Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • New seatpost time…normal style or cheap dropper?
  • Euro
    Free Member

For a 456 Summer Season (27.2). A quick jook online suggests anything from £15-60 for a normal post but i really like my dropper on the FS. I’m not prepared to pay for a fancy dropper but the hardtail would really benefit from having one (currently using a slow release – allen key jobbie). The TMars ug-dropper with 110mm drop and attractive gaitor can be had for around £50 and would do rightly.

So in STW tradition, tell what i should do – particularly interested in Tmars owners who’ve had them for a while.

VanHalen

My tmars is on a dialled pa. All good. Put some grease or chain lube on it and occasionally lift the boot up to let it dry out if I’ve ridden in the wet. I’ve done this twice so far….

It’s rustic but for £50 I can’t fault it yet. 6 months in. Lots of use.

Could probably like it to go 1inch lower for the rad moments but, to be honest, I’m getting older and less rad.

It can’t be slammed totally in the frame so be aware if you have a taller seat tube.

tomd
    Free Member
    rocketman
    Free Member

For a 456 Summer Season…i really like my dropper on the FS.

I was distinctly underwhelmed when I tried the dropper off my FS on my HT. On the HT the saddle moved more ‘down’ whereas on the FS it moved down and forwards out of the way. Seat tube angle? surprised it made so much difference

Euro
    Free Member

Cheers lads. Looking like a score draw so far.

For the money i’d be content to service it regularly if it continued to work but i’d not be happy with an utter, utter balls of a product, even if it was free. Sounds like you had a ‘mare tom.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Got an RSP Plummet on herself’s bike. Works fine, really easy to service, £80 or so.

tomd
    Free Member

Yeah it was absolute balls. Frustrating as it actually looks quite good in the flesh and clearly most people with the pre 2014 version got them to work with some TLC.

You can still get some of the 2013 ones on ebay, the most obvious difference is the design of the cable entry to the post. Might be worth trying one of those if you must.

Andy-R

Second hand Gravity Dropper? I’ve got two of them, to be honest I couldn’t care less about the “ugliness” factor, they work well, spares are cheap and neither of them cost me more than £70.
    I’d rather pay that than £50 for one of those Chinese ones any day.

buck53

I’ve got an older TMars dropper that I’ve had on my bike for a year plus, no problems at all. Yes I had to give it a service to keep it running sweetly but it’s really easy to do and takes a few minutes.

The only niggles that I had were that it’s possible to over lube it (seems counter intuitive to me) and the inline adjuster on the cable was a bit over-sensitive, I’d give it what felt like a little jib to try and get the ‘lever’ throw spot on and it’s be too far gone the other way.

I got a deal on a hydraulic post otherwise I’d still be happily using it, as it is it’s sat in the ‘to be sold when I can get my act together’ pile. If you’d be interested I wouldn’t want as much as £50 for it. E-mail in profile etc.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘New seatpost time…normal style or cheap dropper?’ is closed to new replies.