Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • New strap for my Seamaster watch how **** much!!
  • postierich
    Free Member

Took my watch in today for the upmteenth time as the strap keeps falling to bits,fair play to the shop as they have repaired and replaced pins but today when out riding a canal towpath, my watch went awol found after retracing our route.
    So said to them how about a new strap hoping they would do one @ cost Nope £400 said I would leave it and to give me a quote for new pins all the way round. Just checked online and the cheapest I could find was £295.
    Not very happy even though I have worn it daily for the last 4 years surely the straps should last longer than that!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yes, that is crap. Plenty will be along shortly to tell you how their £7 casio is going strong…

Mind you did you expect a new strap to be cheap?

enfht
    Free Member

As requested:

stevemorg2

thats not good – is worth an email to Omega?

the strap on my Seamaster is 12 years old now -I’ve had no problems so it has to be worth asking

BigDummy
    Free Member

I am sorry to indulge in schadenfreude, but I do often wonder whether the sheer quality of an obscenely expensive watch means that it is a good investment.

😉

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve used this chap for my Tag before. Might be worth a look if you have to fork out for it.
    clicky

Xan
    Free Member

I have had mine for nearly 5 years and no problems. Get on to Omega. I found watches of Switzerland the cheapest place for Seamaster maitenance. One bit of advice is dont wear it on the bike. I bought a cheap rubber one for that purpose. A G Shock or something is propably more than suitable.

hora
    Free Member

PISS MYSELF laughing at ENFTH and cynical al 😆

andywhit
    Free Member

Nick one out of the post ?

billybob
    Free Member

can you not buy an animal watch strap!?

woffle
    Free Member

The stupid thing is that I can get you a replica with a bracelet that is identical to ‘gen’ for about a £150 – you can just bin the movement…

(they’re good enough copies to be have links removed at an Omega main dealer without raising an eyebrow)

hora
    Free Member

Postierich, I had Seamasters and realised after cracking the screen etc (difficult but I knew how to fall down stairs etc) that posh watches as for sedatory/dress times. Every other time a Suunto will suffice.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Blimey…hope mine does not go! The spring on the clasp went on mine about 2 years ago, and even then they charged me £100 for a new clasp. Wrote them a big letter of complaint (Omega UK) but they were’nt interested. The jeweller who i bought it from (Beaverbrooks) even backed me up. Lovely watches, crap aftersales…

redthunder
    Free Member

Omega Seamaster = Swatch – Obsolete after a year I was told. My Seamater binned 🙁

Get a Casio 🙂

peajay

Ouch! Had mine 8 years only problems are the orange on the second hand has faided and it lost time, couple of minutes a week that kind of pissed me off as thats the whole point of a watch to keep time?? Wore it every day till about two months ago and have retired it to its’ box, couldn’t face sending it away for a service due to the cost and chance of losing it in the post, now using a casio g-shock, the one that is solar and gets its’ time check via the radio, spot on and deadly accurate,
    PJ.

falkirk_mark
    Free Member

Where’s the buy cheap buy twice brigade now ?

Oxboy
    Free Member

Ouch, dont like reading this thread after shelling out on one last year. Mind you I shopped around and bagged one for £860. I’m hoping its going to ‘see me out’

As for Swatch owning Omega, well they own a lot of watch manufacturers dont they? Also as far as I understand most Swiss watch houses dont make all of the components in their watches anyway.

rOcKeTdOg

£860 for a watch? 😯

stufield
    Free Member

Swatch saved the swiss watch industry, the guys a billionaire, they bought Omega as jewel in the crown and to save to from the Japanese as they’d offered £400m or something like that in the 70s/80s

Nowt wrong with swatch.

Oxboy
    Free Member

Well I was given some money for 20 years service at work and I wanted a keep sake and I’ve always wanted one. You know how it is, money burning a hole in your pocket, you really NEED one etc etc etc!
    😕

Oxboy
    Free Member

No nowt wrong with swatch

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

I had my Omega for my 21st Birthday.I’m now 47 and despite a couple of motorbike accidents and falling down the stairs(not drunk and with a baby in my arms)it’s still going strong. I’ve got a Casio for when i’m mountain biking.
    Post script,my Dad had his Omega for his 21st….still going strong,he’s now 74. Mine is a proper wind-up watch,none of this battery bollocks 😀

aphex_2k
    Free Member

If you like inaccuracy then I guess that’s ok. :p

snowslave

I had a thread on here about a week ago re Omega service. The advice given was aim for the top, and use humour. Very good advice as it turns out.

I found the name of the top Omega bloke in the uk simply by asking the jeweller, and the power of google gave me his email address easy peasy. 1 humour tinged email to the guy and everything was sorted.

Worked for me anyway.

hora
    Free Member

Where’s the buy cheap buy twice brigade now

Not anymore, I remember shopping abroad and you’d buy a full sized automatic Seamaster for say £550

woffle
    Free Member

I’m wearing an Omega Flightmaster that’s almost 20 years older than I am and still going strong…

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

http://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=39293&hl=seamaster+braclet

Worth asking if this is still for sale?

cheers

Paul.

Eggbox
    Free Member

maybe go for the rubber version, which incidentally you can get a replica of on ebay for £20.

cynic-al
    Free Member

My everyday Rolex Oyster is from the 1930’s, beat that!

I also have a seiko and citizen from late 1950’s.

hora
    Free Member

cynic-al, is your Oyster one of the Swiss-made or the Canadian-Franchised Oysters?

alexathome
    Free Member

i’ve got a 38 year old speedmaster i got it serviced by a good chap in bristol for 130 quid (it’s a wind up model) new glass 30 quid new bezel as old one had scratches 60 quid – ebayed the old one for 45 quid. just use a decent watchsmith it’s a lot cheaper! oh and it only keeps perfect time.

Harry_the_Spider

I don’t like the “I told you so” comments that you sometimes get on here but… there is something in the Seamaster manual saying that they are not suitable for impact sports. I’ve got a G-Shock for messing about in because I’d hate to break my Omega.

A mate of mine wears his Seamaster whilst riding. It makes me wince.

Muke
    Free Member

I have one of those £7 Casio watches and the strap snapped.I called into the local key cutting/shoe fixer/watch repair kiosk and the guy says that a new Casio strap will be £14 and will need to be ordered in. Ended up with a new non Casio strap from Argos but even that was £4.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Surely there must be a website for sad watch poseurs? No point in clogging up mtb bandwith this drivel…

cynic-al
    Free Member

hora – Member

cynic-al, is your Oyster one of the Swiss-made or the Canadian-Franchised Oysters?

I have no idea. How could I tell?

Tooks

Swatch own a whole heap of watch companies, Omega being a tiny part of their empire!

They own;

Balmain
    Blancpain
    Breguet
    Certina
    cK/Calvin Klein
    Endura
    ETA/Valjoux (movements)
    Fendi
    Flik-Flak
    Glashütte Original
    Glashütte Union
    Hamilton
    Jacquet-Droz
    Lanco
    Lemania (movements)
    Leon Halot
    Longines
    Mido
    Omega
    Pierre
    F. Piguet (movements)
    Rado
    Swatch
    Tissot
    Unitas
    Universo (watch hands)

Generally, customer service is pretty good amongst the Swatch group companies, but then the main gripe in the top post seems to be about price? Nothing in the Omega world is cheap!

How about a nice custom leather strap from this guy?

Straps

cynic-al
    Free Member

*googles* – yes it appears to be a low rent Canadian one hora.

postierich
    Free Member

Watch bloke is making me some new steel pins for the strap which will be slighty thicker due to the wear on the links.

Only £35 lets see how long they last,its an everyday watch and I,m pretty active hence the wear,girl in the Jewellers always frowns when I go in wearing it when I pick up the post from there.

Rich

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

Aphex,inaccuracy? only if you forget to wind it up. A great watch,that I expect to outlast me.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘New strap for my Seamaster watch how **** much!!’ is closed to new replies.