Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • New sat nav advice
  • stany
    Free Member

Has anybody got any do’s or don’t’s for a new sat nav to replace our aging Tomtom One XL?
    The wife uses it daily for work, as she home visits clients. It would therefore be handy to have traffic updates.
    Do traffic updates rely on an additional phone connection, or are there snavs that can operate independently?
    It also needs to be used for the annual European holiday.
    That’s all we need from it. No dash cam or speed camera alerts. Older models are fine, but would prefer to buy something new so we have a warranty, just in case?
    I’ve no experience of snavs other than her Tomtom, and I’m happy to admit to being a technosaurus. That said, I’m as capable of the next person at Google.
    Cheers

nickjb
    Free Member

Just use a smart phone in a decent holder. Easy to use, easy to update, live traffic and Europe compatible. Also very cheap if you already have the phone.

snownrock

People still buy satnavs?

legend
    Free Member

Garmin have overtaken Tom Tom these days imo. The one my Mrs got (around 18 months ago admittedly) was cheaper than the equivalent Tom Tom and it had built in Live Traffic for life and Maps for life too. The Tom Tom needed a phone connection and separate map subscription. We also both found the maps and interface better on the Garmin too

stany
    Free Member

True, but that means data usage and supposedly, sat navs have a more accurate gps.

loddrik
    Free Member

Co pilot on smartphone if you need one that doesn’t need data. About £20 now I think. Though I haven’t used mine since driving abroad as Google nav is slightly user friendly.

stany
    Free Member

That was a reply to nickjb
    Snow rock, are you just using a phone too?
    Legend, I don’t see the point in having to connect your phone to get the traffic updates. That’s back to just using your phone?

petec
    Free Member

Here maps is free and offline. It was one of the only benefits of a windows phone. Now of course it’s off there, but on iPhones (and I assume android).

Very good. Used it all around Europe. Your only limit is the amount of space. Obviously the traffic alerts don’t work offline

smurfly13
    Free Member

I got a TomTom for work no so long back – I don’t think you can beat a TomTom for the nav.

This one came with free lifetime map updates and free lifetime traffic (uses radio signals to a little box on the charging lead so no phone signal needed)

spooky_b329

SatNavs are dinosaurs, Google Maps is leaps ahead in terms of accurate traffic data (as everyone using it is reporting back their speed) and also in finding alternate routes.

Recently got myself an Android Auto unit (also Apple carplay), its very nice 🙂 Hooks up to the phone and completely removes any temptation to use the phone whilst at the wheel. (as you can’t really use it without unplugging it from the head unit)

Edit: Its the Sony XAV-AX100

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

TomTom go 5100, world maps with lifetime updates. Traffic updates via built in sim which are incredibly accurate. Quick reroute get and alternative routing on the go, superb unit but a bit pricey.

snownrock

Stany – yes just phone, I haven’t used a satnav for years. Why worry about a separate device when you have an excellent one in your pocket at all times

mark90
    Free Member

Having used a number of mapping apps I have settled on google maps as being the best – always up to date maps and the most comprehensive up to the minute traffic / delay data. Also have Here maps and Navmii installed for fully offline use if required (ie no signal).

CountZero

Having used a number of mapping apps I have settled on google maps as being the best – always up to date maps and the most comprehensive up to the minute traffic / delay data. Also have Here maps and Navmii installed for fully offline use if required (ie no signal).

I use Navmii, used to use Here, I also have CoPilot, Apple Maps and Google maps on my phone. Navmii gives me live traffic updates on the fly with route update, it gives me three route options on setup with time differences, and has only had issues a couple of times when the app has locked up, but seeing as how I use it every day as part of my job, and it’s so far logged nearly 15000 miles* since mid-September with minimal issues, I’m happy to carry on using it.
    *Actully done a few thousand more than that, but not all journeys need the satnav.

nickjb
    Free Member

I mostly use Google maps as the live traffic is very good. Does use data but not much. If data is an issue them maps.me is free and uses no data. That’s what I use in Europe to save roaming charges. No issues with accuracy. Much slicker interface and way more up to date than the Garmin that is integrated into the car.

nealglover
    Free Member

Google maps on Samsung S7 used every day for work, over a thousand miles most weeks and been using it for over a year, previously the same setup on HTC M8 for 2 years.

Hardly uses any data really (just checked, average 400MB per month, for 4500 miles of use)

I’ve never felt the need for a dedicated satnav since google maps became so good.

legend
    Free Member

Legend, I don’t see the point in having to connect your phone to get the traffic updates. That’s back to just using your phone?

Totally agree, it was Tom Tom that forces you to use your phone, Garmin does it all itself

Having a separate unit is still very useful as often on a phone the call screen takes president over the maps and also over the audio. Obviously not ideal if needing to use both functions at the same time. Then there’s the extra data usage too. The Garmin is also very good at avoiding traffic, roughly on a par with Google (but Waze trumps them both)

gavinpearce
    Free Member

Lifetime maps means only while manufacturer supports the device. My tom tom with lifetime maps no longer supported.

Caher

TomTom 5100 traffic is very accurate and no data charges. Have used the unit in Europe and the USA.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

I use tomtom 5100 with built in sim with free traffic and map updates. No payment / subscription needed as included with the unit. On the phone I have tried out waze which was free at the time.

benp1

Poor STW form here. You need to upgrade your car to one with sat nav built in, that’s the obvious answer

The next obvious answer is something like a Garmin Montana, which you can then use for bikepacking on the bike

Phone is pretty straightforward to use actually, and if appointments are set up in the calendar properly it makes directions much quicker as you can just click on the address

windyg
    Free Member

I was surprised how good google maps was, use it all the time now.
    Easy for planning routes, i do it on the pc and just send to my phone.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Google maps – download maps at home for offline use to save data. I certainly wouldn’t buy a dedicated satnav.

supposedly, sat navs have a more accurate gps.

Yeah… right.

johnnystorm

Waze as my first choice, Google maps if address cant be found on Waze and OSMAND+ if I’m starting my journey somewhere without Wi-Fi /3G/4G on my phone. Data use is minimal, Google will let you cache maps if you’re organised beforehand.

nealglover
    Free Member

Poor STW form here. You need to upgrade your car to one with sat nav built in, that’s the obvious answer

Not really. I have two vehicles with built in Satnav (one work and one personal) and I don’t use either of them because google maps is far better.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘New sat nav advice’ is closed to new replies.