Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • New shimano spd M530 cleats very tight
  • lewisanderson42
    Free Member

I broke one of my M520 shimano spd pedals on a rock hidden in long grass (!!!) and have bought myself some M530 trail spd pedals instead. I have set them to release as easily as possible however, they are still much tighter than my M520 pedals were at the same tension setting.

I had hoped to get one of the more expensive versions of the shimano trail pedal however, the reviews of the M530 were very good and it was cheap.

Does anyone use the M785 (or better) and reckon that its release mechanism is better?

singlespeedstu

I’ve got 530’s and 785’s.
    They feel identical in use to me.

CraigW
    Free Member

Maybe the tread on your shoes is getting caught on the pedal cage?

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Put some oil on the spring pivots and exercise them by clipping in and out a few times.

lerk
    Free Member

I don’t suppose you previously had multi-release cleats did you?

Although you don’t say you’ve swapped your cleats.

nickdavies

How old were your old ones? They wear out so could just be your new ones are as they should be and your old ones are worn out and a lot looser than they should be.

lewisanderson42
    Free Member

Thanks everyone.
    My shoes are shimano M087 so I would be surprised if the tread was catching on the pedal cage. The release just feels really stiff, rather than being obstructed.

I’ll try some oil or grease on the springs and cages, see if that helps. They are totally new though so the springs are in good condition.
    Yes, i’m using multi-release cleats which are about 3 or 4 years old, and the pedals were about 6 or 7 years old.

Agree that old pedals are likely to be worn. I guess i’m just a bit nervous about going out and being unable to release quickly if needed.

And i’ll not splash out on more expensive ones. It would be nice try some though, just to see what they are like.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘New shimano spd M530 cleats very tight’ is closed to new replies.