creme that is cheaper than Assos and pretty good.

Bibs are fine for peeing, the fronts stretch down well enough. Advantages are increased comfort due to no restrictive waistband, this may not be an issue for you. Also the shorts stay up better at the back, again may or may not be an issue for you.

I find Gore to be a good combo of value and comfort. DHB from wiggle use a very similar pad to Gore and are typically cheaper, but I can’t get on with their sizing so don’t use them unless they are the last clean shorts in the drawer.

flyingfox
    Free Member

I’d strongly recommend spending the money and using bibs. Santini and Craft in particular have surprised me with how comfortable they are but how much cheaper they are.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Girodana Tenax bibs (ladies versions) are my fave too!

DaveRambo

Having bought loads of pairs of shorts over the years, spending about £35 a time I’d highly recommend spending at least double that.

It really does make a difference, you get better quality shorts that are more comfortable and will last at least twice the time of the cheaper ones.

I also switched to bib shorts and find they make quite a difference to the comfort as well.

For the record I wear Endura FS260 bib shorts – Cost about £75 a year or so ago and look and feel new.

I only use cream when I’m riding Mayhem – never needed it for most of the rides I do.

winterfold
    Free Member

bibs. End of. Too bad the OP has already ordered. My guess is the next pair will be bibs.

Your bib should be stretchy enough so you can pee without taking them off and by just pulling it down at the front. If you can’t your gut is too big, or… it’s cold.

Grimy
    Free Member

Stayhigh, I saw a topic on the dhb shorts a while back..Ive found it here: – http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/bib-tights-roubaix-or-normal

Funnily Enough I asked about the PITA of having a pee in bibs, and got the usual sarcastic resonce. But the thread may add value to this one.

winterfold
    Free Member

I have some dhb winter bibtights and they are extremely good quality, fit and warmth. They also have a little italian flag on so the money you save can go on a pimp Castelli jacket and they match.

They also have a short zip on the front.

I dont know if thats the case on the shorts – but shorts should be stretchy enough for you to have a pee – if they are not stretchy enough whoever designed has not ridden a bike for any lenght of time.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

When having a pee, can’t you just position your john thomas down your thigh and piss at will while riding? I am sure I have heard of such things from roadies.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Assos Active Wear Cleanser From £11.99

Stuff like this angers me. It’s a mild detergent ffs. In a little bottle. What a rip-off.

Mind you, I spose I should be happy that idiots pay so much for it. Just get some liquid detergent soap for washing clothes from yer supermarket.

Chammy cream? It’s just a lanolin-based cream, to keep the chammy and your botty soft, and help prevent chafing incorporating hair-stretch. something like this will be just about identical to the spensive Assos stuff. See? More than twice the amount, for half the price.

Don’t allow yourself to be ripped off.

As for shorts; it’s all about the fit. Go to a bike shop and try a few pairs on. Don’t fart in them though. Buy the ones what feel most comfy.

Why can’t you figure this out for yourself? Are you an idiot? 🙄

Coleman
    Free Member

“Why can’t you figure this out for yourself? Are you an idiot?”

Great comment Elfinsafety. They’re just shorts. Buy anything you want that fits!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No I think WCA actually is an idiot. I have good reason to think this. How he copes, I don’t know. If it weren’t for his lovely yet long-suffering wife, I fear he would be bang in trouble. 🙁

Dibbs
    Free Member

As for shorts; it’s all about the fit

Is it? in my experience the quality of the pad makes a fair bit of difference 🙄

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

It’s no good having the finest quality pad, if they don’t fit right… 🙄

radoggair
    Free Member

i ended jup buying 3 sets of team bib shorts and jerseys on ebay last year ( garmin, saxobank(really nice design) & spesh team kit), and they were only £30 delivered for the set. Alright, it took 3 weeks to arrive from china but sizing wise it was spot on, the padding is great, so value for money it was spot on

winterfold
    Free Member

😯 😕 🙄 ❗ ❓

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Bear in mind, right, that WCA is, how shall we say, a ‘larger’ gentleman, so race-whippetesque stuff might not quite be his ‘thing’.

In fact I find the whole idea of WCA and lycra utterly repulsive. It’s put me off me supper. 😥

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

this thread is nothing without pictures???

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No; it’s everything without pictures….

No need for it. Family forum, in’t it?

tazzymtb

dhb shorts have some of the most comfy pads out of any shorts I’ve tried including exceedingly expensive ones.

MoreCashThanDash

fwiw I’ve found dhb shorts, bibs and 3/4s very comfy and excellent value for money – there may be better out there, but dhb are a great place to start if you are new to lycra

RustySpanner

Speaking as a fat git, I’ve always found Gore, Aldi and Decathlon stuff to be very comfy
    Yes, the Gore stuff is better, but not THAT much better.
    Oh, and bibshorts are comfier, but can get too warm in the summer, especilly if you wear a rucksac.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Well they have arrived and seem to fit. i guess I need to try and ride somewhere wearing them now.

Perhaps a night ride so I don’t scare the horses.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

You are wearing something over them, aren’t you? 😯

Please tell me you are… 😥

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘New to Lycra – advise me’ is closed to new replies.