Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • New SantaCruz Chameleon 29'' & 650b+; 142mm single speed, but 148mm geared. Argh
  • STATO
    Free Member

That looks great, where can you buy the frame…? 😆

cokie

Sato, HERE (although it’s in the USA..)

kimbers

Most Kona stuff can be bought frame only via the US but not usually until late in the year

is the ti even available? probably still wouldn’t fit a large tyre even if it was….
    what does the steel honzo frame weigh? like 7lbs or something? ok then…

ti in stock frame only several shops in teh uk and takes up to 3 inch at the rear claimed (tho 2.8 in reality)

Ti Tuesday: Visa’s Ti Honzo

theyve been selling the ally one for 2 years and before that the same geo as the Taro….,

are you sure you looked into this ? 😉

Del

quite. are you sure you’ve looked at my requirements? 😉
    less than £shitloads GBP ( by some margin! ), sliding/adjustable dropouts ( would even have considered EBB, but not really keen ) for SS use and to allow gears if i want them, less than 5lb frame weight, will take 27.5+ and 29 ( pref at 2.5 on the 29, 27.5+ really needs to be 3.0 ).
    so i’m afraid the taro, the wo/wozo, the honzo crabron and ti, are all out for one or many reasons. i mean, you can keep saying one of them fits, but that doesn’t make it true. 😉
    now, if you’d said SC have copied salsa’s timberjack, i’d have let you have it, but fine bike though it is, the honzo in any of it’s incarnations fails to meet my specific requirements, which is ok! 😀

shandcycles
    Free Member

OK, I’m still not sure from your answer if you’re talking only about multiple chainrings- it reads like you’re saying that single ring, non-boost and 3 inch doesn’t work, though? Been there, done that, it was fine.

I’m just saying that if the chainline is what it’s supposed to be then it’s going to be close. Especially with short chainstays. Single ring makes it better but Boost makes it more betterer.

@Shand- How does Mr Stooge manage just fine with 135QR!?

No Idea. The 135mm QR is exactly the same as 142mm in this context. There’s no difference. I don’t have any skin in this game. I’m just saying that if you’re designing a bike and you ca squeak an extra few mm clearance by going to Boost then it makes sense.

jim1970

I can’t think of a reason not to get this frame over the Shan GT. No press fit BB, a little cheaper, a little lighter, I like the colour (unlike the Solaris, which makes me sad). I am 6′ 4″ so will need an XL.

It’s for a brand new 29er build, no recycling of bits, any reason I shouldn’t?

Only thing I can think of is the restriction to 120mm forks but I’m not exactly hardcore so think 120mm will be enough. Currently on an XL 26″ Soul with 100mm forks.

wiggles
    Free Member

Only thing I can think of is the restriction to 120mm forks but I’m not exactly hardcore so think 120mm will be enough. Currently on an XL 26″ Soul with 100mm forks.

from the SC website

Fork Compatibility 120mm-140mm

jim1970

@wiggles I assumed as with most dual 27.5/29 frames (including the Shan GT) that the longer forks were only valid for the 27.5. I thought I had read that in one of the reviews but can’t find it now.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

I can’t think of a reason not to get this frame over the Shan GT.

The Shan is painted like a 1980s sports car, the Santa Cruz is a mingin olive colour 8)

jim1970

Yeah, I do love that Rothmans colour scheme. Choice paralysis is a terrible thing.

wiggles
    Free Member

Santa cruz geo charts and build kits are based on 120 fork with either.

batman11
    Free Member

The only real issue with the Shan gt is the sizing it comes up very short in the TT and reach unless you do run it at 120 then it starts to come more inline with modern geometry! I recon you might struggle Jim unless you like a shorter bike of cause.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘New SantaCruz Chameleon 29'' & 650b+; 142mm single speed, but 148mm geared. Argh’ is closed to new replies.