Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • New SLX brake bleed?
  • sambob
    Free Member

Anyone got a guide? It says it’s a one way bleed, is that bottom to top or top to bottom? If it’s bottom to top is it just a case of injecting fluid at the bottom and collect it at the top until bubbles stop coming out? I guess that’s what the oil funnel is for?

PJay
    Free Member

I think that this is what you need. The brakes being bled here are M575s but I think that all the newer brakes use this method. A top up bleed with a syringe seems to be the way to go.

sambob
    Free Member

Can’t watch that video, it says I don’t have the plug in installed 👿

PJay
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2c6ezHY0A4[/video]
    From You Tube.

sambob
    Free Member

Cheers 🙂

sambob
    Free Member

Would it be possible to do it without using the funnel? Just inject fluid at the calliper and wait for bubbles to stop appearing at the top?

PJay
    Free Member

I’ve never bled the newer, funnel bleed, brakes but I have done a bottom up syringe bleed on newer M595 calipers and old M585 levers (the old style where you just take the resevoir cover off). I assume (but don’t know) that if you can remove the whole resevoir cover from the newer levers (and I don’t know if you can) you could do it that way but the funnel approach seems a lot less hassle.

fibre
    Free Member

Bled my XTR Trails (like new model SLX) via the funnel + some tubing into a pot at caliper end (to catch the old stuff).

Fit the funnel put some oil in, fit tube to caliper end. Then open bleed nipple and pump lever, close bleed nipple and pump lever and repeated until there were no bubbles and lever felt firm with minimal travel. Didn’t use a syringe but you can do.

Just follow the video 🙂

Pridds

Bled mine using the shimano instructions(on the tech docs part of the shimano website)and the funnel and syringe method and it was dead simlple (loads easier than doing my 775’s) and the brakes are great.

sambob
    Free Member

Not got the funnel, that’s why i was wondering if i could do it without. Is it possible to remove the reservoir cover completely? Cheers all.

rob2
    Free Member

you can remove the funnel and push through the oil through from the caliper end. I bled mine this way yesterday. Its a bit of a fag and takes a while to get right but it does work.

sambob
    Free Member

I’ll give it a go tomorrow and see how I get on. Not sure if anyone around here has a funnel though and I want to use them this weekend.

mjrose
    Free Member

I’ve done two sets by just topping up the reservoir with fluid from the bottle. Assuming you haven’t inverted the brakes or touched the caliper then all air should end up in the reservoir. Just pump the lever and top up until no more bubbles.

No guarantees but worth a go….

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘New SLX brake bleed?’ is closed to new replies.