Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • New Simple… making it complicated…
  • oxym0r0n

Okay, so I love the new Simple apart from the, er, simple bit. So, other than completely voiding the warranty and ruining the paint of a perfectly new frame, what is to stop me getting new (sliding) dropouts put on instead from 2souls?

This would still bring it below the cost of getting a full custom build, and no there is nothing else out there that quite fits the bill at the moment
    Kona Honzo
    Pace RC29
    Canfield Bros thingy

i.e. I want a ferrous SS (with sliders) 120mm capable, short back ended 29er

Rorschach
    Free Member

Whats wrong with the nimble 9?

sillyoldman

Or indeed the Honzo?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Whats wrong with horizontal dropouts?

thepodge
    Free Member

seems a bit of a faff just for sliders, I’ve always preferred track ends but each to their own.

I’d doubt that there are many Cotic warranty returns so in reality I think you’d be fine.

Clink

Only 2 rides in, but loving my Nimble 9. Only improvement would be a headtube to take tapered forks, but as i’m running rigid it doesn’t matter.

Mackem

What’s wrong with an EBB?

oxym0r0n

Whats wrong with the nimble 9?

Nothing wrong, I’d just prefer 44mm headtube and I really doen’t like the wrap-around seat tube (sorry)

Or indeed the Honzo?

Frame availability, a bit heavy – I am only about 11 stone and ride quite light so don’t need something quite so beefy

Whats wrong with horizontal dropouts?

Again, nothing wrong but having had both, i’d rather just drop a quick-relase backwheel into my frame, knowing the chain tension is correct, it will sit securely and the brake it lined up.

Rather than have a nutted rear wheel that I might need a chain tensioner on, I have to slide forward to unhook the chain and get the wheel out and then adjust the tension, brake etc to get the wheel in. Less of a problem now I don’t take the wheel off every time I travel but still more hastle IMHO

What’s wrong with an EBB?

Less easy to adjust to changes in gear ratios, harder to change the BB on the Cotic to an EBB. Lots of different standards. No experience using one long term to make fine chain wear adjustments.

Next…

Clink

I don’t think what you want exists – quite.

Honzo is closest but you say too heavy…

sillyoldman

I was surprised how light mine was as a frame and built.

I’m even scrawnier than you too… 😉

Rorschach
    Free Member

Clink….where’s the photos then??

Clink

Oh go on then

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Spanner bikes.

If you don’t like anyone else’s do your own.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Ooooohhhh…….sweet.

oxym0r0n

Hmmm, that Canfield is nice…

If you don’t like anyone else’s do your own.

That is the other route – although far-east Ti seems to be the way to go instead of steel.

Custom is the other option I have been thinking, but just trying to find a cheaper solution…

Might look at the Honzo again

Candodavid
    Free Member
    MrTall
    Free Member

My Honzo should get built up this week, but ‘a bit heavy’ doesn’t really cover it.

My 20L version tipped the scales at 6.98lbs……. 😳

thepodge
    Free Member

Russian Ti is supposed to be good, I think the main one is called Triton or something similar but if the Cotic is almost what you want then why not mod it?

oxym0r0n

Mt Tall – that’s what I’m worried about 😯

Looking forward to Bespoked again!

I think I need to ride a few more 29ers, speak to people at Bespoked and make a decision from there. Although all the Simples might be sold by then 😥

flashes
    Free Member

I too think sliders are the work of the devil.

Can’t beat really simple track ends. I’ve run a few of mine without chain tugs. Just meaty allen bolts, worked well, the only wheel I’ve had come out of true was with sliders, good bye 853 On One…………

simon1975

Track ends +1 🙂

Once I’d bodged a chaintug onto the sliders on my old Kona (to stop it sliding on it’s own), I still never solved the problem of the wheel pulling out of the “vertical” dropouts under power. I say “vertical” because they were angled forward slightly so that you could get the wheel out whilst under chain tension.

And the EBB on the Duster seems to be a nightmare – always tightening (or slackening) in use.

If I were you I’d give the Simple a chance with a bolt-up wheel and chaintug to see whether you like it before cutting it up…

MSP

With sliding dropouts (which I have absolutely no problem with on my pipedream) It would only need one bike, that could be run geared or singlespeed. Seems the logical solution to me.

honourablegeorge

If you want to run the Simple geared, the mechtug that Cotic make for the roadrat will fit – Cy confirmed that for me when I was thinking of buying one. Got a Soul in the end.

Ringo
    Free Member

Oxy, there are loads of us here in the midlands riding every type of 29er going, if you ever fancy try ING a few email in profile

oxym0r0n

Thanks Ringo, I might take you up on that.

I do want sliders, having had a Voodoo Wanga which has been fine with sliders (albeit I mashed a thread from doing up the bolts too tight) and an Orange P7 converted to track ends, which is a right hastle for the reasons mentioned already…

The key I think is having a decent tension screw that the older Kona’s are sadly lacking.

martinh
    Free Member

Transition TransAm29 has a horizontal dropout option but I don’t think they’re sliders.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘New Simple… making it complicated…’ is closed to new replies.