Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • New shifters, what to expect?
  • Lakes_Puma

I've just taken delivery of a pair of SRAM X9 shifters that I ordered on-line and was quite surprised that they turned up in just a plastic bag with just the user manual with them. They were not listed as OE when I ordered them. Is this normal or should they have been boxed if they were full retail versions?

Also the installed gear cable has some black coating that is already rubbing off in places, what is this?

FuzzyWuzzy

Bit of a grey area really, I think the full retail should be boxed so sounds like they are OE and I thought shops were supposed to list if they are but not sure. Most of the stuff from Merlin seems to be OE if you got them there.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Just pretend you threw the box away already. Oh nice new shifters.

ginsterdrz
    Free Member

Merlin get Shimano in bulk boxes from Madison so some items come in plastic bags from them. Madison are the ones who put parts into retail boxes probably adding expense and wasting cardboard in my opinion-what do you usually do with boxes?

Therefore plastic bag does not always=OE or grey parts.

I have never had a problem with any item from Merlin-top service and everything is warranteed.

Edric64
    Free Member

I buying oe parts saves me money then I am always happy

takisawa2

If the price was good & the kit as expected then I couldnt care less if its on a fancy box that will get binned.
    And less packaging is better for the environment also.

Not sure what the coating is, never used Sram kit.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

MoseyMTB – Member
    Just pretend you threw the box away already. Oh nice new shifters.

+1

nuke

If the price was good & the kit as expected then I couldnt care less if its on a fancy box that will get binned.

+1

Lakes_Puma

Cheers for the replies, they were ordered from J E James.

I was just surprised, but like you all say the boxes just get thrown in the bin so I'm cool with them.

njee20
    Free Member

It's a teflon coating, like XTR cables, makes them shift more smoothly, but it does wear off.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You don't recycle?

Jamie
    Free Member

They are probably knackered if they were not protected by the proper boxes.

I will be a kind samaritan and take them off your hands for a fiver 😉

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘New shifters, what to expect?’ is closed to new replies.